Nylon saddles- who's idea was this anyway ??

electricfactory

Reaction score
So- I got this peachy little '63 RI 335, great neck, light in weight and the pu's are so far exceeding my expectations since I'd planned on replacing them[ Gibson experts, what pu's came standard on 2012-2013 ES-335's ? ].

One thing however- the bridge has nylon saddles and at least two of them seem to be muting the string ever so slightly, the 'B' and 'G' string nylon saddles.

In any case I hear it and hate it, wondering whether I should have a luthier slightly recut the string channel or simply buy three new [brass] saddles. Or a new bridge altogether ??

What about you- do you hate nylon saddles ? I know they're period correct for 1963 but who's bright idea was this anyway ?

Help a brother out here will ya..

chipper

Reaction score
There seems to have been a bit of interest in nylon saddles recently. I guess it started because Joe Bonamassa uses them.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for stuff like this especially when it's easy to try without major surgery, so I ordered a set for my LP. They lasted about 10 minutes before I pulled them out and went back to brass.

I've no idea how they sound in a 335, but you should be able to get a set of replacement saddles for your existing bridge if they're not giving the sound your after. Beautiful looking guitar by the way.

Barnaby

Reaction score
Lovely guitar!

Period correctness be damned. I'd simply replace the saddles with something else...anything, really. There are loads of aftermarket ones at all sorts of price points, from brass to titanium. You could even buy a new bridge and just pop it on.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I like them but the relative softness can pinch the string and choke it out a little til they're worn in. If you take a light file or fine sandpaper and ease the string slots towards the outside of the string diameter that will help a little. Just enough to stop the side to side pinching. Definitely a different sound, too.

I hadn't heard Joe Bonamassa uses nylon saddles til now - interesting and surprising.

jonas335

Reaction score
In about 1968, I bought a used block inlay 335 for $100. I don't know what year it was, nobody really paid much attention to years back then. Like all Gibsons then, it had nylon saddles. I always liked the sound of them but I was playing a lot of jazz at the time and wanted a big mellow, kind of woody sound...

fortwinnie

Reaction score
Not merely kitschy anti-logic by any means. Using what are basically
mushy saddles can work wonders in taming a shrill sounding guitar.
Imagine palm muting the lightest you possibly can, all the time.

Latest Threads