NPUD: The PAF beasts are here

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if New Pickup Day (NPUD) is a thing, but into my Murphy Aged TH Darkburst, they go...

It was between PG’s, Wizz’s, and these. I’ll do a tone demo, but these tick all the boxes of the tone I was going for and more.

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
HNPUD but I have to ask & no offence meant, but what is up with the aging on the Covers?

Vintage / Aged Covers do not look like this & Throbak Aged Covers I’ve had looked more realistic than these.

These are from his site, the ones I had look more like the ones on the LHS / in the GT:-

Not relevant here but the price for an Aged Throbak Cover is getting pretty silly.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
HNPUD but I have to ask & no offence meant, but what is up with the aging on the Covers?

Vintage / Aged Covers do not look like this & Throbak Aged Covers I’ve had looked more realistic than these.

These are from his site, the ones I had look more like the ones on the LHS / in the GT:-

Not relevant here but the price for an Aged Throbak Cover is getting pretty silly.

I agree i looks a bit weird (too clean base and too regular stripes). I guess they are trying to mimic this kind of aging (original PAF pictures);

Slashaxl

Reaction score
Nice. It is between Throbak, Wizz and Lollar for my next PU change in a LP I think.

I just put a ser of Amber Pickups, Spirit Of 59 in my R9, and they are sounding very very good. I doubt I can do better, but might find similar with sudden changes :)

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I bought a pick up cover from ThroBak a few weeks ago, no stripes whatsoever ...
IMG_2510.JPG

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys!

Regarding aging. I had these installed by my tech, and he used a cloth and wiped the pickups upon installation... 0 signs of streaks (so FYI: the aging is not permanent and you can easily wipe it off; pretty easy to age them by playing/home relicing).

Installing the Throbak harness today! So far....... these pickups made a guitar, that I thought couldnt sound better, unforgettable.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
HNPUD ... Normally these type of threads are posted in the Pickup sub-section ,, But it's all good either way , Enjoy ......

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats - I put a set of Throbaks in my R6/7 conversion and absolutely love 'em!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Nice one! I scored an R6 with Throbak pickups that sound great. The guy I brought it from absolutely loved Throbak PUs and I can't blame him.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up putting the custombucker back into the neck. The TB was a bit too dark sounding when volume was rolled off in the slghtest.
Here are some photos, mmmmmmm that neck tenon:cheers:
DCC9D700-F449-4359-8D1F-1CDF53AA4688.jpeg
32897B4B-194F-437C-869F-B67EBC7827DC.jpeg
F9798346-9141-44D8-B013-963417361CA7.jpeg
C0273499-312B-4B5B-84A1-15333D9DB420.jpeg

Les Paul John

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up putting the custombucker back into the neck. The TB was a bit too dark sounding when volume was rolled off in the slghtest.
Here are some photos, mmmmmmm that neck tenon:cheers:
View attachment 337685 View attachment 337686 View attachment 337687 View attachment 337688
Oh, as one who does luthier work if this happens with a vintage Gibson style single wire/braided ground usually it’s because the solder actually soaked through the fabric insulating the “Lead/hot” wire from the braided when soldering the ground to the pot back. It’s a very common mishap.

If there’s enough wire I would try to cut the affected portion off and redo it carefully to be sure not to overheat and allow soak through.

The solder touching through steals (bleed through) signal and changes how the capacitor is working giving it a dark tone like you would get from say a 0.047 capacitance.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, as one who does luthier work if this happens with a vintage Gibson style single wire/braided ground usually it’s because the solder actually soaked through the fabric insulating the “Lead/hot” wire from the braided when soldering the ground to the pot back. It’s a very common mishap.

If there’s enough wire I would try to cut the affected portion off and redo it carefully to be sure not to overheat and allow soak through.

The solder touching through steals (bleed through) signal and changes how the capacitor is working giving it a dark tone like you would get from say a 0.047 capacitance.
Very useful advice, thanks! I just checked the Throbak's wire after unsoldering, doesnt look like the braided coat was soaked. I guess I should've clarified that the Throbak was still on the bright side compared to say by APH-II SD's (my other A2 magnet pups), but just not bright enough for my liking. Even better was that the new harness made the custombucker better!

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Added mine yesterday (Throbak), honestly I’m not impressed, at all. I prefer WAY more the CB 68 I’ve on my 68Ri. Neck is bloody dark and bassy...bridge is too bright.