(O)NGD. Recent '92 LP Special purchase

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted on the most important sub-forum, but just have to share one of my recent favourites.

I had one new in 1995, sold in '96 or '97, and then had various abortive attempts at finding my way back (later model was not for me). A reissue of a guitar that was never made, with a neck profile that's totally out of era, but unbelievably this is everything I remembered and more. The build quality puts some CS output to shame, and once the frets were levelled plays very nicely with the action below 1mm. And to me, they look just great, like a guitar that should have been made in the 50s but never was. I always loved the mini Grovers, and the P100s were great for gigging in the first one I had, but I compared with some of my 50's guitars and they are a little lacklustre. I fitted a set of SD Antiquities (lightly modified, just swapped the magnets in the bridge pickup.) Covers took a bit of modifying. They definitely don't fit 50's pattern P90s!

Only thing left to do is get rid of the revolting gold strap buttons. These are remarkably nice guitars, I love that the hardware is nickel, and has aged beautifully, and general finish and attention to detail just stunning. Bridge volume control is a NOS one that I had left over from back in the day - sits a bit high for some reason.

IMG_20200625_212826.jpg

IMG_20200625_212833.jpg

Liam

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
That looks great. Love the neck binding on those models. Is that pickguard stock?

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, pickguard is absolutely as they came back in the day. I am fortunate enough to have a few slab body Les Pauls, including a '57 Special. I'll make a list of specification differences at some point. It surprising just how many things on the 90's ones are an improvement over the 50's ones.

Liam

moreles

Reaction score
Really nice. Adjusting the height on the one pot is simple with a washer or two. No need to disparage CS guitars; I certainly wouldn't agree with you, since it's obvious that the finish on the special is thicker, among other things. IMO, Gibson offers its best value for money on Specials and Juniors -- they are indeedremarkably well made, regardless of price.

Liquid State

Reaction score
that looks great. I have a 2012 that is a mirror of that, binding and all (different tuners). Plays as well as my other LPs that were 3 times the price. Every time I pick it up it's like "oh yeah, thats the stuff"

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
That guitar kicks ass..
the pickguard is ludicrously cool...

happy to see these kind of posts

-chris

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Really nice. Adjusting the height on the one pot is simple with a washer or two. No need to disparage CS guitars; I certainly wouldn't agree with you, since it's obvious that the finish on the special is thicker
Sorry if you felt I was disparaging about CS guitars. It wasn't the intent, I still own one or 2. The comment was about build quality rather than finish, and I'll stand by '90 -’94 Gibson standard output as being exceptional by any measure. CS is generally good, but when it isn't, it can be tricky to put right, or to know the right thing to do. I sometimes have similar issues with Gibson's 50's guitars as they reach current maturity, but was amazed how well this '92 one has faired.

I have a CS ES-335 that I am not entirely sure what to do with, and the red Special had been easy in comparison.

Liam

Latest Threads