OG PAF Patent

E.T.

Reaction score
The funny thing is that every post-PAF humbucker (except the reissue types) has the patent number for Les Paul's "combined bridge and tailpiece", which they replaced after a year or less due to its abysmal intonation- they stamped the same number on the mini humbuckers when they came along and are still using it to this day!

KStopper65

Reaction score
The funny thing is that every post-PAF humbucker (except the reissue types) has the patent number for Les Paul's "combined bridge and tailpiece", which they replaced after a year or less due to its abysmal intonation- they stamped the same number on the mini humbuckers when they came along and are still using it to this day!
I noticed this as well. I had to go to Page 2 of Google to find the right patent

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the bridges on LP jrs?

Gawd I hate those bridges. I like the drop-on 3rd-party combos with individual, adjustible saddles, though. I have a PRS SE 245 has one standard. The only concern I have is loooong-term leaning toward the neck as I have seen on some old LPs&SGs with Tune-o-matic bridges. This won't likely happen until after I have snuffed it, though.

KStopper65

Reaction score
So, quick question. If this patent exists, how do other companies make humbuckers?
I mean like can't Gibson send these people a cease and desist?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
How long was its life, like 20 years? If thats the case then why does Dimarzio get to keep the double cream for more?
You're confusing a patent (expires) with a trademark (doesn't expire if conditions met).

ARandall

Reaction score
You mean the bridges on LP jrs?

Gawd I hate those bridges. I like the drop-on 3rd-party combos with individual, adjustible saddles, though. I have a PRS SE 245 has one standard. The only concern I have is loooong-term leaning toward the neck as I have seen on some old LPs&SGs with Tune-o-matic bridges. This won't likely happen until after I have snuffed it, though.
No, he means the trapeze ones from the 52 Les Paul......the wrap tailpieces replaced these as they can intonate just fine with the right adjustment.
The original was supposed to be a 'strings over' scenario, but for some odd reason they set the neck angle for 'strings under'

freefrog

Reaction score

Latest Threads