oddball wiring question using humbuckers and on-on-on mini switches?

C Squared

Reaction score
After a fairly lengthy conversation with a few friends about the joys and fun that a good set of humbuckers can provide, not to mention the unlimited tonal options they can represent, I'm wondering about a wiring set-up. Not sure if possible, never tried it, but would love to for my next project.

2 Humbuckers

2 independent volumes

1 Master tone with push pull pot for phase shift on the neck pickup

would like to then add 2 mini switches (on-on-on )to control the coils of each humbucker. (would this work?)

In the past I have generally wired these up with push pull pot on the bridge volume to provide a coil tap for both pickups. Just thinking how great to would be to not only have more control over each coil, but to not have to worry about a push pull pot with sweaty hands at a gig all night. I (as do many people I've talked to and worked with) have this love/hate relationship with push/pull pots.

Any thoughts on this?

NYC LP player

Reaction score
I think if you got 4 push/pulls you could do everything without adding a weird switch but its your guitar. Switching between the top and bottom coil of say the neck wont make that much of a difference. Look up the Jimmy Page wiring from Jonesy...I think it cover 90% of what you want.

crave1

Reaction score
The mini switches work....

I have a Sambora (cough) Strat that I wired the PAF pro to an on-on-on switch.

The on-on-on switch gave me the option of Parallel / single / Series coils.

Then I got 3 4 conductor mini buckers for my epi firebird and that has the same option x3

It's a cool mod for switching

As usual the schematic is somewhere on the net

NYC LP player

Reaction score
I too have a Strat with a multi cap switch but on LPs its going to look weird...but like I said its his guitar

crave1

Reaction score
The mod on a guitar with a scratchplate is pretty easy.

However I wouldn't personally do it to a Paul or any other non scratchplate guitar. I'd use push push or push pull pots for that.

C Squared

Reaction score
It's my own guitar, not a les paul or anything else, so I have no problem carving, cutting, routing, or drilling if it will make me happy :D

The 3 way you suggested (series, split, parallel) wasn't exactly what I was thinking though does sound quite useful.

The pickups I generally use have different voicings on each coil, so being able to decide which coil I utilize in split mode was what I was seriously considering it for.

Latest Threads