Oh Jeez! I did it again. NGD x 2---Flame lovers enjoy

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for a flame top. And the Reverb Gibson shop had some nice specimens. After a few beers, my inner Ace pulled the trigger on 2 nice Cherry Bursts

A 2019 Standard 50's
and
A 2016 Traditional "Premium"

The 19' Standard has MHS pickups(I'm clueless on these- I wanted the top). Has a few minor blemishes but is a tight setup otherwise. Only thing, I can find that is to mention, is as a matter of setup, I throw my fretboard "leveling" tool on the guitars I buy. One of those CNC metal jobbers that you lay on the fretboard to adjust neck etc.... Well, between the 2n'd and 5th fret on the 2nd(A) through 4th strings(G) there is a slight dip where I can see enough light under my tool, to think I might need to adjust the neck. I haven't measure depth tbh, but eyeball gauge says it's excessive(I know subjective). However, bringing that tool out to the edge of fretboard, ie between 1st and 2nd string, or 6th and 5th string and neck is straight. Only "dip" I saw in neck. Maybe I'm too worried, wanted to mention it. Didn't seem to effect playability, but I'm not the best either, so >>>>>>????>>>>???

The Traditional, while beautiful is a concern. They disclosed various issues, and I can accept those. But the nut spacing is throwing me. Cosmetic stuff, I can ignore, if I know it going into the deal(which I did). But my OCD/ADD is messing with me. The Low E to A spacing is .290in and the rest of the string spacing is .275in. While it's not gigantic, I've run the Low E off the fret board many times just doing chord(Maybe I'm an idiot gorilla finger mope?), but I'm not having this issue as much on other guitars. What do you all think? I put a message into the guy and he's been awesome so far, so we'll see. And if they tell me to piss off, I'll just likely but a Tusq XL in and call it a day. The top is too sexy to give up.

Oh, and the necks!!!!! BOYS! The necks are AWESOME! Full 50's sexy feel, but not quite as fat as my other 50's. So I'm calling these 59's and my other one a 58' b/c that's how I roll and I don't know any better lol~!

2019 50's Standard

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg

2016 Traditional Premium
He sent me cream pickup rings and Gold top hats(as I didn't care for the black). I haven't gotten around to setting this up finally. Just plinked and played a minute. I love how the flame is seen through the Cherry burst finish. Both guitars really, but this one even moreso! Compared to the ad pics, it is phenomenal in person. I opened this first. Didn't pay attention to which box I was tearing into, and initially thought this was the 50's Standard as the top was so awesome, and per the pics in ads, the 50's was far superior. In person it's pretty close and would be subjective to the person. And WOW! The maple figuring!!!! I LOVE the streaking! So awesome. Their ad pics didn't do it any justice! Good for me! lol. So why I won't return it, even if I have to replace nut myself.

Clipboard05.jpg
Clipboard06.jpg
Clipboard07.jpg
Clipboard08.jpg
Clipboard0190.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Colnago1

Reaction score
It’s funny, all of my new Gibson’s came with all of those issues and they weren’t sold to me as a second or discounted. Count your lucky stars! Those are nice looking pieces and the playability issues are easy to fix.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
It’s funny, all of my new Gibson’s came with all of those issues and they weren’t sold to me as a second or discounted. Count your lucky stars! Those are nice looking pieces and the playability issues are easy to fix.
Agreed! I'm not going to throw a fit and return anything, I can replace a nut. Just would rather not have to :p

Like some people might think I'm dumb for spending the $ they ask on the Gibson Demo shop/Reverb site. But I live in the sticks. There is no "selection" here! I'd have to drive 2-5 hours to get anything close to more than 2-3 Gibson's in one city/shop. Much less picking out tops(which is my big deal lol). Local GC, 35 mins away, is barren. 3-5 Gibson LP's and maybe one Standard with a crappy top. I've never seen a "good" top at the local GC. Other, local music shops have no LP's.

I love the Gibson shop b/c I can select the top, know the neck specs, and for the most part their descriptions have been accurate to the point of exaggerating the flaws, i.e. I was impressed. Again, these new guitars are fine specimens. Just that little dip in the neck, ? I think I can forget about it! It plays well so far. The Traditional with the nut spacing. That, I cannot ignore. If they tell me to pound sand, so be it. I'll throw another nut in it myself. Hope I don't hose the finish, while doing so. I've done a few Epiphones and that's gone well. But, the Gibson thing has me a bit freaked, not sure how this finish will hold compared to the almost bullet proof Epiphone poly lol. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Would be cool if they offered to do something though.

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Man, the top on that '50s Standard is incredible.
Yeah, some people are lucky enough to live in big cities! With big music shops, and they can play that "one" instrument that speaks to them. I however, live in bumblefrick Illinois, and have to internet "fall in love" lol. When I saw these; the tops on both of these spoke to me somehow. I'm a sucker for a flame top, and especially flame tops; with the figuring of the maple as well. I fell in love with these, but I had just bought other guitars and my budget was blown. I had them in my cart for like 3-4 days agonizing, thinking, I DON'T NEED ANOTHER GUITAR! But, after them being there for days, and me lusting over them. Going to dinner with the wife, having a few beers, saying WTF "I made a bit of money in stocks this year". The wife and kids are well taken care of, so why not treat me lol! What the hell! Yeah, they're mine lol!

Last edited:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Have you been listening to the liquor Randy ??

Cause you are on fire !!
I AM THE LIQOUR!
liqour2.jpg

Oh, and to clarify, what spoke to me about the tops. Besides the flame/figuring. I loved that you could see the flame through the cherry burst. Maybe, that's normal for you all. But again, anything Gibson I've seen in real life, the Cherry drown out the flame in the top. These seemed to me more "aged"/faded, and awesome!

I'm falling in love with this 2019 50's. It has some really nice patina starting in the finish. Like early checking. The poor man's "Murphy's law" lab lol.

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
Nobody does stuff drinking they didn’t think about when sober.
Said the tattooed man...

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Nobody does stuff drinking they didn’t think about when sober.
Said the tattooed man...
Hey, I'm not blaming the liquor. You are 100% correct. The liquor, just eased the trigger ;p. And, for the record! So far, despite the nut issue; the liquor seems to be correct! The tops are so much better in real life vs what pics show. The nut issue is just annoying and delays my gratification a bit. I cannot be happy playing this guitar until it's fixed. Too much "Rain Man" in me! OCD and First world problems I suppose. I'm a dork!

sonar1

Reaction score
We deserve to be happy.
Whatever it takes.
Nobody gets hurt by it.
Guitars are not harmed by us.
I do not feel guilty about it.
Nor does my dealer.
Especially not my dealer!
:slash:
8830AC67-DA94-451B-BDCC-319AC531D2CE.jpeg

My latest ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That nut spacing is fine. The high e needs to be in a little as it is easy to pull off the fret board. That’s not a problem with the low e.

Latest Threads