NPD - WIZZ Pickups

d1m1

Reaction score
Hi guys

A sexy set of wizz pu´s arrived today. Double cream with unsoldered covers incl. matched rings. looks great and sounds freakin awesome amazing kick @ss killer! :dude: i´m blowen away! it´s the first set after long long time i fall in love from the first note!

i love my tom holmes and always compared them as a reference to other pu´s. the wizz are the very first pickups i´ve put on first place next to the holmes. and that means something. i couldnt say the one or the other is better. it´s a matter of taste for sure and both have their own character. also both share all tonal qualities a good pu should have imo. but i would say holmes are a bit more on the modern paf side while wizz are like real paf´s (or even better).

so the wizz have the whole package i´m after. they are very transparent, brilliant, natural and open sounding, have a great clarity and are very airy, when clean up they sound almost like an acoustic, the guitar sings like a bird, great string articulation (even overdriven), are very dynamic and response sensitive on picking attack, have a high fidelity w/o coloring the guitars tone (wood), can be bright (not harsh) but also smooth and warm, they have that awesome rich high-end complexity i associate with orig. paf´s and that sparkly punch when hit hard, get never muddy at all, even the wound strings on the neck pu are clear and transparent, have a hollow woody honk (and growl when overdriven), are very "alive" and also edgy and cover a wide tonal range. tons of tone, character and mojo.

most good "paf´s" i own/owned, a) have a great clarity but lack of character and egdy-ness and become boring, b) can scream but lose on clarity and atriculation and/or mids. wizz cover both territories like a dream. congrats to alex, he did some magic here. i´m at a point were i´m asking my self if i like real paf´s (good and less good ones) better than this. maybe the time is come to say no?

20140331_160544_zps4d086989.jpg

20140331_160652_zps6008fade.jpg

20140331_164530_zps8ed1229e.jpg

20140331_164152_zps0b6a2811.jpg

rclausen

Reaction score
They look fantastic. What's that sexy piece they're sitting in?

winexprt

Reaction score
They look great!

Alex is a first class guy...he did me a solid recently. :thumb:

d1m1

Reaction score
update second day. i love´em more and more...just cant stop playing:dude:

d1m1

Reaction score
Thats my old baby :thumb: Recognised the bigsby hole! How you getting on with it?

yes it´s your old lady:) almost two years after it has a bit more playware and some weather checkings. feels and looks like a 50´s one. it´s my workhorse. the OX4 paf´s are now on my hofner t6s semiacoustic. i cant imagine better pickups for that and i´ve tried dozents. it´s the perfect couple. they sound beautiful and regive the soul and that semiacoustic touch of that guitar perfectly. they totally nail the bloomfield burst tone (i call them the bloomfield paf´s). so imagine that bloomfield tone plus an acoustic touch:wow:

ARandall

Reaction score
That guitar has some serious mojo there....but you gotta do something about your pickguard screws.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My set of Wizz pickups (ordered unsoldered as well) should be here any day. I can't wait. Actually, I guess I have no choice, but whatever.

Those look great on that goldtop!

d1m1

Reaction score
My set of Wizz pickups (ordered unsoldered as well) should be here any day. I can't wait. Actually, I guess I have no choice, but whatever.

Those look great on that goldtop!

thats great! you´ll love´em! let us know when they arrive:dude:

ubw

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a pair of these pickups after hearing so many good things about them.

One very minor question, what's the reason for ordering the covers unsoldered? For now I like the look of covers but double creams are tasty and I may get the urge to remove the covers further down the road. Presumably unsoldered covers make that option easier but in the meantime, are there any issues with unsolvered covers staying in place on top of the pickups when the pups are installed on the guitar?

Sorry I know it's a bit of a silly question, albeit a genuine one! Thanks!!

d1m1

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a pair of these pickups after hearing so many good things about them.

One very minor question, what's the reason for ordering the covers unsoldered? For now I like the look of covers but double creams are tasty and I may get the urge to remove the covers further down the road. Presumably unsoldered covers make that option easier but in the meantime, are there any issues with unsolvered covers staying in place on top of the pickups when the pups are installed on the guitar?

Sorry I know it's a bit of a silly question, albeit a genuine one! Thanks!!

the covers fit tight on the pickups so there is no need to solder them. no issues at all. so in the end i can remove them and put them on whenever i like with out the solder job. makes sence since they are beautiful w and w/o covers ;)

Andy1966

Reaction score
Look great....are they marked neck and bridge..??..may be a daft question but if not how do you know which one is which..?...cheers

d1m1

Reaction score
Look great....are they marked neck and bridge..??..may be a daft question but if not how do you know which one is which..?...cheers

no they are not. the wire on the bridge pu is a bit shorter so you know it´s the bridge pu.

Bluefox

Reaction score
no they are not. the wire on the bridge pu is a bit shorter so you know it´s the bridge pu.

Or you do like Gibson used to do then, install them casually... Then if the one with the higher reading happen to get the neck slot, well, many Bursts came that way: the Keith Richards/Taylor Burst, the Page Burst, the last Duane Allman brown Burst (even if he switched them over), just to name some of the most famous...

d1m1

Reaction score
Or you do like Gibson used to do then, install them casually... Then if the one with the higher reading happen to get the neck slot, well, many Bursts came that way: the Keith Richards/Taylor Burst, the Page Burst, the last Duane Allman brown Burst (even if he switched them over), just to name some of the most famous...

yep. e.g. original paf´s suposed to be same on neck and bridge position. back then they didnt wound by windings, they wound by time...and time is relative as we know:D so each paf had different readings. sometimes the brigde was hotter, sometimes the neck. same as for 57 classics. they suposed to be as well same for bridge and neck.

ubw

Reaction score
the covers fit tight on the pickups so there is no need to solder them. no issues at all. so in the end i can remove them and put them on whenever i like with out the solder job. makes sence since they are beautiful w and w/o covers ;)

Too easy then, thanks for the comments.

I am trying to get in touch with Alex, I think I would like to be a proud owner of a pair of Wizz pups! :dude:

Latest Threads