OH NO! Another "what amp to buy" thread!

Blues hurler

Reaction score
OK, OK, I know these can be tiresome, but here goes...30-40 watts, 1X12 or 2X12, something I can lift, price no object, but must be commonly available, not vintage (I'm no expert on amps and want something I can count on to just plug 'n play), probably a combo, cover sonic territory from traditional 50's Chicago blues to ZZ Top (with the aid of a pedal or two). Reverb is a plus. Warm, meaty, tastey.`I've passed my 50th birthday and it's finally time to step up and buy a really good amp. I've been playing things like Traynors and Fender Hot Rods, which are fine, but now I'm looking for EXCEPTIONAL. A real keeper. Waddaya think folks?

MIDNIGHT

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hmm.. :hmm:

check out H&K's tube amp combos :naughty:

or maybe a Peavey will suit your taste? like the Classic 30, or the Valvestate 112? :wave:

or maybe you want a Vox AC30? :wave:

or maybe a Fender Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe? :wave:

or maybe a Marshall DSL 401? :wave:

just throwin' it all out there for ya :p

good luck on your amp quest! :thumb:

:hippie:

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Matchless or BadCat combo's are truly spectacular.

Look into the Mesa Boogie Lone Star series. The Lone Star Special is a killer amp, and does everything you've listed up there.

jpatrickgreen

Reaction score
+1 on the Lone Star series. Perhaps try a Rivera as well if that sound suits you.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok Some amps I have experience with in your range
going from favored to least favored
Marshall JCM 900 4501 or 4502 Difference being 1 12 or 2 12' Celestion
G 12-75's There is a half power switch in the back that brings the amp down to 25 watts. ZZ top tones to classic blues, i have read in more than one place that Jim Marshall actually had this amp built to direct towards Billy Gibbons .
Marshall JTM 30, Now these are nearly 10 years old, but they are more reliable over all than the newer JCM 2000 TSL- DSL's I just got one second hand, repaired and it spanks mine has 2 1-" factory installed Emenence speakers in it.
Fender Hot Rod Series, If you are playing mostly humbucking equipped guitars, I'd steer clear of this one, it can get too muddy and thick in the drive channels
I have played thru a Lonestar, Nice amp, though Mesa sometimes has probs with their clean channels actually sounding decent clean (in my personal opinion and experience ) If you want a good sounding Fender tube amp in that range go for a Blues Deluxe, and find a stomp box that suits your flavor
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Combo, or Mesa Heartbreaker combo,
Both are smoking good amps and I am actually not a huge Boogie fan
Crate V 30 or V 50 All tube combos
Peavey Valveking and Classic 50s These have good clean and working drive tone channels

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Matchless, Bad Cat, Victoria, etc..., so many to choose from in the boutique world. I've been hankering lately for a Vox-y style amp like a Bad Cat or Matchless. Been thinking of going the Ceriatone route.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Maybe a Peavey Delta Blues?
I haven't had the chance to play one, but i've read it's pretty good.

6pack595

Reaction score
Before you buy anything you owe it to yourself to try out an Orange tube amp combo, AD series, or the rocker series. They are true class A tube amps with more tone than any of us deserve. Being one of the coolest looking amps out there does not hurt either.

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Matchless, Bad Cat, Victoria, etc..., so many to choose from in the boutique world. I've been hankering lately for a Vox-y style amp like a Bad Cat or Matchless. Been thinking of going the Ceriatone route.
I have heard good things about the Ceriatones....rumor:shipping cost is HIGH!! Now thats only a rumor I heard.no experiance with'em myself.:fingersx:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I looked that the shipping table on their site and yeah it does look really high, but even with the shipping i'd consider it a pretty good price for the sort of amp your getting.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Havent tried a Ceriatone, Trouble with some Boutiquie gear, hard to find .
The Delta blues is an ok amp but the reverb is a bit shallower than the Classic 30 , I wonder who the dimwatt at Peavey was who decided Tweed should be painted black :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::shock::wtf:

Blues hurler

Reaction score
Hmmm. Tried the Orange 30 Rocker and Mesa Express 5-25. Both good amps, but I don't think they're the ones for me. Always hard to know for sure though in a few minutes in a store with a bunch of other people checking out stuff. Keep looking. Gotta try a Marshall. Thanks for all the input though!

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try some of the new handwired stuff Marshall has to offer now.

I was impressed.

Blues hurler

Reaction score
Came home with an Ampeg R-212R Reverberocket yesterday. It was a good deal, so decided to give it a whirl, and I've got 30 days to return it if I don't like it. 50 watts, 2 channels, 2X12 Ampeg Vintage spkrs (whatever they are). Quite usable at lower volumes, but can be quite loud as well. Very nice cleans and useable overdrive. Clean channel lows can get a bit flabby at high volume (open back) but we'll see how it all sounds when the spkrs are broken in and I use it with the band. It's been discontinued, but this is a new one they had left. Certainly not what I expected to buy, but I really like it so far. Hey, and it looks really cool, which I'm sure makes it sound better, right? In the mean time, I can keep looking for the next 30 days. I really want to check out Marshall and Dr. Z.

tarddoggy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Came home with an Ampeg R-212R Reverberocket yesterday. It was a good deal, so decided to give it a whirl, and I've got 30 days to return it if I don't like it. 50 watts, 2 channels, 2X12 Ampeg Vintage spkrs (whatever they are). Quite usable at lower volumes, but can be quite loud as well. Very nice cleans and useable overdrive. Clean channel lows can get a bit flabby at high volume (open back) but we'll see how it all sounds when the spkrs are broken in and I use it with the band. It's been discontinued, but this is a new one they had left. Certainly not what I expected to buy, but I really like it so far. Hey, and it looks really cool, which I'm sure makes it sound better, right? In the mean time, I can keep looking for the next 30 days. I really want to check out Marshall and Dr. Z.
Take a look at the Reinhardt amps as well:naughty::fingersx:

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
DR Z's are neat combos.

I'm leaning heavily toward a Blues Deville lately. The clean channel is amazing... not quite a 59 Bassman, but your best bet modern equivalent.

LesPRS

Reaction score
You should check out the Rivera Quianas, killer combos.

Case24

Reaction score
Since your familiar with Traynors, I've tried one of the new 50watt Custom Specials and was very impressed with what you can get for about $850 CDN. I like the 15 watt class A / 50 watt A/B switch.

Traynor Amps: All Tube Guitar Combos

Blues hurler

Reaction score
Yeah Case24, I've been keeping an eye out for them, but they don't seem to be in wide circulation yet. I like the YCVBlue. I had one of their 80 watt amps that I popped a couple of Vintage 30's into and it was very nice, but much too heavy to lug around. I'll try one of the new ones when I see 'em. I've tried all the Hot Rods from Fender (I've got a lacquered tweed Blues Jr. with a Jensen in it in my basement right now) and they're good value with good sound, but not quite what I'm looking for now. I'm finding this Ampeg quite nice. Good cleans and just a burnin' OD channel.

Latest Threads