NVGD 81 Custom

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Well well well....
It was about time this thing arrived. After being held in customs for so long and delayed tracking it was a huge waiting game.
I have my first old Gibson. Still haven’t opened the box yet, but hopefully tonight I’ll get some photos of it.
No it’s not a silverburst, but I thought something different from my usual black guitars would be cool step towards trying something new.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
How bought photos of the box. But seriously, sounds killer.
I have to go to work, but I just had a look over it, tuned it and took the pick guard off.
These thinner necks feel so much better than your run of the mill customs.The maple is always a plus for me as I have heavy hands and playing my SG is a huge learning curve after not playing it for a while hahaha

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Alrighty, so I can't upload to photobucket anymore so I'm giving Imgur a shot.
So it has one original strap button and one of those Schaller ones... need to find another one to match the original.
It's got a Bill Lawrence pickup that I'll use until my JB arrives. I ordered one, but it got lost in the mail so got refunded and now I have to wait again.

I tell you what though. There definitely is something about these Norlin Custom's though. There is no grounding noise when I take my hands off the strings or any metal part of the guitar, there's less of a headstock angle which I prefer and a volute. The thinner neck is a huge plus as I always felt my 2010 Custom has too much of a shoulder and gets in the way.
I feel at home as I've played my IC400 Iceman for so long. (Thin neck, volute and shallow headstock angle.

Enjoy guys!
Oh yeah the chainsaw case... completely overkill hahaha I love it!

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice and quite Ronsonesque! Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
She lovely congrats..
Alrighty, so I can't upload to photobucket anymore so I'm giving Imgur a shot.
So it has one original strap button and one of those Schaller ones... need to find another one to match the original.
It's got a Bill Lawrence pickup that I'll use until my JB arrives. I ordered one, but it got lost in the mail so got refunded and now I have to wait again.

I tell you what though. There definitely is something about these Norlin Custom's though. There is no grounding noise when I take my hands off the strings or any metal part of the guitar, there's less of a headstock angle which I prefer and a volute. The thinner neck is a huge plus as I always felt my 2010 Custom has too much of a shoulder and gets in the way.
I feel at home as I've played my IC400 Iceman for so long. (Thin neck, volute and shallow headstock angle.

Enjoy guys!
Oh yeah the chainsaw case... completely overkill hahaha I love it!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
There is no grounding noise when I take my hands off the strings or any metal part of the guitar
Could be because Norlins in that era didn't need or use a ground wire!

Those shoddy, cut corner pieces of crap were so well shielded with extra metal, braided metal shield wiring and jack can, that they didn't need a ground wire.... Go figure!

82 POS Norlin with no ground wire... Dead quiet!

2018 Studio has one... and its buzzy! Had to foil shield it...

2018 Classic has one, also buzzy and had to shield it...

So enjoy that Norlin quality that very few know about (except in here).

Keep it to yourself (and us), or soon everyone will want one and prices will go through the roof!

Last edited:

Daniel.S

Reaction score

Those shoddy, cut corner pieces of crap were so well shielded with extra metal, braided metal shield wiring and jack can, that they didn't need a ground wire.... Go figure!

Keep it to yourself (and us), or soon everyone will want one and prices will go through the roof!
Absolutely man! The build quality on these are horrible and no one should buy these.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
+1:thumb:

That's our story and we're stickin' to it!

@HardCore Troubadour would be proud to know ya! :dude:
If Mr. Hardcore could find me one or even a pair of the Posi strap buttons, that would be awesome! My strap stays on, but I'm always watching it.

Most excellent unit.:applause: Love the natural finish. Had a chance to get a old natural Standard. Still kicking myself..:(
It's actually quite nice. It's weird not playing a black guitar :D
Look out for the Custom's as they seem to go a bit cheaper than the other finishes. It's probably because you can see the three piece top. Doesn't bother me when I'm playing it.

Thanks though!

I feel like the Norlin community is like a little family, there doesn't seem to be many people who like the Norlin's, but I think they're missing out!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
If Mr. Hardcore could find me one or even a pair of the Posi strap buttons, that would be awesome! My strap stays on, but I'm always watching it.

It's actually quite nice. It's weird not playing a black guitar :D
Look out for the Custom's as they seem to go a bit cheaper than the other finishes. It's probably because you can see the three piece top. Doesn't bother me when I'm playing it.

Thanks though!

I feel like the Norlin community is like a little family, there doesn't seem to be many people who like the Norlin's, but I think they're missing out!
That's the plan. ..

There loss is our gain.

IIRC hct did have some posilocks a while back. They may be silver though.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Gibson and the Norlin folk believed the Russians were spying on them so they shielded these Les Pauls like tanks.... don’t need no stinking ground wire.... that’s how they get you.

:rofl:

My three piece top 1978 Custom all dressed up to go to the circus. I have owned this one since 1980.... being a worthless Norlin I had to live with this insult all this time.... still loving it.

;)

705E41CF-61FA-414F-AF4C-47086834FFED.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel.S

Reaction score
That's the plan. ..

There loss is our gain.

IIRC hct did have some posilocks a while back. They may be silver though.
Actually I stumbled upon his thread about selling two sets, but that was from last year.
mill keep my eyes peeled!

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Actually I stumbled upon his thread about selling two sets, but that was from last year.
mill keep my eyes peeled!
I do know of a seller who has NOS gold ones from Kalamazoo.

If you need.

scozz

Reaction score
Congrats @Daniel.S,....beautiful Custom, and welcome to the Norlin family! :thumb:

How are you liking those Schaller String Winder Tuning Machines?

How about some more pics?

Latest Threads