NVGD - '58 Les Paul Jr.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hiya guys!

Just had to share this one with ya.

Just bought an absolute gem of a Jr. from a fellow MLP member here, @buckwild , and this is quickly becoming my #1. !

7 Lb, 3 Oz, all original, but currently sports a Mojoaxe tailpiece, and pick guard.

Have originals in the case.

To my surprise, this guitar is so so versatile! Blues, jazz, rock, it's just so expressive!

But at it's core, it's a rock and roll machine extraordinaire!

And I must say that dealing with Buckwild was a real pleasure, and he's just a really cool dude!

Thanks again Buckwild!

On with the pics!

image0(3).jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
i-PswDqGf-X2.jpg

dmac in SC

Reaction score
For the life of me, I have never understood the attraction people have for the LP juniors..but since I have very recently admitted to be a stubborn asshole on another front, I may wade into this pool very soon:confused:

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
To those on the fence, I say play a 50's single cut Jr. through a tube amp, and hang on!

What's surprising is how my LP Special on the bridge pup, sounds nothing like the Jr.

The Jr. has a voice and character all it's own.

And it's good! :cool:

none2low

Reaction score
The day this arrived, I also received a '54 Gibson ES-125 from a friend in Nashville!

I'll post a NGD post in Other Gibson's for that one.
Looking forward to seeing that one too. You always come across some of the nicest examples.

Jr's are very zen approach to playing. So much versatility in a single pickup, volume and tone.

buckwild

Reaction score
So glad that Don Ray is in good hands. Enjoy it and continue to play it in good health!

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
So glad that Don Ray is in good hands. Enjoy it and continue to play it in good health!
Thanks Buck!

Yea, I'll have to show the Sig to the gang as well here.

There was one possible rockabilly fellow named Don Ray from Nashville, that could be our guy, but who really knows...

Except the real Don Ray!

themollusk79

Reaction score
For the life of me, I have never understood the attraction people have for the LP juniors..but since I have very recently admitted to be a stubborn asshole on another front, I may wade into this pool very soon:confused:
I think the answer is twofold: 1) it is still a relatively affordable way to get a golden era Gibson, and 2) you realize right away what a quality, versatile, and well playing instrument it is for something 60+yrs old that was geared towards beginners. My '59 sounds and plays just as good (if not better) than most vintage or modern guitars that I have experienced. It's just superb and a whole lot of fun.

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but it was my understanding that Gibson wanted to make these more affordable, but with minimal sacrifice to quality and playability. Their reasoning (which most manufacturers seem to have forgotten) was that if a beginner bought a LP Jr. and enjoyed it, when they progressed enough to buy a more 'professional' instrument they would be more likely to purchase another Gibson due to the quality of the Junior.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well that kind of worked out for the Gibson of the 1950s. I started with a yearning for a '58 or '59 LP Standard in Sunburst. So far I got LP Juniors from '55, '57 and '59, and a '57 LP Special. Awesome guitars that they are, I still want to progress to a professional model or 2 of that era. I don't think Gibson of old counted on the used guitar price gap diverging quite as much as it has, but hard to hold them accountable for that. ;)

OP - great guitar, and criminally underrated by most. Gibson at their best.

Liam

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What's surprising is how my LP Special on the bridge pup, sounds nothing like the Jr.

And it's good! :cool:
Have you tried shimming the bridge pickup on the Special? They tend to be lower than the Juniors, and sound better closer to the strings. Also tend to be different magnet type from what I have heard, and also observed in my own guitars.

There is no substitute for a Junior of course, but Specials have one more pickup, which can also be cool. :D

Liam

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried shimming the bridge pickup on the Special? They tend to be lower than the Juniors, and sound better closer to the strings. Also tend to be different magnet type from what I have heard, and also observed in my own guitars.

There is no substitute for a Junior of course, but Specials have one more pickup, which can also be cool. :D

Liam
Hiya Liam,

Yes the pups have been shimmed on the 56 Special. It sounds awesome, no complaints.

Even unplugged, the Jr. just has a certain ring to it...

On both guitars, the clarity of the individual strings during chords is what I really like with these.

Latest Threads