Obsolecense

6stringmofo

Reaction score
I have a 1956 Gibson which is functionally identical to my 2012 and still in playable condition with its original frets and electronics. The finish has developed an annoying cracking and crazing pattern when you look closely at it though, so maybe I should just go get a new one.

I'll trade you a brand new shinny one for it :cool::thumb:

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Obsolescence is almost always technology based whether it be efficiency or effectiveness.

Neither of those things apply to the guitar. It simply has not evolved in those areas, on the contrary, such evolution is despised by the over all guitar playing public where hand wired '30s and '40s technology and inconsistency of manual manufacturing are praised and sought after to this day.

As far as simple replacement ideology goes, personally it's a basic cost versus value divided by sentimental attachment equation. :)

TA462

Reaction score
excuse? What makes you guys rush out to buy new guitars?
For me. My guitar was stolen by some low life and looking to replace it. I can only afford 1 good guitar so to say, im not your typical guitar collector. :(

I feel for you. I had 3 Strats and two Teles stolen from me 3 years ago. I was heart broken and it took me a few years to replace them with the ones I have now.

skindley

Reaction score
Which part does a $400 refret fail to make sense on a 5 year old, $1000 guitar?
:)

If one only values a guitar based on it's monetary value I suppose your point would be well taken. I'm betting the majority place more value on their instruments than that.

TA462

Reaction score
Which part does a $400 refret fail to make sense on a 5 year old, $1000 guitar?
:)

I think your looking at it all wrong. All my guitars I bought because they somehow talked to me. They felt good in my hands and sounded great at the store before I bought it. They will never leave me so if I need to spend some money to fix one of them then its money well spent. I don't sell guitars off like some people do. All mine I buy to keep.

Rod Neep

Reaction score
Obsolescence is almost always technology based whether it be efficiency or effectiveness.

Neither of those things apply to the guitar.

Oh yes it does :naughty:

In 2005 Martin introduced a "PDA" model guitar, that would do all sorts of fancy things, and integrated itself into the electronics in the guitar. They were terribly proud of it!

By PDA I mean the latest in technology at the time. A big thick lump of a thing. Remember those?

cfm-pda1.jpg

cfm-pda2.jpg

That's about as obsolete as you can get.
Unless you start making the guitar tune itself automatically too :hmm:

Rod

6stringmofo

Reaction score
I think your looking at it all wrong. All my guitars I bought because they somehow talked to me. They felt good in my hands and sounded great at the store before I bought it. They will never leave me so if I need to spend some money to fix one of them then its money well spent. I don't sell guitars off like some people do. All mine I buy to keep.

Would this make you a "Wood Whisperer"?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Have you guys considered when your guitar becomes obsolete that will enable you to buy a new one?

There is no doubt we live in a world of obsolescence, why would our guitars be immune to the current phenomenon of obsolescence?

Normal guitar wear are frets, fingerboard, machine heads and pickups. All of which are serviceable items and are easily replaced and retrofitted for continued use for many years after that.
But when does one decide the guitar needs to be retired and a new one purchased?

You are guys are a helpful and pretty smart bunch. Discuss.

Zippo?

Avocab?

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
Oh yes it does :naughty:

In 2005 Martin introduced a "PDA" model guitar, that would do all sorts of fancy things, and integrated itself into the electronics in the guitar. They were terribly proud of it!

By PDA I mean the latest in technology at the time. A big thick lump of a thing. Remember those?

cfm-pda1.jpg

cfm-pda2.jpg

That's about as obsolete as you can get.
Unless you start making the guitar tune itself automatically too :hmm:

Rod

What about this lump of quality old growth moulded plastic and 1980s midi tech?

casio_dg20.jpg

At least with the martin you could use it as a regular acoustic and the PDA slot looks about the right size to stash your baccy tin in.

jc2000

Reaction score
I have a Peavey elect guitar I bought about 8 years ago at a garage sale for $60.00, I had a Luthier fix some issues for about $100.00. So I paid more to fix it then I bought it for and it's one of the best playing guitars I have....:thumb:

Drew71

Reaction score
No such thing... If you need an excuse to purchase a new guitar this ain't one of them... :hmm: Mostly because they get better as they age...

The End.

Perfect ending to this thread.

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score

casio_dg20.jpg

At least with the martin you could use it as a regular acoustic and the PDA slot looks about the right size to stash your baccy tin in.
I actually like that one. It's not ashamed of being a gadget, unlike the current Min-ETune / G-Force system that tries to be discreet but looks like a tumor that is growing NES controller buttons.

Another favorite of mine:

roland.jpg

And, I'm pretty sure the pickup doesn't go obsolete, it's the module that tracks the notes that will most likely be improved on.

MooCheng

Reaction score
have never thought of guitars becoming obsolete, they just get old an kinda nice

Ozzy Mandeus

Reaction score
I actually like that one. It's not ashamed of being a gadget, unlike the current Min-ETune / G-Force system that tries to be discreet but looks like a tumor that is growing NES controller buttons.

Another favorite of mine:

roland.jpg

And, I'm pretty sure the pickup doesn't go obsolete, it's the module that tracks the notes that will most likely be improved on.

Ah, but the DG-20 was purely a midi controller - the fingerboard is rubber with microswitches, the strings are floppy untuneable nylon. That's why I used it as an example.

DanL

Reaction score

casio_dg20.jpg

Ah the 80s..... What an interesting decade.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
When the GForce stops working on your 2015 model. Oh wait, that was yesterday.

Fernandomania

Reaction score
Guitars don't become obsolete, they have parts that wear and that will eventually need to be replaced as well as requiring maintenance.

ido1957

Reaction score
My Kramer had two fret dressings then I bought a NOS neck so it was no longer obsolete. My old 79 Strat is still playable so it won't be obsolete for a long long time.

SilverBurps

Banned
Reaction score

casio_dg20.jpg

That's not obsolete...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5AQIlmM0I[/ame]

"I need my 1983 DG-20 Casio electric guitar
Set to mandolin, and some drums, yeah"

Latest Threads