Oak grigsby tele 3-way switch

Elrathia

Reaction score
Is this switch just different from a ”normal” switch? I know I am a few electrons short of a molecule but crikey! This has me stumped. I have spent hours trying to get all three positions at once. I have just run out of ideas. Help?

ARandall

Reaction score
What does 'all three positions at once' refer to??
Tele 3-way switches typically are for 2 pickups

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Common Oak and CRL switches use the same wiring / same order of contacts.

Elrathia

Reaction score
All three positions of the switch. Bridge only. neck only and both. Not all t once of course (missing electron moment). It’s just one time I had the neck, once the bridge, once the bridges and neck but not both. I’ve tried three or four different schematic.

is the Oak different? this is my fifth tele, but first time with an Oak, thought it might be different. Anyway electrics make my head hurt. I m sure it’s just my sorry soldering skills but about ready to throw in the towel.

Elrathia

Reaction score
Well I have no excuse then cooljuke. I’ll start over tomorrow!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not but, just in case...

Here's a diagram showing a basic setup and how the two are the same contact arrangement....

ARandall

Reaction score
The switch has 3 individual lugs and a common lug (connected all the time) on each side. With the Tele you attach the pickups to the common.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo.
It's not a 3-way as in a Les Paul toggle.
It's not a "shorting" switch the way a Strat 5-way is.
It is two separate 3-way switches on a single wafer.
Since the middle position does not short or "span" two contacts, it has to be wired as shown.

The Strat used the same switch, but since the original 3-way did not allow for 2 pickups to be used at the same time, only one side of the switch was used.
Players found that they could carefully "balance" the switch in the in-between positions and it would short contacts 2/3 or 3/4. Fender finally made it official in the mid-70s and went to the 5-way switch.
Same switch, but 5 detents.

So that put the 3 pickups on one side of the wafer, and the other side was used to switch the tone controls. Theoretically, the tone pots could have just been connected to the pickup side of the switch, but the 5-way allows the #2 tone to be connected to the bridge, middle, or both, without shorting the bridge and middle pickups.

ARandall

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see what diagrams you were using. I've never seen any typical Tele 3 way switches on diagrams wired anything other than the way James' showed.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see what diagrams you were using. I've never seen any typical Tele 3 way switches on diagrams wired anything other than the way James' showed.
OP or me?
2 pickups on the 3-way needs to be wired exactly as those diagrams show.
But it is a bit foreign to someone who only has experience with Strats and Gibson style wiring.

The first time I saw a Tele cavity I was thinking that it looked way too complex for 2 pickups and 2 knobs, until I looked more closely at the switch and saw what they did.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ OP.
He mentioned he'd tried a few diagrams and none of them worked......a little unusual IME

Elrathia

Reaction score
Hi folks. I will now cop to the admission that the first one i used was the old treble bleed circuit. It finally dawned o me what it was. I the used the configura shown to no success. I explored the vast knowledge base that is the internet and came up with others. I was a bit overwhelmed by Seymour’s site with all the variations. There was one that had jumpers from side to side in a couple of places.

I got a new switch and played with my digital volt meter and it starts to make more sense. I
will give it another go next week. Then on to that headstock thing. Appreciate all the imparted knowledge.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
My Tele has the Baja wiring.
4-position switch... bridge, bridge/neck, neck, and bridge-neck in series.
Then the S1 switch adds a phase reversal for the neck.
In series, it gives a nice fat sound... actually not far from AC/DC.

The catch is that the shield on the neck has to be isolated from the coil "ground" and separately connected to the chassis/shield
Some pickups are 3-wire so it's easy. My pickups are Vintage Noiseless and the neck only had a 2-conductor, so I had to sever the connection and run a 3rd wire (green)

baja-deluxe-s1.jpg

Latest Threads