NPD x2 - Fulltone Plimsoul and Wampler Euhoria (with some OCS and Euphoria comparison

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got two new pedals in Friday. One was a Father's Day present from my sons, the other from me. I had been wanting to try both for sometime. When I started adding back dirt pedals, I wanted to go with well-built, iconic sounding pedals. I also value responsiveness, clarity, I thought transparency (more later) and dynamic 'amp-like response'. I started with the Sweet Honey OD, then the OCD. Wanted to see, if I was wrong to start with those two. I had looked at these two as well.

tgdqu.jpg

Will give you my take on each pedal, as well as how they compare to each other and my Sweet Honey OD and OCD.

I ran them into a Marshall DSL15H into an Avfatar 4x12 with Celestion G12H20s and WGS Veteran 30s (Like a V30) and a Rivera Chubster 55 through the same cab. Marshall was sed on its Green, Clean Channel, and the Rivera on the 'Fender Channel' dialed in like a fat Blackface.

Guitars used were a Gibson 60s Tribute GT LP with P90s and an Epiphone LE Custom LP with Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers.

BTW, both of these pedals, along with the OCD and SHOD are damn quiet pedals. No noise when on or off, no lag, etc. Just s tiny bit of hiss on higher or highest gains, if at all.
Fulltone Plimsoul

Hand made in the U.S. Claim to fame is dual clipping, both soft clipping or hard clipping or mixture of both. $143-$145
Bottom line is this is one badass fun Distortion pedal and it has a place on my board.

Easiest the heaviest pedal on my board. Built solid like all Fulltone gear. Built with all top grade parts. Quality. This pedal will last. Nice touch is the battery door is a flip door on the back, and uses a thumbscrew like the 4 on the OCD. But, it's just one thumbscrew.
Knob for tone, volume and Sustain, aka gain. There is also a min-knob for the Stage 2, Hard clipping.

So how does it sound? I have only ran it on 9v power. Haven't tried it on 18v, like I run my OCD. Even at the 9v this pedal sounds damn good. This is definitely the least transparent of my dirt pedals. I used to think that mattered a lot. It does, and it doesn't. I know this pedal is coloring the amp's tone. But you really don't care. It just sounds good. Yes there is a Mid and lower mid bump/boost. But, who cares if it sounds good. This is definitely a Distortion pedal, not an OD pedal. Though it can do some OD work.

This pedal can definitely deliver a Marshall in a box tone. I could hear it on the DSL15H. Dialed in the red channel to match the Plimsoul on the Green channel, and was able to swap back and forth, sounding pretty darn close to identical. Also the other, more transparent pedals could be made to sound close to the Plimsoul on the Marshall. But, you really heard it on the Rivera. Gave that Marshall tone to that definite Fender sounding green channel, where the other pedals didn't.

Plimsoul has by far the most gain of the 2 new pedals, and all four mentioned above. Yes, it can go from light crunch to metal. But frankly, imho, this is not a pedal you want for light or bluesy crunch. It can it, but that isn't really it's wheelhouse. NO, this is for classic rock up to much more and metal territory. I have not been a fan, to date, of higher gain pedals. They all get way to buzz saw sounding, or muddled and overly compressed at high gain. Plimsoul did not. From 9 o'clock you move past that crunch into driven tones. At 12 you start getting into distortion territory.

It does compress your signal. In fact, it is by far the most compressed of the others (OCD, Euphoria, SHOD). But not like a lot of other distortion pedals. Better than a RAT, and I always thought that was one of the best in that department. Could still hear the separate strings

Yes, the pedal is 'amp-like', i.e. responds to your pick attack like an amp, dynamic etc. But, it is less so than the other pedals. That is unless you have the hard clipping up high. But, that is not it's forte. More than any dirt pedal I have tried to date, this sucker on a clean channel gives you the tone, sound and feel of a cranked, driven, saturated, albeit Marshall, amp. That, imho is where it excels. This pedal was made for lead, rock or metal guitar. Sustain up the wazoo, responsiveness, easy, useable/musical feedback. All there. Also responds very well to rolling the volume off the guitar. In this, it excels more than the other pedals, at least as far as maintaining volume level. Also cleans up in the process. Mind you, your starting dirtier, so it doesn't completely clean up, unless set very low gain.
Really liked other pedals driving it, other than a little more hiss. One thing that was nice, was setting it for a nice

The Soft clipping (controlled by the Sustain knob) and the separate hard clipping, give it versatility. The soft clipping is basically the same as tube screamers, FD2s etc. The Hard is like you will fine in an OCD, RAT etc. Plimsoul has both. Personally, I didn't like it with just the soft clipping, unless you had that cranked a tad (i.e. past noon). I thought it could sound a little muddled when not on the Bridge pup. I liked at least a little hard clipping on. It's because of this, it will sit next to the OCD. Without the soft clipping, it would just be a different EQed OCD, more or less. Without the Hard clipping, I don't think it sounds as good with all guitars or amps. With both, none of that is an issue.

Now some downside. It is definitely the noisiest of the 4 pedals. Now, take that with a grain of salt. The OCD is uber quiet, only adding a little hiss with the gain almost cranked fully. THe other 2 are lower gain and very quiet as well. Plimsoul is still a lot quieter than any dirt I have tried, and certainly any with matching gain levels. It really shows up the most when feeding another dirt pedal into it. And as mentioned, it does color the tine a little, and adds some compression (as compared to uber dynamic pedals). It also was not quite as good sounding at one setting, as one went through the pickup positions. Mind you, that's compared to some uber transparent pedals that excelled at this like no others. But, what I liked on the bridge, needed a little tone adjustment on the neck for the same gain etc settings.

Wampler Euphoria

Another well made, Hand made in US pedal. Again, quality construction you can see and feel.
Very versatile pedal. Very. If I hadn't already had a Sweet Honey OD and an OCD, I might have been floored by this pedal. It can cover a lot of ground.

You have a Volume knob, Gain knob, like others. A tone knob. But it isn 't neutral at noon. It adds highs and presence starting at zero on the knob, post crunch circuits. There is also a Bass knob.THis adds lows, but before the gain stages. This CAN change how the pedal sounds after it hits noon. Its how you can get into fuzz and wooly 60s distortion. There are also a 3 pos dip switch. D for a Dumble sound and feel. It has the most touch response and higher presence. Open position for less gain, more transparent tone, voluime boost, more forward. Crunch for higher gain levels.

It is actually the most transparent of all 4 pedals. That is, unless you don't want it to be. At low gain levels, you can really hear the clean ch, the amp in the tone. This even at all 3 toggle settings (more to come). Euphoria was also, overall the most touch responsive to pick attack of all 4 pedals. And the OCD and SHOD are no slouches. Euphoria was just a little bit more, without having to dial it in like the SHOD with it's Focus up high. This continued even into some of the highest gain settings, like the SHOD with the focus up. This is an extremely amp-like pedal. Touch sensitive, like an amp at and beyond its break-up point, responds to toll-off the volume and cleans up fantastically.

There is a lot of ground this one pedal can cover. It is the best of the 4 at that blues crunch, OD tones. It can do classic rock, modern rock. Metal, no. With the Bass knb and how it is pre-gain and the 3 pos switch, this pedal can sound like more than one pedal. In fact, it covers all the ground the SHOD and OCD does, and them some. Won't get as high gain as the Plimsoul.

But, that is also it's downside in a way. It is the most versatile in range, but it is also the 'highest maintenance'. That versatility means you have to slightly tweak it for different amps. What I had set for the Marshall, did not sound as good as on the Rivera/Fender. Not until I tweaked it a little on the Highs/presence, and a little more bass. OCS was much more of a forget it and use pedal. Plimsoul even more so, as you set it for type and amount of gain, and was just as good on either amp. SHOD was the same in this regard. That Bass setting has a major effect. So, you have to be careful. It is easy to make the pedal muffled and muddied in a heartbeat with this knob.

Overall, this is one damn fine pedal.
Last thoughts/bottom line
As far as gain level, I put them lowest to highest SHOD, Euphoria, barely ahead OCD, Plimsoul.
Both as well as my other 2 are all damn good touch sensitive, amp-like pedals.

If you want one pedal, specially for a studio/recording situation, that can cover a LOT of ground. If you want one that covers lightest crunch to solid OD, basically except high gain stuff. And, if you want this all with a lot of transparency, clarity etc. But, you have to be willing to Then the Euphoria is your choice. Also good for live play, if you want one pedal that can be setup for one sound from a whole plethora.

If you want a damn good, kick arse lead distortion pedal or just dam fine, responsive, clear, distortion pedal, get the Plimsoul.

Frankly. I think your best bang for the buck is get an OCD and Plimsoul. You can do that for $260 or so, which isn't much more than the @200 street of the Euphoria. YOu can get almost as much tonal ground as the Euphoria, and a bit more range in dain, and have two settings at once for live work.

The current board

tkja.jpg

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Congrats on the new pedals and many thanks for the write-up! Excellent choices (if I my say so, since I haven't actually played either... :laugh2: )
Very sweet dirt-section you have there!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new pedals and many thanks for the write-up! Excellent choices (if I my say so, since I haven't actually played either... :laugh2: )
Very sweet dirt-section you have there!

Thank you, np and I am still debating on keeping the Wampler there. Likely will set up the SHOD as a boost to the others, Wampler for light blues crunch, OCD for Classic Rock, and Plimsoul for more.

StandingWave

Reaction score
HNPD! I think that you characterized the PlimSoul well (no experience with the Euphoria).

lowmach

Reaction score
Thanks for the reviews. The PS is one of my favorite dirt pedals ever! One of those pedals that just never left my revolving pedalboard.

Here is a great example of the plimsoul in action with david grissom driving at the 8:20 mark:

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBjRMWPHsE"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBjRMWPHsE[/ame]

Latest Threads