---- NVAD: 1964 Fender Super Reverb ---

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Only had it for a couple hours but she is amazing. Pics for now and a real write up and video demo later.

Oh....and this pleasant surprise when I reached out to the seller on reverb.com

Full Album

Today is my birthday....and it will always be a memorable one. The wife-to-be also got me a nice relic'ed Tele case and some cool stuff.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats dude! :applause:

What a prize! You just gotta love a 763 circuit.

And yours seems to have had just the right caps replaced, and 3 prong.

The rest is golden! The speakers, the whole package is bitchin!

Great score on the Sed's and the old glass as well!

Happy Birthday!! :wave:

SonicBoom

Reaction score
Very nicely maintained amp!! Looks like my '66. Is that the orig. two prong power plug? If so, you're gonna want to get that changed to a grounded plug and remove the death cap. We'd like to see you make it to your next b'day. Fwiw, it won't hurt the resale.

:thumb:

Only had it for a couple hours but she is amazing. Pics for now and a real write up and video demo later.

Oh....and this pleasant surprise when I reached out to the seller on reverb.com

Full Album

Today is my birthday....and it will always be a memorable one. The wife-to-be also got me a nice relic'ed Tele case and some cool stuff.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Very nicely maintained amp!! Looks like my '66. Is that the orig. two prong power plug? If so, you're gonna want to get that changed to a grounded plug and remove the death cap. We'd like to see you make it to your next b'day. Fwiw, it won't hurt the resale.

:thumb:
Nope...recently serviced and changed to 3 prong long ago

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice amp! None finer. That was my first Fender back in 1971 (or so).

Case24

Reaction score
Congratulations and Happy Birthday! That is a beautiful SR! Those SED =C= 6L6GC's are a great tube and going up in value. I have a pair in my Vibrolux.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and Happy Birthday! That is a beautiful SR! Those SED =C= 6L6GC's are a great tube and going up in value. I have a pair in my Vibrolux.
Me too! Love the Winged "C" in the VR! But you need deep pockets to get them now as you say.

Also found the Electro Harmonix 12AX7's make a great preamp tube for the blackface circuits. Tames the top end, and adds some grunt to it. Running those in all my BF amps now.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Congratulations, and what a hell of a birthday! :thumb:

Looks like you got a sweet one. I got a 68 Drip-edge a few years ago. It was all completely untouched original. It is the period when they switched to silver face plates but still had the BF circuit. I had to get the three-prong and filter caps modded myself.

I cannot find a thing bad to say about these amps. For me, the weight is well worth the glorious sounds that come out of these things. One night, I was unloading it from my truck onto a hand cart in a gravel parking lot. When pulling the cart a few feet from the truck, the amp (a little top heavy) rolled off the side of the cart and cartwheeled to slam face down in the gravel. It only had a vinyl cover over it.

I freaked out, but after checking all the tubes, I powered it up and gigged with it the whole night. It worked flawlessly, and still going strong today. These things are built like a tank.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :applause:

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Thanks for the the kind words fellas. She is wonderful and I have had some more time this morning to mess around but Im super hung over. Ill try to at least get some audio clips up later if I cant manage a video. So far Im having a blast but controlling this monster at home takes some work. Regardless of volumes the bass alone could get you in trouble as it vibrates everything in site. I have been playing entirely though my LP but today I tired this guy out a lil (the funny knob is a dual concentric)

and though I dont have the playin skills you instance hear a SRV type sound. I also removed v1 tube and put it in the v6 position and it does increase gain but it also makes it louder. Im tempted to disconnect two speakers but I worry about the long term effects though I dont play loud. Ill keep playing and post more updates as soon as the room stops spinning.

Llayton

Reaction score
May you enjoy this awesome amp for many years to some. I played the same amp once, a full SRV tone, at its best.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Feeling worse as the day went on but man is it fun goofing around on this thing. First rough attempt capturing what she sounds like.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjOwBzlJgM]1964 Super Reverb P90 Demo - YouTube[/ame]

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Demo with the Les Paul. I worried to much about clipping and ended up hesitating in my playing but its a fair representation of the sound in the room.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2nj8d0w-Dg]1964 Super Reverb Les Paul Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Im tempted to disconnect two speakers but I worry about the long term effects though I dont play loud.

Now you understand the down-side of these outstanding amplifiers. They're just too freakin loud. The Super, Bandmaster, Bassman, Twin, Showman are all too powerful. Best to use an O/D pedal and keep the amp down low.

NYC LP player

Reaction score
Now you understand the down-side of these outstanding amplifiers. They're just too freakin loud. The Super, Bandmaster, Bassman, Twin, Showman are all too powerful. Best to use an O/D pedal and keep the amp down low.
I knew going in that this was beyond overkill. Sounds great with pedals and Ill do a dirty demo later. That said unless I swap the OT and use the Unleash I dont think Ill get anywhere near natural breakup.

I heard I can disconnect 2 speakers which makes it 4 ohms but will I risk harming the amp long term and will it give me much of a drop in volume?

Latest Threads