NVGD : 1956 Les Paul Junior

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
Stock tuners should be fine.
I`ve got 8 of these, no problems.

Plus someone replaced the tuner tips on your guitar for a reason.

reedy

Reaction score
My original tuners hold tune just fine. With the 12:1 ratio you can't fine tune as easily but you can still get there. I've also found with mine that you really need to stretch the strings and retune a couple of times with new strings to get the guitar to hold tune.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Boss, I found out the hard way and I just assumed that the new Klusons would be the same as the originals. So I bought a set and was disheartened when I went to mount them and they weren't the same. It turns the company (WD, I think) just bought the rights tot he name and logos etc. Apparently there is a company in Europe somewhere that is also making Kluson branded stuff and I have no idea if their stuff is the same in terms of fit or not. lol!
The other thing with the Gotoh tuners is the buttons are bright white and will look a little out of place on the old junior, if you care about that sort of thing.
Kluson branded tuners from Fake '58 here in the UK drop straight in. They are not the best in the world, but they work well enough for me. I have them on 3 or 4 50's guitars.

Liam

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kluson branded tuners from Fake '58 here in the UK drop straight in. They are not the best in the world, but they work well enough for me. I have them on 3 or 4 50's guitars.

Liam
Yeah, the ones with "Japan" stamped on the back (like Julian sells) tend to be better reproductions, IMO.

jaik

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful input !

I applied some Big Bends Nut Sauce last night to the nut and it made a huge difference for the gig today, I was surprised how much it helped, quite dramatic. I probably should have qtipped the slots out first to clean them, but this graphite/teflon goop stopped whatever friction and pinching was happening and its a lot more stable now. Still the gear ratio makes it a lil hard to get accurate on the fly.

maybe I should get Gforce tuners, before their getting discontinued after one year makes them "collector's items" on eBay haha :laugh2:

Older tuners, no matter who made them NEED a little lube especially if they were not used in a long time.
old mark , what do you suggest for cleaning & lubricating the tuners? They turn fine, but everything else was dirty so I'm sure they are too.

Stock tuners should be fine.
I`ve got 8 of these, no problems.

Plus someone replaced the tuner tips on your guitar for a reason.
The tuner tips were replaced long ago because they crumbled apart, as those can. I had a 50s tuner disintegrate in my hand once, not a good feeling haha. This thing was neglected for decades

old mark

Reaction score
Jaik just a few drops of a machine oil - sewing machine oil, gun oil, 3 in 1, whatever. Just make sure they are free and a little lubed, they shouldn't be really wet. Spray lube is OK if you are sparing with it.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Junior. : )

It seems like almost all '56 juniors have the pickup in the original 1954-1955 position. I don't beige that it moved until very late in the year.

What's the story on the giant toy Lincoln? That looks to be close to 1/3 scale. :wow:

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

It seems like almost all '56 juniors have the pickup in the original 1954-1955 position. I don't beige that it moved until very late in the year.

What's the story on the giant toy Lincoln? That looks to be close to 1/3 scale. :wow:
My '56, serial # 615037, not too much later than this one, has the later pickup position.

keeff

Reaction score

The pickup did move in late 1956, in the 13,000s serial number range.
The SN of the OP's guitar is unknown, but some Jrs in the 13,000s have the old spacing, and some the wider new spacing.

After the 13,840s they all seem to have the wider spacing between the bridge and pickup. The highest number on a 1956 Jr I have seen is 6 15497 - I own that one, and it has the wider spacing (duh).

jaik

Reaction score
Good info Keeff and awesome looking Jr Sws1 thanks for sharing !

@keeff my serial number is lower than 613840 so that jives well with your information.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the serial numbers have a space after the 6 early in 1956, and then when they surpassed a certain production amount they started over without the space late in the year ? If that's right & 615497 is close to the latest 1956 Jr; that places the pickup placement change very very late in 56.

jaik

Reaction score

I know a lot of artists :) It was a commissioned piece the artist didn't sell. He's working on an f16 now hahaha. I was just looking for fun backdrops for the pictures.

PM me if you want to buy the car haha , maybe he'll trade for a Les Paul :laugh2:

keeff

Reaction score
Good info Keeff and awesome looking Jr Sws1 thanks for sharing !

@keeff my serial number is lower than 613840 so that jives well with your information.

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the serial numbers have a space after the 6 early in 1956, and then when they surpassed a certain production amount they started over without the space late in the year ? If that's right & 615497 is close to the latest 1956 Jr; that places the pickup placement change very very late in 56.
OOPS jaik...not sure if we're talking about the same thing (but maybe we are):

The 6 XXXX starts to become 6XXXXX when the serial numbers reach the 10,000s - that is when the 'space' between the digits is lost.

The other 'space': the distance between bridge and pickup on '56 Jrs. The wider space starts to appear in the 13,000s range, but initially not consistently. Only after the 13,840s range I have not seen Jrs with the smaller spacing anymore - but with Gibson anything is possible.

Did the 13,000s range appear late in 1956? I would think so, but still a fair number of Jrs were made in the 13,000-15,500s range. I am only basing this assumption on pictures of '56 Jrs that I have been collecting over the years - not on Gibson ledger info. In other words, a '56 Jr with the wider pickup spacing is not that rare.

jaik

Reaction score
OOPS jaik...not sure if we're talking about the same thing (but maybe we are):
yes, I think we are talking about the same things
the space between the 6 and the rest of the serial number being one thing
and the space between the pup & bridge being another.

if there are 13,000 serial numbers before the pup:bridge spacing widened and about 2,500 serial numbers after the pup:bridge spacing widened, that seems to point towards the wider pickup spacing occurring very late in the year and I'd think it'd be less common for 1956 ?

In any case, I have this guitar in at Third Coast Guitar in Chicago right now having a proper setup and a light fret leveling done to get her in top shape & I'm going to go pick her up now

I might post some live video from last week soon, if that's forum appropriate. Shows the thing going clean to mean & in between with vol knob adjustments & a cranked super reverb

keeff

Reaction score
if there are 13,000 serial numbers before the pup:bridge spacing widened and about 2,500 serial numbers after the pup:bridge spacing widened, that seems to point towards the wider pickup spacing occurring very late in the year and I'd think it'd be less common for 1956 ?
Less common, sure. But it seems to me that Gibson made relatively many Jrs late in 1956 as compared to earlier in the year. I have about 30 '56s Jrs listed in the post 13,000 SN range that have the wider spacing pup. So I am sure there are a lot more of those out there... :dude:

Herbie74

Reaction score
I put a hybrid set of strings on mine. 10s on the top and 9s on the bottom. Great chunk for chords and bends great for leads.

jaik

Reaction score
I just got mine set up with 11s , got the frets leveled a bit, and the action is really really low, I might even crank it back up a bit to have more room to get under the strings on bends etc, but now there's room to put it anywhere, the set up is so good.

just got it checked out & the p90 reads 8.03 ; pretty hot

Latest Threads