NPD! Whole lotta humbuckers

DADGAD

Reaction score
He just fell in love with another set a little more. I live mine am they aren't going anywhere. They are not as rare as you think. They are the exact same pickup as the Duncan custom shop page model which can be easily order. MJ, the Duncan custom shop manager, confirmed. They are awesome.

Its Luke

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He just fell in love with another set a little more. I live mine am they aren't going anywhere. They are not as rare as you think. They are the exact same pickup as the Duncan custom shop page model which can be easily order. MJ, the Duncan custom shop manager, confirmed. They are awesome.

I emailed her a couple weeks back, and got a reply today.
-I wasn't aware of the WLH set, I just asked her about making me a set like Jimmy's #1's.

Was thinking of ordering, and was just looking for some reviews.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Jimmy's No.1 currently has a hot 1960 PAF approx. 8.2 k and a custom
Duncan. The Whole lotta humbuckers are
Likely the same as his red LP with the B bender. Hard to say for sure but Duncan did wind the neck to 8.2k which matches Pages neck output. It's basically a
Hot PAF set and sounds great. The middle position is awesome. Get a set.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Hotter neck pickups are the shit! I've been so into that lately.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i've had bad experiences with hot but muddy neck pups in the past.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
i've had bad experiences with hot but muddy neck pups in the past.

Mud is not good. I won't stand for it. It's taken me years to get to a point where I can produce a nice full thick, but still bright, open, and detailed PAF-style neck. No one trick, but a balance of many humbucker properties. Some where very surprising to me! I love leaning. That said, I keep my neck volume on 7-8 for most of my dirt work. I only take it from 8-10 for full synth woman tone type stuff. I really dig it on 1-3 also.

I just love switching over to a lower turn count wind, but with a hotter magnet, from a neck like that. If you ever find a pickup set that has a harsh sounding or overly bright bridge PU - try swapping them!

I'll say this about my strange findings along the way to a hot bright open neck PAF. As I've achieved the qualities I wanted in it, it was often through making adjustments that normally make a pickup warmer and not brighter. …but at the right combination. It's a wild turning point in sound and thought!

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
see, this is why i shout about your pickups so much man. Your neck pickups - at least the low output, which (currently) is the only one i'm qualified to speak about - is quite stunning. open, bright, but sharp and round all at once. crazy.

:applause:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
see, this is why i shout about your pickups so much man. Your neck pickups - at least the low output, which (currently) is the only one i'm qualified to speak about - is quite stunning. open, bright, but sharp and round all at once. crazy.

:applause:

Thanks, Aly.

Your new set is done sitting next to me, actually. I completed it last night. Just need to test, apply decals, and box for shipment. …or, and build the harness! That'll be good, as I'd like photos of a long shaft / Black Beauty harness on my website so it gave me a great opportunity. It'll be on the way tomorrow! :thumb:

pudgeums

Reaction score
I had mine installed and when the volume rolls off to about 7 they start to get muddy. I had my guitar tech put capacitors in as a treble bleed, but I all but can't roll off. My tech put pots in of his choice, but he is john Carruthers so I figure he knows what he is doing. We called Duncan and they seemed to think that this was about what to expect. I was thinking I could roll off and not lose all that treble so fast. From the posts here, someone wrote I that they roll off nicely I believe. If anyone here can confirm what I am experiencing is normal, or if I need to go back to the drawing board, I welcome your comments.

Batman

Reaction score
I had mine installed and when the volume rolls off to about 7 they start to get muddy. I had my guitar tech put capacitors in as a treble bleed, but I all but can't roll off. My tech put pots in of his choice, but he is john Carruthers so I figure he knows what he is doing. We called Duncan and they seemed to think that this was about what to expect. I was thinking I could roll off and not lose all that treble so fast. From the posts here, someone wrote I that they roll off nicely I believe. If anyone here can confirm what I am experiencing is normal, or if I need to go back to the drawing board, I welcome your comments.
Do you have 50's wiring?

Sounds like you need to lower the pickups and raise the pole pieces somewhat.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I had great results with no major height adjustments other than slanting the bass side down a bit. I would try this first before raising pole pieces. What amp are you playing through?

Karaz77

Reaction score
i got the SD SH-18 both pickups neck and bridge,the ones i had before where 2000 LP korean stock pickups,the neck pick up is much better even at high distortion levels,while the old neck pick up used to get too fatty this one still delivers nice tones,especially at the low strings

as for the bridge pickup,i think thats where the magic is,I'm not good with reviews but i think one word is enough to describe them,RUDE!!
it just has the attitude i love when you listen to 70's music,i can't wait to try it on a marshall amp really(mine now is a line 6 with only a BOSS turbo distortion 2 pedal)

all in all,i love the tone of both of them,also the mid position is great for stuff like custard pie or rock and roll,i might be wrong,but thats what i think.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I just changed my SH-18B WLH out for an early mid 80's Duncan 59. Very different animals. Karaz77's description pretty much sums up the WLH bridge. Rude. Also Raw and loose come to mind when I played mine. The Duncan 59 is a little more focused and tight, but I like that. My matched pair of Custom shop WLH is still one of my favorite sets out there. Does classic rock but a little on the far end of the scale towards hard rock. MJ just wound me a 8.0k neck and with the 59 gets a crazy variety of tones with the knobs. It's insane. The neck was loosely based on the WLH neck. I let her do her thing.

rockgod212

Reaction score
I just got a set of these for my 1960 classic les paul. question which is better for these 50's wiring or modern? is it worth taken the cover off the bridge pup?

DADGAD

Reaction score
I'd do 50's wiring but that's just me. To complete the look you can take the cover off the bridge but if it's aged you may want to keep it on. Totally your call.

rockgod212

Reaction score
yeah I think I will do 50's wiring with them, but I wonder if a push pull wiring harness would be worth the money. im not a big fan on split pups, but the aspect of phase and series combo's kinda has me hooked on thinking of getting one. any thoughts?

Latest Threads