NTD table saw

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 2 years ago when I started getting into the blacksmith work I needed to make some space in my shop.
The biggest offender for taking up floor space was a huge Jet cabinet table saw.
It was way oversized for my purposes, so I sold it intending to just go out and get a smaller one right away.

As it turned out I didnt do any luthier work for some time so I never replaced it, but now that I'm doing some guitar work again
it was time. I went with this Dewalt model mostly because it got good reviews and also it has a 5/8" arbor which fits my fret-slotting saw blade. Am I lazy? Sure I am.

Still have to rig up the slotting jig, but thats no biggie

dewalt10in.jpg

Last edited:

lowatter

Reaction score
Nice choice. If you're not cabinet making or furniture building, this is all you would need in your shop and it stores nicely too. I've used a similar DeWalt saw for years and built an outfeed table on wheels for the shop at work.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's what I have, Chris.

You're going to love the rack and pinion fence.

I've got mine set up where I have almost zero runout in 3 feet. If I cut a 3 foot board that's 1.065, it will be 1.065 on one end, and no more than 1.066 on the other. If you take care in setting the fence on those capscrew indexes, you can get it perfect.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Nice choice. If you're not cabinet making or furniture building, this is all you would need in your shop and it stores nicely too. I've used a similar DeWalt saw for years and built an outfeed table on wheels for the shop at work.
I disagree, in a good way. I have this saw as well and have built quite a bit of cabinetry with it. I think Dave will agree with me, it's a great saw for cabinet making!

The table is a little small when it comes to processing large sheets of plywood, but it's doable. It's excellent for guitar work!

lowatter

Reaction score
I disagree, in a good way. I have this saw as well and have built quite a bit of cabinetry with it. I think Dave will agree with me, it's a great saw for cabinet making!

The table is a little small when it comes to processing large sheets of plywood, but it's doable. It's excellent for guitar work!
I meant professionally in a full cabinet making production environment which I've worked in for many years. Chris's Jet table saw would've been closer to what is used in the the industry. 220V 3 phase and reserve amp torque makes all the difference in the world for daily professional use and application. Again...the DeWalt is just fine in a garage-shop doing what he's doing.

Last edited:

Blackstar1099

Reaction score
So 2 years ago when I started getting into the blacksmith work I needed to make some space in my shop.
The biggest offender for taking up floor space was a huge Jet cabinet table saw.
It was way oversized for my purposes, so I sold it intending to just go out and get a smaller one right away.

As it turned out I didnt do any luthier work for some time so I never replaced it, but now that I'm doing some guitar work again
it was time. I went with this Dewalt model mostly because it got good reviews and also it has a 5/8" arbor which fits my fret-slotting saw blade. Am I lazy? Sure I am.

Still have to rig up the slotting jig, but thats no biggie
That's what I have, Chris.

You're going to love the rack and pinion fence.

I've got mine set up where I have almost zero runout in 3 feet. If I cut a 3 foot board that's 1.065, it will be 1.065 on one end, and no more than 1.066 on the other. If you take care in setting the fence on those capscrew indexes, you can get it perfect.

Hi Chris, Dave.

I think it's time to invest in a table saw. My local store stocks 3 models of a Dewalt. Is yours the DWE7491-XE? The biggest of the 3?

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris, Dave.

I think it's time to invest in a table saw. My local store stocks 3 models of a Dewalt. Is yours the DWE7491-XE? The biggest of the 3?
The one I bought is the DWE7491RS

Looking up the XE I can only find it in Australia, so maybe its the down under version of the RS?

From the images it looks like the same saw

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Chris, Dave.

Mine is the DW745 with the 10" blade. It has a blade rise maximium of 3.25" -just about.

I bought it several years ago, and it's still perfectly true.

I can cut perfectly-thicknessed headstock overlays with it. .060 is no problem, and they are .060 at each end.

I'm damn happy with my saw, and I'd buy it again.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is the DW745 with the 10" blade. It has a blade rise maximium of 3.25" -just about.

I bought it several years ago, and it's still perfectly true.

I can cut perfectly-thicknessed headstock overlays with it. .060 is no problem, and they are .060 at each end.

I'm damn happy with my saw, and I'd buy it again.
mine is pretty much that same saw, but with fold-up legs...

Charliep

Reaction score
One thing to look for is that the Spindle is long enough to support the use of Stacked Dado Blades. I looked at one Dewalt that could not do that that is why I bought my Hitachi instead. My old cheap Craftsman worked with a 1/2" Stacked Dado 6" diameter for cutting Finger Joints for my Amp Cabinets . The Hitachi will do a wider Stack while I didn't use it on my last cab build as I used a new Dovetail Jig and a Router and was very pleased with that method too!

Roxy13

Reaction score
One thing to look for is that the Spindle is long enough to support the use of Stacked Dado Blades. I looked at one Dewalt that could not do that that is why I bought my Hitachi instead. My old cheap Craftsman worked with a 1/2" Stacked Dado 6" diameter for cutting Finger Joints for my Amp Cabinets . The Hitachi will do a wider Stack while I didn't use it on my last cab build as I used a new Dovetail Jig and a Router and was very pleased with that method too!
True enough. My old Craftsman will support dado blades and I did the same thing. I made a cab for my Dual Showman head and had to do the finger joints.

I do also have a dovetail jig for doing those with a router.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I admit I'm interested in one of these DeWalts for the rack and pinion fence, but do I need 2 table saws? Lol. It does seem like the fence on my Craftsman is very accurate. My Craftsman also has the router table built in so it's serving 2 purposes for me.

DaveR

Reaction score
I admit I'm interested in one of these DeWalts for the rack and pinion fence, but do I need 2 table saws? Lol. It does seem like the fence on my Craftsman is very accurate. My Craftsman also has the router table built in so it's serving 2 purposes for me.
Roxy, I’ve owned an old Craftsman contractor saw that was upgraded with a Bies style fence, I’ve used the rack and pinion Dewalt everyone talks about, and now I own a SawStop Cabinet Saw. There’s no comparison really. Dewalt will get the job done, but I find the table to be way too small and the motor is a bit underpowered and I would be reluctant to try dados on it (although I’m sure it will work with certain dado stacks). The rack and pinion fence was just OKAY and better than the original fence on my craftsman but the whole thing just feels too small and flimsy for me. My Craftsman with the fence upgrade was better in terms of power, table size, and fence accuracy, but could only do so much. And the SawStop is amazing hands down. The Dewalt is an adequate saw for sure, but kind of like choosing between an old Hyundai and a Cadillac. They’ll both get you where you’re goin...

Since Chris used to own a proper cabinet saw, he may find the little saws to be lacking, but for just making guitars, I’m sure it’ll work out alright. Probably not much need for dado cutting with what he’s doing. I know Dave loves his Dewalt and has made plenty of guitars. For me, I make more furniture than guitars and a cabinet saw is the cornerstone of my shop.

Reaction score
You guys are going about this all wrong. You NEED a big cabinet saw with a long outfeed table and huge side extensions. Why? Where else are you going to store all the stuff you are working on! :rofl:At least that's what mine gets used for most of the time.....but it is handy when I have to cut down 4x8 sheets of ply by myself.

BTW - mine is the Sawstop PCS. I'll 2nd what DaveR said - best table saw I've ever used, hands down. Not saying everyone needs one, but it's like going from a toy to a high end tool. Precision, repeatability, stability, dust collection, I could go on. And the fact it might save my fingers one day - priceless!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y’all never tried to cram a wood shop AND a blacksmith shop into one two-car garage did you?

‘you do what you have to do.

the big cabinet saw was nice but it took up more space than anything else in the shop and all I used it for was slotting fretboards and sometimes ripping down rough cut stock maybe 8/4 at the thickest.
I bet the desalt is more than up to the task and it also fold up and rolls into the corner

can’t see any reason I’d be needing big dado cuts

i occasionally build guitars, fabricate stuff with my MIG, and forge knives and other steel things.

DaveR

Reaction score
Y’all never tried to cram a wood shop AND a blacksmith shop into one two-car garage did you?
Somehow I still manage to stuff all the big stationary woodworking tools AND two SUVs into a two car garage but it’s a tight squeeze and only when the weather is crap. But we’ve reached the point where there’s no room left for anything else or one of those cars will have to stay in the driveway when it snows.

Charliep

Reaction score

‘you do what you have to do.

the big cabinet saw was nice but it took up more space than anything else in the shop and all I used it for was slotting fretboards and sometimes ripping down rough cut stock maybe 8/4 at the thickest.
I bet the desalt is more than up to the task and it also fold up and rolls into the corner

can’t see any reason I’d be needing big dado cuts

i occasionally build guitars, fabricate stuff with my MIG, and forge knives and other steel things.
The fact is that my saw folds down to fit into a corner and still does Dado Cuts, Dewalt is not the Best Option! At least not the Model they had in 2017. Why settle for less than you may find later you needed a saw to do more with? I know that Dewalt does have a saw that is capable too of doing what mine does because just recently I checked one out at Lowes and I hadn't seen that Dewalt Model there when I bought my Hitachi in 2017. It also can handle a wider Dado Stack. Just be mindful of your options on the models you are considering! I lifted the Blade Cover Plate to check the length on the Spindle.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I still manage to stuff all the big stationary woodworking tools AND two SUVs into a two car garage but it’s a tight squeeze and only when the weather is crap. But we’ve reached the point where there’s no room left for anything else or one of those cars will have to stay in the driveway when it snows.
yours must be a much bigger 2 car garage than mine. mine is 18x20. I couldn’t fit a single vehicle in there (except my motorcycle) and that was before I added an entire blacksmith shop in there next to the wood shop :)

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact is that my saw folds down to fit into a corner and still does Dado Cuts, Dewalt is not the Best Option! At least not the Model they had in 2017. Why settle for less than you may find later you needed a saw to do more with? I know that Dewalt does have a saw that is capable too of doing what mine does because just recently I checked one out at Lowes and I hadn't seen that Dewalt Model there when I bought my Hitachi in 2017. It also can handle a wider Dado Stack. Just be mindful of your options on the models you are considering! I lifted the Blade Cover Plate to check the length on the Spindle.
FTR I don’t generally tell people that the thing they’ve already bought wasn’t the best option. ;)

Latest Threads