NVGD! a 1962 LP/SG

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Well, here it is. A 1962 vintage Les Paul! Ok so we all know its an SG but those early ones were still called Les Pauls! Pot dates check out to 2nd week of 1962 so it’s an early one. Still has PAF’s in it, although the covers were removed at one time, but are back on. Also had one of the volume pots replaced but it was done professionally and the original was included in with the guitar. All the other pots are stock. Some solder retouching as well.

Some light checking on the front and back-

S1rrizZ.jpg

3GVowvG.jpg

J38nWxN.jpg

Peek under the pickguard and see some original cherry color is still there-

u370sVN.jpg

l3iRC1x.jpg

Here’s the dead volume pot-

Tsv1SPT.jpg

Control Cavity-

aNhZuNl.jpg

PAF’s. Incredibly responsive to picking attack. Still clear as a bell when driven. Wow.

Ptu2aoS.jpg

RSBOdQ3.jpg

The nylon bridge saddles I’m told ARE original to the guitar. It was hit or miss back then as some had nylon, some didn’t.

q0A6KDW.jpg

Neck PAF

N1uC9JG.jpg

pnvoyHr.jpg

Vwt2318.jpg

strat1701

Reaction score
And look at this cool bonus! Original paperwork and tags!!

LAyIhb2.jpg

paiYils.jpg

Vibrola. Well, what can you do! Coming from LP’s I do prefer the stop bar tail. This vibrola feels like a standard LP that has a top wrap. I’ve always said that to me, a LP that is top wrapped feels like a strat scale length, and a bit stiffer. Yes I know this goes against conventional wisdom on it, and to me, I think it makes string bending HARDER. But that is just my perception. It’s not bad, just feels like my strat action and resistance wise. It’s in real good working order.

Scgioao.jpg

skIAHeg.jpg

CK3kt9M.jpg

fqGbFu0.jpg

Slight crack in the crown inlay on the headstock, otherwise zero issues. All original tuners as well.

IszPQNF.jpg

zG6nZip.jpg

Very slim neck, but not as slim as I’m told these normally run. This has a bit more depth than normal. On others that I was considering I could visibly see the depth was shallower than this one. Neck is braz rosewood, no issues, bends, cracks or repairs.

LWgiWnb.jpg

FVF8w2x.jpg

FauuD79.jpg

L7V1AB1.jpg

3odOFhw.jpg

gLxO1Vt.jpg

98WVn7X.jpg

8NTB37v.jpg

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice score! Great condition and no repairs at the heel. Looks like a great find!

strat1701

Reaction score
Nice score! Great condition and no repairs at the heel. Looks like a great find!

Yup Blacklights ok as well

RYmJ6uT.jpg

kR8QMvm.jpg

j5PTDQw.jpg

hard to see and hold/take photos at the same time, but zero evidence of the heel ever being off or repaired. That crack near the strap button is the nitro crack, not a wood crack. Nothing on the headstock as well. All neon green! :D

Pepe

Reaction score
Wow, what a great guitar, gratulations man!

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like a beauty! Just taking a wild stab in the dark but di that come from Gruhn's by any chance?

strat1701

Reaction score
Congrats! Looks like a beauty! Just taking a wild stab in the dark but di that come from Gruhn's by any chance?

Yes as a matter of fact it did. I was looking at 3 they had, then narrowed it down to 2. This one and another 1962, The guy I was dealing with told me this one sounded better and also had a slightly beefier neck than normal. He also told me, the Rev. Billy G almost bought this one the last time he was passing thru the store and had given it a good run down but ultimately passed for whatever reason. Maybe to leave it to a fellow TX brother....:cool:

I just played it tonite thru my rig but this time with a bit more power to the tubes (both my amps have adjustable EPA) and OMFG. Last nite was wow, this is good, but today with more power, was eye opening. This guitar is a beast. The PAF's in it are ultra responsive and bite when you pick hard, and back off and purr when not. I'm so used to having my toggle 'up' on a les paul the quick 'clean neck /low volume' tone I set my LP's to is gonna take a bit to get used to, as now I have to reach down. YES the vibramate arm gets in the way. I need to get a 90 degree cord as my ancient but still going strong and works excalliber cable is a straight one and I can't have the arm fully down, so I have to have it up a bit.

Bottom line is, this guitar has got some real tone. Even acoustically it's strong and resonant. I think that would be something that Rev. Billy G would even notice, its really loud and articulate even unplugged. Not bad for a 52yr old instrument. Teeny bit of intonation issues with the vibramate but those may be newer strings I dunno how old they are as they seem new and I've yet to change them. They're 10's which is what I play so they're good.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes as a matter of fact it did. I was looking at 3 they had, then narrowed it down to 2. This one and another 1962, The guy I was dealing with told me this one sounded better and also had a slightly beefier neck than normal. He also told me, the Rev. Billy G almost bought this one the last time he was passing thru the store and had given it a good run down but ultimately passed for whatever reason. Maybe to leave it to a fellow TX brother....:cool:

I just played it tonite thru my rig but this time with a bit more power to the tubes (both my amps have adjustable EPA) and OMFG. Last nite was wow, this is good, but today with more power, was eye opening. This guitar is a beast. The PAF's in it are ultra responsive and bite when you pick hard, and back off and purr when not. I'm so used to having my toggle 'up' on a les paul the quick 'clean neck /low volume' tone I set my LP's to is gonna take a bit to get used to, as now I have to reach down. YES the vibramate arm gets in the way. I need to get a 90 degree cord as my ancient but still going strong and works excalliber cable is a straight one and I can't have the arm fully down, so I have to have it up a bit.

Bottom line is, this guitar has got some real tone. Even acoustically it's strong and resonant. I think that would be something that Rev. Billy G would even notice, its really loud and articulate even unplugged. Not bad for a 52yr old instrument. Teeny bit of intonation issues with the vibramate but those may be newer strings I dunno how old they are as they seem new and I've yet to change them. They're 10's which is what I play so they're good.

Nice. My 62 also came from Gruhn's allthough mine has the Ebony Block instead of the sidepull. I had a hunch that it came from Gruhns, I guess it was a good guess :laugh2:

Yes, these guitars can be absolute beasts for sure. Congrats again :thumb:

strat1701

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. This one is a real joy to play. It's hard to put down :D

depuis1899

Reaction score
WOW, simpy WOW
Great find there ! She's a total beauty, I gotta find one like that someday. Gorgeous, congrats mate :)

strat1701

Reaction score
I finally was able to measure these PAF's, if anyone was wondering...

Bridge is 7.64
Neck is 7.59

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks beautiful!

how's the vibrato system working out?

strat1701

Reaction score
looks beautiful!

how's the vibrato system working out?

I'm not a trem player, I don't use it. With my old cable I use, which comes straight out, the arm hits it, so I have to turn it up a bit towards 'deployment' so I can get my cable in, then I push it back down but it's always in a 40 degree angle up until I can source a better 90 degree cable end that's got a smaller connector end.

Latest Threads