NSD! Marshall DSL40C + G12M Greenback = Classic Rock BLISS!

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
My DSL40C originally came with a Vintage 30 which I thought sounded great. Later I got a 1960a cab with G12T-75s in it and after adjusting to it I actually liked it better because the V30 was a bit too rough, bassy, spikey, and the distortion wasn't what I was looking for. Too modern. But the 1960a also was maybe a little bit generic. Being a fan of Johan Segeborn's YouTube channel, he always emphasizes that 80% of his classic rock type tone comes from the Greenback speakers. Always his number 1 recommendation.

So I started looking for Greenback type speakers that could handle higher wattage, but still get that tone. Listened to tons of samples, and none got that squeaky, squilchy, schwingy treble distortion that a Greenback gets, save maybe the Scumback. But even then, very close, but no cigar for my tastes.

Well a used broken-in Greenback came up for sale locally for a decent price so I figured maybe I could just run my amp in triode half power mode. Never really use it, but I started setting it up for that and could get pretty close to how it sounded in full power mode, so I bought it. Finally installed it tonight. Sounded boxy with my old EQ setting, but after some fiddling, more bass, full mids, and about 3 hours of playing, all I have to says is...

INCREDIBLE! The sound in my head and of a thousand albums were coming out of my fingers, and it's a beautiful sound. The squeaky, squilchy, schwingy treble distortion is there. The distortion is so smooth yet crunchy, and it sustains for days. That surprised me the most. I don't think the actual sustain is longer, but the distortion itself definitely sustains much much longer, almost until it fades out.

I've done a few upgrades on guitars, and they all improved whatever I upgraded, but this is the upgrade to base every other upgrade on. Can't say it would be that for everyone, but it is for me.

Since I don't play incredibly loud, I may eventually take a chance and try it in 40 watt pentode mode to get just that little extra dimension to it...

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Thanks! I dug for months and months and it seems no one, at least publicly, put a Greenback in a DSL. Lots of speculation and encouragement to try higher watt Creambacks and such, but for 90 bucks it's worth taking the chance. And it was worth it.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
That's good to hear. I've been toying with converting my DSL40C into a head and making a 2x12 cab with greenbacks in it.
I had the same thought. Still thinking about it. Mulling building a 2x12 cab from scratch, or just adding first 2 and then eventually 4 greenbacks to my existing cab, and maybe even refurbishing the tolex and speaker cloth.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Running in Triode mode definitely changes the tone (and response) of the amp, though. It's more mellow on the top end and the gain texture is smoother than Pentode, and the feel is a little "squishier", like there's a little compression going on.

I have a 50-watt Lynchback that I occasionally load into my DSL40C, which is similar to a Greenback, and I do like it but ultimately prefer the Vintage 30 in that amp. I think the Lynchback is closer in tone to a Greenback than the Creamback models are.

One thing you might want to try if you want to run the amp in 40-watt mode is a G12-65 or, better yet, try and find a clean Marshall-labelled "Heritage" which is like an earlier G12-65. I have one that I really liked in the DSL but right now it's doing duty in my JVM combo. Great compromise between the classic tone of a Greenback and the fatter midrange and tight bass of a V30.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I have a 50-watt Lynchback that I occasionally load into my DSL40C, which is similar to a Greenback
I considered the Lynchback but it's 8 ohms. I thought the dual 8 ohm outputs were for splitting between two cabs and not just a single speaker.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I considered the Lynchback but it's 8 ohms. I thought the dual 8 ohm outputs were for splitting between two cabs and not just a single speaker.
No, you can run an 8 ohm speaket by itself, just switch the speaker cable to one of the 8 ohm outputs. I do it all the time. But, if you use an 8 ohm internal speaker you won't be able to use an extension cab.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
No, you can run an 8 ohm speaket by itself, just switch the speaker cable to one of the 8 ohm outputs. I do it all the time. But, if you use an 8 ohm internal speaker you won't be able to use an extension cab.
I see. Gotcha. Good to know.

alstev

Reaction score
I love my DSL40C it was kind of shrill when I first got it about a month ago but just a few days ago I think the stock speaker broke in because the tone really smoothed out, I'm really really digging it now, and I think I'm gonna leave it stock.

ac/dcfan87

Reaction score
I love my DSL40C it was kind of shrill when I first got it about a month ago but just a few days ago I think the stock speaker broke in because the tone really smoothed out, I'm really really digging it now, and I think I'm gonna leave it stock.
This is how I felt about my Creamback speaker. I had full intentions of swapping it out for Scumbacks (which is the greenback tone IMO) but after it broke in I felt no need.

The Greenback RI is angrier in the mids and pumps out a little more volume than the older ones. I think most ppl today like it because of that and it feels more like the tone they hear on records.

I prefer a woodier tone and less efficiency and so for me the Scumbacks are the best and they sound the closest to the old ones. But those Creambacks are very good also.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ahhh yes,the speaker......amazing what them buggers can do! Glad you found your sound,brother!! So many ignore this crucial piece of the tone equation and I dont know why:dunno:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Ahhh yes,the speaker......amazing what them buggers can do! Glad you found your sound,brother!! So many ignore this crucial piece of the tone equation and I dont know why:dunno:
Yup. Everything you tweaked, tone-chased, and spent all that money on in the end comes out of the speaker(s). It's like how important tires are to a Formula1 car. You can have all the power, handling, and aerodynamics money can buy, but the tires are where it all meets the road. Same with the speaker.

Standard 64

Reaction score
many people would put a v30 in and say "incredible,the sound in my head and of a thousand albums"

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
many people would put a v30 in and say "incredible,the sound in my head and of a thousand albums"
Thats only after one has beat it with an axe handle,drug it through the mud and called it nasty names! Them buggers are some of the damndest speakers to break in.....I have one in a 1x12 cab that is well over 6 years old and brother,its finally where I like it. I say again,where I like it.
Not to derail yer thread Guitar Rod,however,heres what my v30 sounds like these days.

Im running a mesa/boogie TA-15 through it on the Marshally setting and the Voxy,using an EP for a bit of boost on the Zep sample......

mdubya

Reaction score
V30's sound good. And that is the sound to many. They just sound more modern than a Greenback. IMHO.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
V30's sound good. And that is the sound to many. They just sound more modern than a Greenback. IMHO.
Right. The V30 wasn't even released until 1986. So it is the sound of many great albums since then, but the Greenback is the sound of the formation, establishment, and foundation of Rock/Hard Rock/Metal, which speaks to me the most even though age-wise, I'm more part of the post-86 crowd.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Not to derail yer thread Guitar Rod,however,heres what my v30 sounds like these days.
No worries, I like seeing where threads go once I start them. Like your playing. And the speaker sounds good. My V30 is well broken in, it was used by a gigging musician, and I'm keeping it because it does more modern music well. I've noticed Sweet Child O' Mine just doesn't sound right at all on the Greenback.

Latest Threads