Observation of this forum. Any thoughts? Please no more trolling!

markerdown

Reaction score
A brand snob is a brand snob, no matter what the gear is. As far as guitars go, it it feels good in your hands and you like the way it plays, it's all up to you. Gear don't make the man, man makes the gear! :dude:

RTH

€piphoneWiki Team
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
epiphones aren't necessarily better guitars than gibsons, but your dollar buys a hell of a lot more when you buy an epi over a gibby.

qft

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Epiphones aren't necessarily better guitars than Gibsons, but your dollar buys a hell of a lot more when you buy an Epi over a Gibby.

Is a $2500 Gibson Standard really 625% more awesome than a $400 Epiphone Standard? Probably not. If you've got money to burn though, go with the Gibson and be happy about it. If you don't, or if you like having money to spend on other stuff, get the Epiphone and be happy about that.

Otherwise shut up and stop making obvious troll threads. Seeing these threads all the time seriously makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.

I agree (except the last sentence)

It makes me want to challenge people with my Epiphone.

"Oh your Gibson is superior? Would you care to bet your Gibson against my Epiphone?"

Winner walks away with both. :cool:

I spent the last 3 months looking at Gibson ( I got the bug again ),..spent the last month more and more leaning towards the Epi Tribute Plus.

Gibson Trad - $1,800
Epi Trib+ - $600

I've sat there and A/B'd them for hours and I'll be damned if I can see a huge difference between them, other then the Epi has a better feeling neck. I rip both of them just fine, they both sound and feel good.

....I just wish Epi offered some different finishes. Take the faded Cherryburst and paint the top like the Vintage Sunburst and I'd be in love.

btw whoever posted this ad a month or two ago, it's all your fault,...it's this ad that kinda slapped me like, "Dude! Why are you looking at Gibsons again? You just sold your Gibson last year and have gigged your Epi for the last 3 years? What are you doin'?"

Awesome ad, awesome photo and composition. (I love the old wood bench/floor)

And just looking at the features I start going, "yeah,....why am I looking at Gibson again when I know for a fact I find the Epi neck profile to be superior?"

I like Gibsons I just haven't found one I've ever bonded with.

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
You are an exceptional player though Malikon... some folk need all the assistance they can get!
smile1.gif

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You are an exceptional player though Malikon... some folk need all the assistance they can get!
smile1.gif

I appreciate the kind words but I think a lot of it is psychological. (guitars/sound)

I should've bookmarked the post when I saw it here, but I was reading this week,..maybe in the lessons section,...where a poster was saying he's been playing for years but he recently started taking lessons and really practicing more and he can't believe the difference in the sound of his guitar.

But he said something like, "practice really IS the best mod you can do to your guitars sound!"

..that was a great comment. Very true.

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I'm not yet at the level where my playing would blow anyone away; even if I was playing on a real 59 burst. :laugh2:

The one thing I wish Epiphone would do is release more LPs with a 50s style neck. The only ones I've seen are the 1954 Oxblood, 1957 Goldtop, 1959 Anniversary, 1960 Anniversary V1, and the Joe Bonamassa Goldtop. The last one is easy enough to find, but the others are like unicorns.

Scotty67

Reaction score
Both Gibson and Epiphone are making great products and even though there are differences between the construction between the two, depending on models, they are all fine instruments.

The vibe is almost like most people here are trying to justify owning their Epiphones over Gibson.

Just wondering if anone else is tired of the "damn Gibson, Epiphone is superior" posts that I've been reading lately? :wtf:

I would say Epiphone makes "basic to very fine" instruments, where Gibson makes "good to outstanding" instruments. I have to say that "technically", Gibson is superior to Epiphone in the majority of cases. Now dont get me wrong, I don't own a Gibby, nor do I plan to because the value vs investment does not make sense to *ME*.

I have ZERO brand loyalty. So why am I here? Simple...I love LP's. Epis, Gibbys, Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, the list is long....I dont care WHO makes them, or country of origin. Quality is quality. Tone is king but looks too are also important. Its beauty is BOTH tone and iconic look for me...they are ART

Actually, perhaps it is more this; ART that helps create ART

MikeZito

Banned
Reaction score
Earlier today I played 'Rocky Mountain Way' on my Epi., and it didn't sound as good as when Joe Walsh plays it on his Gibson . . . so, I guess that means that Gibson's are better than Epiphone's, right?

Anybody up for more convoluted logic?

HRC

Reaction score
I have noticed just by reading the threads here and even responses to my own posts, that a lot of members (not all) get incredibly defensive and swords get raised if a compliment is made to Gibson over Epiphone. The vibe is almost like most people here are trying to justify owning their Epiphones over Gibson.:

Welcome to MLP.

It didn't take long for the leader to get his 2 cents in. :laugh2:

shamu1

Reaction score
But he said something like, "practice really IS the best mod you can do to your guitars sound!"

..that was a great comment. Very true.

Amen to that. Seriously, these days the quality of electric guitars in general is a lot better than it was in, say, the 80's, and I find it hard now to find a truly BAD sounding guitar. I find that most of the time, all it really takes a little bit of practice and adjustment of technique to make any guitar sound good, and I'm not even that good of a player.

56GT

Reaction score
Amen to that. Seriously, these days the quality of electric guitars in general is a lot better than it was in, say, the 80's, and I find it hard now to find a truly BAD sounding guitar. I find that most of the time, all it really takes a little bit of practice and adjustment of technique to make any guitar sound good, and I'm not even that good of a player.

My '80s Kramer kicked ass!

SirKeldon

Reaction score
Maybe my opinion is useless as i'm quite new to these new forums, but i'm not new in the "world of guitars". Here are my two cents.

I started with a Korean Samick, imitation to a Stratocaster with shitty pickups in 1997 … then 2 years passed and i considered to get a real "Strato" but the price was really too high, i got professionally advised, as i always like to do. The shopper resulted to be also a Luthier. It was 1999. Conclusion: I bought a Cort Viva Gold II which in that time they were building high-quality Ibanez as well. The craftsmanship of the guitar after 15 years is still remarkable, guitar has felt down dozens of times (yeah, shit happens) and the headstock never got cracked neither damaged … a few years ago, in 2008, i wanted to replace it. I went to another Luthier who was also shopper and I talked to him that i wanted maybe a good Ibanez RG or the JEM 555 from Steve Vai. He asked to me to bring my guitar to give it an eye. He told me to absolutely not replace it, the wood was incredibly in good condition, the Tremolo is working like a charm … and the guitar felt so well playing it. I only changed its pickups and adjusted it. And i've been rocking with it till now that i acquired my first LP (Epi Tribute Plus btw) just 2 weeks ago.

What i mainly want to say .. is we tend, mostly, to appreciate products just because the brand they are, and not by its true quality. I'm guilty of charges, of course, as anyone else. I tested a lot of Fender USA Strato's, high quality PRS's and Gibson Les Paul Custom for 10 minutes and i felt in love immediately because they were really good axes, unfortunately i couldn't afford them and i can't afford them now, at least the ones that I really want. Though that, if Luthiers or experienced/aged players tells you that some guitar is feeling really good and it plays very similar to X, why not to follow it? It's obvious it's not gonna be the same thing but it can be better for your skills/styles in some cases. I experienced it and I can tell that sometimes it rocks to save some money if the product is worth it.

Parasite68

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input! I've been enjoying all the healthy opinions and responses everyone has posted. This thread was not intended to throw mud at one side or the other. Or be a negative place. I myself, have had to explain my stands on certain issues due to me not being so clear in the first place! I love both. For the record, I do believe my Epiphone plays just as well as my Studio Gibson! Just ask my Gibsons hanging on the wall as I walk past them holding my Epi Budokan to go play! Like I said, I'm rather new to this forum and am really enjoying it. I have learned a lot from reading all the posts in this thread and it has all been positive and healthy!

The main points I have taken away from here are as follows:
1. A Les Paul is a Les Paul whether Gibby made it or Epiphone! (I was concerned at first from possibly misinterpreting texts/posts. Some members have stated(in other threads) that Epiphones are copies of LP's, or not true LP's. That's not true! No matter which of the the companies made it, it's a LP!
2. If a guitar feels good to you and you click with it, make your fingers bleed on it while enjoying it! :)
3. Practice and hard work IS the best modification you can do to your guitar. No guitar will make any player sound better than that person's skill set!
4. This entire forum has been a real eye opener and my one stop shop for all things Les Paul related!
5. No matter what you play, if you love it and it loves you back, be proud of it no matter what!
6. All of you members rock! I was so afraid of the responses I was gonna see, but it has been a great experience! :)

Thanks to everybody for putting their 2 cents in! I believe it has been a healthy discussion and it let people clear the air so to speak!

Keep rockin !:dude:

Parasite68

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input! I've been enjoying all the healthy opinions and responses everyone has posted. This thread was not intended to throw mud at one side or the other. Or be a negative place. I myself, have had to explain my stands on certain issues due to me not being so clear in the first place! I love both. For the record, I do believe my Epiphone plays just as well as my Studio Gibson! Just ask my Gibsons hanging on the wall as I walk past them holding my Epi Budokan to go play! Like I said, I'm rather new to this forum and am really enjoying it. I have learned a lot from reading all the posts in this thread and it has all been positive and healthy!

The main points I have taken away from here are as follows:
1. A Les Paul is a Les Paul whether Gibby made it or Epiphone! (I was concerned at first from possibly misinterpreting texts/posts. Some members have stated(in other threads) that Epiphones are copies of LP's, or not true LP's. That's not true! No matter which of the the companies made it, it's a LP!
2. If a guitar feels good to you and you click with it, make your fingers bleed on it while enjoying it! :)
3. Practice and hard work IS the best modification you can do to your guitar. No guitar will make any player sound better than that person's skill set!
4. This entire forum has been a real eye opener and my one stop shop for all things Les Paul related!
5. No matter what you play, if you love it and it loves you back, be proud of it no matter what!
6. All of you members rock! I was so afraid of the responses I was gonna see, but it has been a great experience!*

Thanks to everybody for putting their 2 cents in! I believe it has been a healthy discussion and it let people clear the air so to speak!

Keep rockin !:dude:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mK_9T44Ls]Hypnosis: Are You Hypnotizable? Try this and See - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads