OGD: 1958 Gibson Byrdland

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know Ive seen a video somewhere of Eric Clapton playing a strange Byrdland/350t type guitar that had the flower pot logo with the split parallelogram inlays like the 350t. I wonder how much "spec mixing" was done with these?
Yeah. His was a modern creation, if I'm not mistaken. It was wine red, if it's the same guitar I'm thinking about. It was probably custom ordered to his taste.

pete

Reaction score
Yeah. His was a modern creation, if I'm not mistaken. It was wine red, if it's the same guitar I'm thinking about. It was probably custom ordered to his taste.
No, this one was natural finish, he was playing with George Harrison. It was old, 70s probably.

Frutiger

Reaction score
Great score! It's definitely a maple top by the look of things and as others have said it's an ES-350T with a Byrdland fretboard.

It could have been a custom order, it could have been a mistake by whoever was gluing the fretboard to the neck. Either way it's very cool!

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this very cool hybrid. I love old Byrdlands. Are you pleased with the playability and tone?

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this very cool hybrid. I love old Byrdlands. Are you pleased with the playability and tone?
Honestly, it's amazing. I thought I would hate the short scale, but I'm finding it really fun. About ten years ago, I lost the tip of my fretting hand's pinky. Not much, about a quarter of the last section of the finger. However, my reach was that much shorter once I was able to start playing again. This thing makes me feel like I have full range again.

Also, I don't have small hands. I was worried the neck width was going to be an issue. It isn't, though I think that's probably because I'm used to playing small necks, such as on my mandolin or banjo.

Speaking of the mandolin...

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great shot. I downloaded the entire video last night, but it's also potato quality. The damned DVD is $70 and up everywhere I can find it. I'd love to get a higher quality source, something that at least reproduces the best that the film was able to represent back then.

Here's a pic of the bridge PAF. You can see a bit of the laminate, I think. Next time I switch strings, I'll snag a better close-up of the wood layers on the top. That should be definitive, though I am convinced this is an ES-350T now.

Clapton's interesting, since it has the pot and the stinger. Byrdlands are less common with stingers, from what I've seen. We can surmise that there was a bit of overlapping, however.

Last edited:

chasenblues

Reaction score
Was auctioned off.

2009 Gibson Byrdland Custom
Owned and used by Eric Clapton since new—accompanied by signed letter and photograph of Eric holding this instrument. This guitar was built using the neck dimensions from Eric's 1960 Gibson ES-335. Eric used this guitar on tour in 2013 to play “Further on up the Road,” OHC.

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Was auctioned off.

2009 Gibson Byrdland Custom
Owned and used by Eric Clapton since new—accompanied by signed letter and photograph of Eric holding this instrument. This guitar was built using the neck dimensions from Eric's 1960 Gibson ES-335. Eric used this guitar on tour in 2013 to play “Further on up the Road,” OHC.
In my research, I found the guy who bought this specific guitar. Obviously, this is a new model. Still, it's pretty.

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's the tailpiece that came with it from the factory before it was sent back to Gibson to have the Bigsby installed.

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And also this close-up of the headstock, because who gets to see a 1958 Gibson with the points in perfect condition ever!?!

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got a replacement pick guard, since the original was cracking and off-gassing. It's not great, but it will do until I can find a better repro with the right binding.

loneguitar

Reaction score
Reminds me of Hank Garland's first Byrdland that he designed for Gibson along with Billy Byrd excellent

Latest Threads