Oh !!! Henry Juszkiewicz !!!

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Henry Juszkiewicz

Henry Juszkiewicz, Chairman and CEO of Gibson Guitar Corp., grew up in Rochester, NY. With a passion for music and superior academic skills, he enrolled at the General Motors Institute in Flint, MI, a five year co-op engineering college. Sponsored by GM's Delco division, he gained experience in a variety of different jobs at Delco's 6,000-employee electronic components plant in Rochester. Putting his musical skills to work, he worked his way through school playing guitar - a Gibson, of course - in various rock bands playing for parties and weddings. After graduating with honors, he worked at Delco Products for two years as product manager while studying for an MBA in night school at the University of Rochester. He completed his MBA at Harvard University on a General Motors Fellowship. Juszkiewicz then joined the New York firm of Neiderhoffer, Cross and Zeckhauser, Inc., a pioneer in the area of middle-market deals, where he rose to the position of executive vice president of mergers and acquisitions. He left the firm in 1981 and, with two former Harvard classmates (David Berryman and Gary Zebrowski), acquired Phi Technologies of Oklahoma City. Within one month he turned the struggling technology firm into a highly profitable company. In 1986, Juszkiewicz and his partners acquired the faltering Gibson guitar operation from the Norlin corporation. Juszkiewicz's aggressive management style again effected an immediate turnaround, and Gibson became profitable within a month's time. With creative and innovative marketing tactics he concentrated on the consumer rather than the retailer - a reflection of his personal experience as a guitar player. Refocusing the company on achieving the highest possible standards of quality and customer service, he drove Gibson from the brink of closing to a company that has regained worldwide respect with annual average growth of 20 percent over the last decade. Juszkiewicz began fulfilling his vision of Gibson as a full-line, global musical instrument company by acquiring other instrument companies, establishing a Gibson-owned European distribution center with joint-venture distributors, and acquiring manufacturing facilities in China. He dedicated a standalone division to R&D, resulting in the 2003 introduction of the world’s first digital guitar, which represents the biggest advance in guitar technology since the invention of the electric guitar over 70 years ago. In 2004 he took Gibson into the consumer electronics market with the award winning Wurlitzer digital jukebox, the most comprehensive home music system ever made. Today, the Gibson family of brands includes Epiphone fretted instruments and amplifiers, Dobro® resonator guitars, Flatiron mandolins, Slingerland drums, Steinberger basses, Tobias basses, Kramer guitars, Maestro effects, and Baldwin, Hamilton and Wurlitzer pianos. Henry Juszkiewicz resides in Nashville, Tennessee, with his wife Catherine and three children.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
I've never actually seen video of him playing, just still shots of him holding guitars. Paul Reed Smith on the other hand, can really play and is pretty good too.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
uh :shock: yes he can play i have seen him on stage.. Henry is like the kid from home alone character but all grown up...a little on the wild crazy side not at all a stuffy prude that I was expecting...I was expecting him to blow me off but in fact he was rather kool & actually seemed interested in what I had to say .I was telling him i was looking foward to tour the factory & he offered me a private tour & that any of my questions would be answered & made sure any of my needs & suggestions would be taking care of would be answered, Hell he even joked & called out to me from onstage...:shock: He really changed my few on what I was thinking of Gibson :wtf:

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've never actually seen video of him playing, just still shots of him holding guitars. Paul Reed Smith on the other hand, can really play and is pretty good too.
Paul is also in a band & is like old school runs PRS like Gibson was in the 50's He walks the floors & really knows his employees & families.Ps. He really builds guitars Too:thumb:

Mr Bones

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
isnt there a story about PRS wanting to buy a dumble, but wasnt deemed good enough.

U

Unknown

uh :shock: yes he can play i have seen him on stage.. Henry is like the kid from home alone character but all grown up...a little on the wild crazy side not at all a stuffy prude that I was expecting...I was expecting him to blow me off but in fact he was rather kool & actually seemed interested in what I had to say .I was telling him i was looking foward to tour the factory & he offered me a private tour & that any of my questions would be answered & made sure any of my needs & suggestions would be taking care of would be answered, Hell he even joked & called out to me from onstage...:shock: He really changed my few on what I was thinking of Gibson :wtf:
Oh, okay!

He must've been having an off day when I saw him. It happens.

idlewild south

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have removed the hipwaders now after reading that;I am now on higher ground and am OK.

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson's Instrumental Leadership
Gibson Guitar Corp. Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz sees his new, handpicked executive team as the key to future success.

By Tonya Vinas March 1, 2004 -- Henry Juszkiewicz started his career in manufacturing and was educated through the General Motors Institute, Flint, Mich., ultimately receiving an M.B.A. from Harvard University on a GM scholarship while working for Delco Products, a GM division. After GM he worked in middle-market mergers, turned around a struggling tech firm in the early '80s, and in 1986, with two partners acquired a faltering Gibson Guitar. The Nashville-based company, on the brink of closure when Juszkiewicz stepped in, has averaged 20% annual growth during the last decade.

IW: You've recently hired a chief marketing officer [Craig Braasch] and a chief financial officer [Anthony Crudele] as part of your strategy.

Whom else have you hired and why are you doing this?

Juszkiewicz: I have had several major hires that essentially allowed me to build an outstanding hard-charging executive team. It really started when I was fortunate enough to have Rob Senn join our company [in early 2003] as a chief operating officer. He was essential in giving me the time to pursue recruiting on a more aggressive basis. Additional hires at the executive level are Greg Batusic, chief sales officer/senior vice president of global sales; Joel Cherry, general counsel/senior vice president; Roger Mitchell, chief strategic planning officer/executive vice president; Kris Carter, president of the Gibson Audio Division; and Jim Druckery, COO of the Gibson Audio Division. In addition to exceptional experience in closely related industries, I was looking for a "fire in the belly" -- a sense of aggressive pursuit of excellence combined with a risk-taking entrepreneurial bent.

IW: Why is this the right strategy for Gibson now?

Juszkiewicz: My goal for Gibson has been to achieve No. 1 market share in the area of musical instrument/music audio. We have diversified by buying other brands that have a rich history and had been leaders in their field. We are very much a global company, with about 50% of our sales taking place outside the U.S. We have within the last year invested in a wholly owned manufacturing facility in Tsing Tao, China, and a trading company in Shanghai. And we are restructuring our distribution and marketing operations in the EU to attend to that market in a fashion more appropriate to the changed environment in Europe.
Additionally, the world is going digital, and the way music is bought and produced is changing rapidly. Gibson this year introduced its Magic digital protocol for musical instruments and potentially home audio/video equipment.
Our size and rapid growth demanded a larger and more sophisticated team to lead the business. In fact, we have built a team of creative, aggressive, success-driven tigers.

IW: How did you determine what functional areas required new leadership?

Juszkiewicz: The organization is structured around classic organization departments: sales, operations, marketing, finance, etc. I am a strong believer in basic proven business practices. At the same time, our organization has implemented unique and cutting-edge

idlewild south

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wholly owned manufacturing facility in China?God I hate bean counters.

Rock Johnson

Reaction score
Yup. Kinda makes you wonder about those Gibby "copies" from China, now, doesn't it?

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Henry Jusciewicz
CEO, Gibson Guitar

"It's not technology that drives markets, it is applications. And a lot of what's been talked about here really is the technology, and the fact is the price point and a very profound application really drove the PC business for years."

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Henry & Jay Jay French (Twisted sister) & his new signature Model

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Country music legend Charlie Daniels (top left) and Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz (top center) joined Major General Gus Hargett and members of the Tennessee National Guard in launching Operation Heartstrings. Gibson Guitar generously donated 100 Epiphone guitars and custom designed Operation Heartstrings t-shirts for the troops in Iraq which Daniels insured delivery of recently.

Operation Heartstrings is a campaign to mobilize corporate America in helping the dedicated men and women serving in the Armed Forces combat the loneliness and isolation of service through music by supplying them with instruments, DVDs, CDs and DVD players.

Big Mike

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PRS has a dumble. He's a damn good player too. I've seen his band live 3 times now.Derek St. Holmes is the singer (ted nugent band) good stuff.

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Paul is a tasty player, and is pretty finnicky about tone. He did a demo near me, and the store supplied a Koch amp. Paul proceeded to rip the amp apart and change all the tubes, play some, then did some more tube swapping until he was happy. At a bar jam later that night he got an incredible rich, throaty tone out of a Mesa Rectifier.

FrankiePRS

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Paul Smith can play. And he always has serious tone. And yes, he owns a Dumble.

Latest Threads