Odd Request

ZOMB13

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I have this weird request (hoping someone can help out)

I have this telecaster copy I got recently to mod/experiment, and it has a regular strat-ish style headstock, my plan is to cut a piece of the headstock off and attach another piece of wood and shape the headstock into a Fender CBS style headstock (big version)

Does anyone have any extra "headstock" style wood laying around that they would sell me?
I would need a 7.5"x3" of maple (preferably as the guitar has a maple neck) regular strat/tele thickness.

Does not have to be pretty or finished or anything, I just need it to glue it on and then cut/shape it out.

Also, just to clarify, no Fender logo is going on this :)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would probably be cheaper and easier to get a big headstock neck off of eBay. Most squires have the large headstock, and you should becablr to get a neck pretty cheap.

bfcg

Reaction score
You want to shape the headstock into a big strat headstock?
If you wanted to go with a tele headstock you might already have enough wood to work with.

ZOMB13

Reaction score
facepalms myself
:)

I would probably be cheaper and easier to get a big headstock neck off of eBay. Most squires have the large headstock, and you should becablr to get a neck pretty cheap.

How would that be cheaper? thing about this project is that I don't want to spend money on it (this guitar cost me $60 at NAMM) plus I have other projects with more expenses (Ibanez Les Paul lawsuit restoration)

You want to shape the headstock into a big strat headstock?
If you wanted to go with a tele headstock you might already have enough wood to work with.

I actually don't like the small tele headstock...

I've seen it done on the telecaster forum, I just need to get a piece of scrap wood that is roughly the same as the headstock.
Headstock Reshaping - Telecaster Guitar Forum

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I have this weird request (hoping someone can help out)

I have this telecaster copy I got recently to mod/experiment, and it has a regular strat-ish style headstock, my plan is to cut a piece of the headstock off and attach another piece of wood and shape the headstock into a Fender CBS style headstock (big version)

Does anyone have any extra "headstock" style wood laying around that they would sell me?
I would need a 7.5"x3" of maple (preferably as the guitar has a maple neck) regular strat/tele thickness.

Does not have to be pretty or finished or anything, I just need it to glue it on and then cut/shape it out.

Also, just to clarify, no Fender logo is going on this :)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Okay, all I read in the way that you wish to do this is that you wish to "attach" or "glue" a new headstock on. Question; are you planning to keep intact (as in, not saw it off the neck) the part with the tuners and somehow cut around that part, then glue a piece of stock to the existing that you can shape to what you want?

I ask this because you may not realize that there's about 120+ lbs. of string pressure on that headstock, and it's likely that cutting off the existing headstock and gluing something bigger on isn't going to work out to well. The added piece will likely need to be splined.

For demonstration; hold your hand out open, palm facing upward, fingers together. Now, quickly snap all four fingers towards your wrist. See that? That's what's going to happen if you try and butt-join by gluing, not splining a larger headstock piece to an existing one that's been cut off short, once you put on some string pressure. It will fold like a napkin.

Oh, and a good-natured facepalm as well.. you crazy kid you.

EDIT: really, just replacing the entire neck is the way to go. You can easily and affordably get what you want.

ZOMB13

Reaction score
Okay, all I read in the way that you wish to do this is that you wish to "attach" or "glue" a new headstock on. Question; are you planning to keep intact (as in, not saw it off the neck) the part with the tuners and somehow cut around that part, then glue a piece of stock to the existing that you can shape to what you want?

I ask this because you may not realize that there's about 120+ lbs. of string pressure on that headstock, and it's likely that cutting off the existing headstock and gluing something bigger on isn't going to work out to well. The added piece will likely need to be splined.

For demonstration; hold your hand out open, palm facing upward, fingers together. Now, quickly snap all four fingers towards your wrist. See that? That's what's going to happen if you try and butt-join by gluing, not splining a larger headstock piece to an existing one that's been cut off short, once you put on some string pressure. It will fold like a napkin.

Oh, and a good-natured facepalm as well.. you crazy kid you.

EDIT: really, just replacing the entire neck is the way to go. You can easily and affordably get what you want.

Hey, you misunderstood.

I only plan to cut off as least of the headstock as possible to make a straight edge, then attach a piece of wood that will be shaped into the round parts of the headstock, it would be undoubtedly dumb to cut off the headstock and attach a new one (unless your Greg and are doing a masterpiece repair :cool:

I'm not new to guitar/wood working (worked at Taylor Guitars for 3+ years...) but I understand where you are coming from, no worries man :laugh2:

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since you live in San D., you might want to check out Ganahl Lumber, maybe a short drive up to Irvine or somewhere in O.C. They will definitely have some maple stock for you to work with.

ZOMB13

Reaction score
Since you live in San D., you might want to check out Ganahl Lumber, maybe a short drive up to Irvine or somewhere in O.C. They will definitely have some maple stock for you to work with.

Thanks for the head ups, but I went to Home Depot and got a niece piece poplar for .51 cents :)
It's not a 100% exact color match to the maple, but it will do.

Expect a new thread @ the telecaster forum showing the progress soon, :)

Latest Threads