NVGD

Jim Klein

Reaction score
just got a 1960 lp jr.. pics to come guys / have to get my son to help with posting pics.. super light weight , very clean ,no breaks issues mods or stories, cardboard case , perfect neck and the frets are like new.. sounds like a good jr should ..very happy old man here. sounds so good thru my victory amp head..have to pick up a decent case for it so it can go to gigs..have to get it set up with my strings etc. today ..fun stuff! !back to playing the old guitars..trying to build up the collection..52 gt, 69 sg spl, 60 lp jr. jk

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
That's a great-looking trio. I have a '60 Junior as well. Congrats!

yamariv

Reaction score
Oh.... Guys with the 60's Juniors, what style of neck do yours have? I was surprised to find that mine has a very chunky 59 neck with an ever soo slight V in it contrary to what most people say about 60's having a thin neck. Either way, I love the neck, I'm just curious if other 60's are like mine..Mines a 37XX serial # so it's sort of still early in the production year..

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Oh.... Guys with the 60's Juniors, what style of neck do yours have? I was surprised to find that mine has a very chunky 59 neck with an ever soo slight V in it contrary to what most people say about 60's having a thin neck. Either way, I love the neck, I'm just curious if other 60's are like mine..Mines a 37XX serial # so it's sort of still early in the production year..
Mine is on the flatter/thinner side (I can edit this to add measurements), but not as thin as my very early '61 Standard. My serial is 70XX, so later than yours.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I'll try to get more pics done ..this one has a ''medium'' neck not big not thin just right.. close to the old 52 gt without the slight v ,more rounded with no shoulders .

Jim Klein

Reaction score
this one is 0 48xx so a bit earlier production?not sure about that stuff..rings and sings like a jr should.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
recommend me a good hard case for this jr..gibson? tkl? gator? what do you guys think?

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
recommend me a good hard case for this jr..gibson? tkl? gator? what do you guys think?
I'm also curious to see if anyone knows of an aftermarket case that's a good fit for a Junior/Special. Typically, they need a T-shirt or something similar under the body to make them sit right in a standard LP case.

yamariv

Reaction score
I'll try to get more pics done ..this one has a ''medium'' neck not big not thin just right.. close to the old 52 gt without the slight v ,more rounded with no shoulders .
Interesting about the neck differences in just one year(1960), I've always been curious about that..when and why did they change it so much..Wonder if it was just the person shaping the neck and how they felt like doing it that day..Lol

As for the case, up in Canada we have the no name version of the Gibson Cases, just a plain black covered case with a gray interior sold by Long and McQuade. It fits my Junior perfectly, it's a slight bit different than my LP Standard's Gibson case though as my Junior doesn't fit the Standards case quite right. I'm not sure if Long and McQuade ships to the US or not but if you can get one, it will fit nice and be very discrete as it all black with no markings. Here's the link..

Jim Klein

Reaction score
I have one of the new 2019 single cut jrs.bought it from jeff here on the forum..the case it came with is a perfect fit, can't find one for sale but i did see one that was a TKL that looks like the same case.I like the yorkville too. funny how similar the necks are between the new USA model and this old '60..new one has a little more shoulder but the thickness is about the same [without measuring] old guitar has a more mellow voice new one is a little brighter...fun stuff jk

yamariv

Reaction score
I have one of the new 2019 single cut jrs.bought it from jeff here on the forum..the case it came with is a perfect fit, can't find one for sale but i did see one that was a TKL that looks like the same case.I like the yorkville too. funny how similar the necks are between the new USA model and this old '60..new one has a little more shoulder but the thickness is about the same [without measuring] old guitar has a more mellow voice new one is a little brighter...fun stuff jk
Interesting about the voice, when you say mellow do you mean old wood sound or mello output P90? One thing that hits me in the face each time I plug in my Junior is how hot the pickup is, it pushes my amp the most of all my guitars by a long shot..I think it measured around 8.75kohm but it soo loud it sounds hotter than that though. In Junior style, I can easily tame it to sweet singing tones with the Volume and Tone controls :dude:

LocoTex

Reaction score
Beautiful Junior! I have a real fondness for double cut Juniors.

Enjoy that bad boy!

BSeneca

Reaction score
We have very similar collections. I have a 52 and 58 junior. Congratulations. Has the neck on your 52 been reset? Just curious with the Bigsby and the shallow angle

Jim Klein

Reaction score
no neck reset ,it got refreted with some jumbo frets before I got it and the dogbone bridge saddle is shaved down a bit. works great bigsby stays in tune pretty well ,best sounding LP I have owned ..love p90s!! I'll try to get some more pics of the jr up this weekend .

none2low

Reaction score
I'm also curious to see if anyone knows of an aftermarket case that's a good fit for a Junior/Special. Typically, they need a T-shirt or something similar under the body to make them sit right in a standard LP case.
For new cases, both the TKL 7824 and TKL 8824 are a great fit. (Disclaimer in case something has changed at TKL) The 7824 has a single neck support, and the 8824 is the deluxe version with front and back neck supports.

Also, if you can find one of the older Gibson CS art and historic cases these will typically work as well.