NVGD: 1955 Les Paul Special

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent arrival to my home - a 1955 Les Paul Special. This one has a handful of non-original parts, but is easily the best one that I've ever had. This is the third one that I've owned and I think it's going to stick this time. I previously had a refinished '58 that I sold and replaced with a mostly-original '57, which I liked better. It's only real issue was that the fretboard had been planed during a refret to such a degree that it went into the side dot markers and the radius felt a bit flat in the higher register. I never actually listed it for sale, but someone on another forum was looking for a player-grade one and we made a deal for it.

Like the previous one, this one has been refretted as well, but no fretboard planing this time. It also has more of the wheat color than the '57, which was a much darker yellow.

I'm don't really care that much about weight, but it was immediately obvious that this one was noticeably lighter than the other two that I had. I weighed it when I first got it and it came in at 6 lbs, 15.8 oz. I think it had 9-42 strings on it, so we'll call it an even 7 lbs now. :p

More importantly, it sounds phenomenal and really loves gain. I'll try and update the thread with a video at some point, but here are the pics that I took over the weekend. I got a new camera and am still adjusting to it and the new lenses, so a few of these have some depth-of-field and/or ISO issues, but we'll just call them artsy. ;)

Truth011

Reaction score
Congrats on a nice find! There's nothing like a great playing and sounding vintage instrument.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Gorgeous special ! Love the color

Did you ever get that Junior back that you were restoring ?

mdubya

Reaction score
You've got all of the cool guitars! That looks like a great one.
:dude:

RAG7890

Reaction score
..........now that’s Special. :thumbs: :applause::applause::applause:

HNGD David.

Just out of interest do you know the PU readings?

Cheers, Rudi.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
..........now that’s Special. :thumbs: :applause::applause::applause:

HNGD David.

Just out of interest do you know the PU readings?

Cheers, Rudi.
Thanks, Rudi. No, I don't have those. At least one is either a late '50s or early '60s replacement, so this wouldn't provide good data regarding mid '50s P-90 readings. It also has '60s black beauty caps in the harness, so somebody was poking around in there in the '60s. I have a pair of '50s bumblebees that I was planning on putting in to restore them, but everything sounds so good as-is, I think I'm just going to leave it alone.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I wanted to share a recent arrival to my home - a 1955 Les Paul Special. This one has a handful of non-original parts, but is easily the best one that I've ever had. This is the third one that I've owned and I think it's going to stick this time. I previously had a refinished '58 that I sold and replaced with a mostly-original '57, which I liked better. It's only real issue was that the fretboard had been planed during a refret to such a degree that it went into the side dot markers and the radius felt a bit flat in the higher register. I never actually listed it for sale, but someone on another forum was looking for a player-grade one and we made a deal for it.

Like the previous one, this one has been refretted as well, but no fretboard planing this time. It also has more of the wheat color than the '57, which was a much darker yellow.

I'm don't really care that much about weight, but it was immediately obvious that this one was noticeably lighter than the other two that I had. I weighed it when I first got it and it came in at 6 lbs, 15.8 oz. I think it had 9-42 strings on it, so we'll call it an even 7 lbs now. :p

More importantly, it sounds phenomenal and really loves gain. I'll try and update the thread with a video at some point, but here are the pics that I took over the weekend. I got a new camera and am still adjusting to it and the new lenses, so a few of these have some depth-of-field and/or ISO issues, but we'll just call them artsy. ;)

Jaw hits floor that is the nicest Junior ive ever seen :eek2: your a lucky guy to have a vintage lp junior or not.:dude:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
I like that guitar a lot--very simple and beautiful. HNGD!! And nice camera work BTW.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I must apologise I called your Special a Junior but man that is a special Special got any more kickin around? ;)