Nut Files....Recommendations?

Paul46

Reaction score
The time has come to invest in a decent set of nut slotting files.
What's everyone using and which ones should be avoided?

badoogie

Reaction score
I've got some of the StewMac gauged nut slotting files. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I've been happy with them. I started off with just three of them, and now I'm up to six.

Murkar

Reaction score
I have a set of the guaged files from StewMac...never had any problems. Worth getting a set that you think you'll be satisfied with regardless of cost unless you're on a very tight budget...since a set of nut files is something you'll ideally be buying once :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
I have the full set of StewMac files. They work great and they make a nice slot shaped just right

Paul46

Reaction score
Thanks guys, heading over to the StewMac site now!

Marty M.

Reaction score
Yes, this is my 3rd file set. I had some of the thin stewmac gauged ones and most of the thin gauged ones broke over the years. They are really brittle. I like the thickness of these.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Marty M.
Run your files through a junk nut and look at the bottom of the slot, under magnification. I think you'll be surprised! I first bought a set like yours and couldn't understand how I must have messed up "TWICE" on the G string slot. I then discovered that the .017"/.046" labeled plastic handle had actually been incorrectly put on a file for their "Classical Guitar" file set that was in fact .046" on one side and .035" on the other side! :wow: I thought they looked very robust and durable, but my decision was made after looking at the slot bottoms they cut. I ended up with "edge cut" units from the same company. Much nicer bottoms, but I totally agree about their fragility!
Just My $.02,
Gene

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Be sure to order files that are at least one string size (if not two) larger than the strings you prefer.

moreles

Reaction score
I'll tell you what NOT to get... those multi-sets of wire-like blowtorch nozzle files that are marketed as though you'll end up with a vast range of file sizes at minimal cost. I find them useful for rounding slot bottoms or adjusting the width of an already-cut slot, but they are way too flexible to cut good slots from scratch. Tempting (cheap!) but except for making adjustments, not up to the job, IMO. StewMac need to reduce its nut file prices.

Latest Threads