NVGD: 1962 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard Ebony Block

Alvinfan

Reaction score
My dad had an original and sold it 1965, still talks about it, my dream is to find one for a decent price and buy it for him. I was wondering if you could recomend some sites I could shop on?

Hi and welcome to the forum !! :thumb: A good place to see a lot of guitars for sale is Gbase. Ebay will also have one up once in a while. You can specify model and year. Good luck with the hunt, I am sure it will be something your dad will never forget if you manage to get him one.
Kevin and some of the other SG experts should also be able to give you some tips.

1962 'gibson sg'Gear Page 1 | Gbase.com > Guitars Amps & More

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad had an original and sold it 1965, still talks about it, my dream is to find one for a decent price and buy it for him. I was wondering if you could recomend some sites I could shop on?

Depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for an Ebony Block model like this one they are not as common and asking prices are usually higher for a clean one.

Unless you have the experience to really know these guitars inside and out I would stick to the larger more reputable vintage dealers. Less chance of getting burned.

What neck shape are you looking for, thin or thick and rounded, and what style trem, sidepull or long Maestro?

And what is your budget?

wheelman

Reaction score
One of my wish list guitars. Congratulations on acquiring such a fine instrument.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of my wish list guitars. Congratulations on acquiring such a fine instrument.

Thank you. Old thread though...someone necroposted it to ask a question instead of just starting a new thread :laugh2:

wheelman

Reaction score
Thank you. Old thread though...someone necroposted it to ask a question instead of just starting a new thread :laugh2:

I better start paying more attention to the starting date of threads. Looks like you still own it by your avatar. :)

OBX351

Reaction score
Granted, I am coming late to the game but what a beautiful guitar you have KJ! I was in heaven when I bought my '64, but I've wanted one like yours.

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
Jesus. It looks brand new.

I can't imagine anyone who'd appreciate it more. Congrats. Good things come to those who wait. Enjoy it.

Edit: ah. Responding to a necropost. Still. What I said stands.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
A crowning jewel for sure.......One of the nicest I have seen......

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1962EbonyBlockSG1.jpg

I just realised this beauty is officially 50 years old today. She left the factory 50 years ago today, 9/12/62 :)

61LPSG

Reaction score
Happy Birthday to her, she's gorgeuos for an old girl.

Steelp

Reaction score
Hey Kevin,
Long time no speak. I misplaced your address. I still owe you a tshirt and a copy of our new record. I thought I'd post a pic of my family. Hope all is well. Picture includes 2 les Paul ebony blocks, my number 1 1970 sg standard, 1963 sg special, and a 2007 sg standard robot. Pm me ur address again if u get a sec!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 55

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just learned something extremely cool about my 62. It less than 10 serial numbers away from Frank Marino's 62 Ebony Block that he used all through the early days. It is listed on the same shipping ledger page too. Just a cool little fact I just learned that I thought I'd share.

Latest Threads