Observation of this forum. Any thoughts? Please no more trolling!

Parasite68

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to these forums. I own a few Gibson Les Paul's as well as a couple of Epiphone Les Paul's. Both Gibson and Epiphone are making great products and even though there are differences between the construction between the two, depending on models, they are all fine instruments. I have noticed just by reading the threads here and even responses to my own posts, that a lot of members (not all) get incredibly defensive and swords get raised if a compliment is made to Gibson over Epiphone. The vibe is almost like most people here are trying to justify owning their Epiphones over Gibson.

I personally love my Gibson LP's as much as I love my Epiphone LP's. My Gibson LP's have great tones, playability and are pieces of art in my eyes. My Epiphones happen to be Budokans that I consider pieces of art as well and their tone and playability are blowing me away. I'm proud to be an owner of both brands.

Just wondering if anone else is tired of the "damn Gibson, Epiphone is superior" posts that I've been reading lately? :wtf:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We get tired of the, "Damn Epiphone, Gibson is superior" guys that come down here and troll.

There's a Gibson section if you don't like seeing people praise their Epiphones.

You're in the Epi section, .. that's just how it goes.

Basically it amounts to:

Epi players will buy a Gibson and love both because we love LP guitars (and we tend to have other brands of LP shaped guitars as well)

Gibson players will only own Gibson because Epi is beneath them and anything shaped like an LP that doesn't say Gibson is, "not a real Les Paul"

...including Epiphone.

Vinkuhippula

Reaction score
Well, people are entitled to opinions. Except in North Korea, maybe. Sometimes opinions are based on facts, sometimes not. It's not really about the opinion, it's how you express it.

There seems to be a constant tug of war over this. It is incredibly silly, and getting caught in it is even sillier. I don't have to make a fuss about it personally, as I don't give a toss. Someone might think this and that, someone else things the opposite. So what? People don't agree with me on most subjects in life. I don't have to get mentally injured because of it.

I guess it all goes to show how personal an object a guitar can be. And what marketing has done to brand reputation and loyalty.

I'll try to kindly express my opinion. Gibsons are vastly expensive for what they are. Not all models, no. the interesting ones. I'd love to have one. I bet one would feel nice and sound nice.

But so have all my Epiphones. Would a Gibby feel nicer? Maybe. Would it play better? No, I am the player. Would it make me play better? Not really, unless there was somethign special about it that would make my brain hum and make me learn to play better.

I get the things I want to play played with an Epi. A gibby would have to be earth-shatteringly better to justify the price at this point in my life. By all means, everyone enjoy what you've got, and don't spew poison on other people.

Parasite68

Reaction score
We get tired of the, "Damn Epiphone, Gibson is superior" guys that come down here and troll.

There's a Gibson section if you don't like seeing people praise their Epiphones.

You're in the Epi section, .. that's just how it goes.

Basically it amounts to:

Epi players will buy a Gibson and love both because we love LP guitars (and we tend to have other brands of LP shaped guitars as well)

Gibson players will only own Gibison because Epi is beneath them and anything shaped like an LP that doesn't say Gibson is, "not a real Les Paul"

...including Epiphone.

You hit the nail on the head all over the place! I personally fall into the category of loving LP's and will play most models with the shape and tone. I just recently traded in a Dean Zalinsky LP type model for a Ibanez Iceman ic500. (I also have a weakness for iceman guitars, and yes, I love KISS)!
It just bums me out seeing people that own Gibsons acting like they are better than Epi owners because epi's are less expensive. That's ridiculous! On the same hand, I've seen Epi owners shunning Gibson owners just for having a Gibson! What gives?!?
Like I said before... I own both and respect both. Even love them both! Just like cars and even concert tickets these day... You can buy a luxury experience or maybe a little less expensive.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Like I said before... I own both and respect both. Even love them both! Just like cars and even concert tickets these day... You can buy a luxury experience or maybe a little less expensive.

I am going to withold major comment here. But, I will flatly state, I am leery of your intentions on this thread. 36 total posts and a subject like this. It smells, initially, very troll-like. Specially with remarks like the bold-faced above, which COULD be misconstrued as a 'back-handed' compliment aka a cut-down of Epiphones. Some other posts of yours (related to this same topic) have a little of the same.

I will give the benefit of the doubt for now though.

56GT

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fisXRmdTR54]NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO - YouTube[/ame]

Teeceman

Reaction score
Just gonna get some popcorn and pull up a chair :D

Muttering Bill

Reaction score
I love guitars of all brands and shapes. I am very happy with my Epi. But honestly, if I had the budget to casually drop a few thousand on Gibsons every so often, I'd probably get snobbish about it too.

Vinkuhippula

Reaction score
Aw, let's not fight! Let's have fun and games instead! See how fun it is!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGEt84GWfq8"]Kummeli Nuts - The World in Flames - World War I - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Nc0wnGWYY"]Kummeli Nuts - The World in Flames - World War II - YouTube[/ame]

:love: Sverige

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
K, again, under the unbrella of extending the benefit of the doubt.

I have noticed just by reading the threads here and even responses to my own posts, that a lot of members (not all) get incredibly defensive and swords get raised if a compliment is made to Gibson over Epiphone. The vibe is almost like most people here are trying to justify owning their Epiphones over Gibson.

In reality, MUCH more often someone compliments Gibson at the EXPENSE OF Epiphones, or addtionally making a denigrating remark about Epiphones (i.e. I wanted something good, so I ignored the Epiphones and looked at the Gibson..........)

If anything there is much more justification by Gibson owners for having a Gibson instead of an Epiphone.

Just wondering if anone else is tired of the "damn Gibson, Epiphone is superior" posts that I've been reading lately? :wtf:
I never see ANY (or very, very rarely) posts that say "damn Gibson, Epis are better". Other way around, all the time. Do get a lot of posts defending Epiphones as quality instruments.

The Wedge

Banned
Reaction score
Gibson is superior to Epiphone, it's a fact. Who is denying that?

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate them both! Why can't they be more like BC Rich or Jackson or something...

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
players are superior, guitars are guitars.

Latest Threads