Number one’s action and bridge/stop bar height.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been perusing pictures of said guitar on interweb, in this pic, I have just noticed a detail that reveals an interesting setup. Been looking at grain mainly as want to match the look, so not really looked at hardware, but from this angle it stood out. Looks to be quite a high action, looking at the bridge and stop bar, the strings angle in this pic is hard to judge but look to be quite high.

Never noticed these details before, interesting. What I also see is something that’s been bugging me on my own les Paul’s, the bridge pickup seems a different shade to the neck, not sure if it’s just the greater surface area reflecting a greater part of the top, of course this pick has been swapped a few times so may not have kept original ring.

84EAFA1A-134C-41D9-A1D7-6C9B41DD24E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Yes, the bridge looks to be quite high. I have an ES Les Paul like this. I screwed the tailpiece all the way down and tried top-wrapping and it plays nicely, so I have left it like that. The bridge height doesn't appear to affect the guitar negatively at all.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I think of it, maybe I had seen this before, I have a vague memory of setting my sig model to replicate the height, I don’t think I liked it, cannot recall what it was precisely, also back then I wasn’t particularly aware of the subtleties of string tension (2005), maybe the strings felt to slack, I don’t know. Will try it again and see how it feels.

ARandall

Reaction score
Every vintage guitar had its own neck angle......and you go into the 70's and even that there was a lot of variation.
By the time the rocker tenon came out it was much better for consistency. But even then the carve had a small amount to do with it.

But there is zero use in comparing guitars just for bridge height and trying to make anything about it. Its like deciding whether someone is a good player due to their shoe size.

endial

Reaction score
But there is zero use in comparing guitars just for bridge height and trying to make anything about it. Its like deciding whether someone is a good player due to their shoe size.
Truth!

I wear a size 8, and I'm much better than that.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every vintage guitar had its own neck angle......and you go into the 70's and even that there was a lot of variation.
By the time the rocker tenon came out it was much better for consistency. But even then the carve had a small amount to do with it.

ah, ok, so on this guitar the reason for the high bridge could be the neck angle rather than mr pages preference for string height. i was assuming the latter, as I hadn't realised just how variable the neck angle could be. I wonder what it is?

Roxy13

Reaction score
A bit has to do with string height, but really you are moving up 1/64" or 0.1mm at a time setting the action. So a guitar with a low set bridge won't look very strange with high action, nor will a high bridge look low with low action.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been perusing pictures of said guitar on interweb, in this pic, I have just noticed a detail that reveals an interesting setup. Been looking at grain mainly as want to match the look, so not really looked at hardware, but from this angle it stood out. Looks to be quite a high action, looking at the bridge and stop bar, the strings angle in this pic is hard to judge but look to be quite high.

Never noticed these details before, interesting. What I also see is something that’s been bugging me on my own les Paul’s, the bridge pickup seems a different shade to the neck, not sure if it’s just the greater surface area reflecting a greater part of the top, of course this pick has been swapped a few times so may not have kept original ring.

View attachment 523260
Jimmy Page's #1?
The bridge pickup was replaced and does not have a chrome cover.
That's a bare double-black pickup.

Dazza

Reaction score
When the bridge pickup was replaced with a T Top it had a standard chrome cover, the neck still had it's PAF nickel cover. It's not until sometime later the bridge cover was taken off and we get the look we're most familiar with.

Daz

Latest Threads