Oh Lords Of The Soldering Pencil(help)

RavenMadd

Reaction score
please look at my mess and tell me what I did wrong ?......50's style of buzzing low volume mess .......can wire a strat ,,,...I'll take it to a tech when the bug leaves
boink.jpeg
bingy.jpeg

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Re flow all of the joints involving the braid on the back of the pots.

What wattage iron do you have, about 40-50W is about the ideal for getting such joins done.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

What wattage iron do you have, about 40-50W is about the ideal for getting such joins done.
This, and also scrape the back of the pots before you solder the grounds. There is a manufacturing film that keeps the solder from making a solid electrical contact, which results in cold solder joints resulting in hum. That film needs to be scraped off in most cases.

Last edited:

RavenMadd

Reaction score

my 40 my brother let a friend disappear with..... got a little 25 weller ....I gotta get a 40

RavenMadd

Reaction score
This, and also scrape the back of the pots before you solder the grounds. There is a manufacturing film that keeps the solder from making a solid electrical contact, which results in cold solder joints resulting in hum. That film needs to be scraped off in some cases.
damn .....can I sand it off with emery paper?......thank u

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. Hotter (40 watt) and faster is healthier for the pots. 25 can be too slow.
I became aware of airflow when installing pickup covers on a set of Duncans for a friend back in the 90s.
Second time I had ever soldered anything heavier than 10ga copper.

I couldn't figure out why my 40w iron kept sticking to the joint.
It worked beautifully when I put the same covers on the same pickups on my Sheraton.

Ya... the ceiling fan right above the table might have had something to do with it.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
my solder is 60/40..... flux20%......from my job ......made in china.....blaah
Ah, then it is likely the 25 watt. You'd probably be fine with the solder you have with a clean tipped 40 watt.

Don't skimp on solder. If you can find it, Kester "44" is the stuff to use. I know Amazon has it.

Kester.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads