NPD.....VTE Blues King

Mattyboy

Reaction score
The Blues King arrived earlier this week. It took me a few days to get dialed in, but it's good now.
As stated in an earlier post, I've gone through quite a few OD pedals in order find one that sounds good to me with my Strat. The BK might very well be the one. I'll give it a couple weeks before I say for sure.

Can't make my mind up whether I like the symm or asymm better. Both sound great, but last night, I played on the symmetrical switch with the volume at around 2:30, distortion dimed, and the treble at 10:00. Nice.

Nice and gritty, but not too thick. Kinda how I like my Cream of Wheat :D.

I was running it on a 9 volt adapter all week, until I decided to plug it in to 18volts right before I went to bed last night. Wow! That made a difference. Not a huge difference, but the sound was a bit more clear and crisp.

Fun pedal! VFE makes some solid stuff!

May have to check out The Scream next. :naughty:

kboman

Reaction score
HNPD!

If you act fast you can probably get a really good deal on The Scream: VFE will no longer sell through retailers, only their own website, so for example Prymaxe is selling out their stock at a 15-20% discount. VFE will return to retail next year according to the roadmap on the website.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
Thanks!
Yeah, I couldn't find the BK anyhwere, so had to order direct from VTE. Probably have to do the same thing with The Scream. It's all good though!

kboman

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked it up after posting and saw the same thing. Tubescreamers are popular! :)

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I own one and love it. It does take some tweaking, but I have a sound now that really works. I don't have the gain cranked actually and use it more for coloring solos. My set up right now has the Dist. knob turned full to the left (symmetrical) and the switch to the right in symmetrical mode also. My gain knob is at about 1:00 right now. I understand there is a dip switch inside too that adds some more compression. Haven't messed with that but could see how that might help.

I have also gone back and forth between 9v and 18v. Some have said that at 18v the pedal is more "amp like." Not sure about that. It's different. A bit more headroom maybe. It might be worth trying the dip switch if I was in 18v. The pick feel is a little...stiffer in 18v--at least for me. I use it at 9 v right now as that seems to be the best overall sound and feel with my rig as it is now.

StandingWave

Reaction score
Can't make my mind up whether I like the symm or asymm better. Both sound great, but last night, I played on the symmetrical switch with the volume at around 2:30, distortion dimed, and the treble at 10:00. Nice.

Nice and gritty, but not too thick. Kinda how I like my Cream of Wheat :D.

I was running it on a 9 volt adapter all week, until I decided to plug it in to 18volts right before I went to bed last night. Wow! That made a difference. Not a huge difference, but the sound was a bit more clear and crisp.
HNPD!

Are you diming the Drive or Dist? I assume Drive. If doing that, I prefer the internal trimmer set fully CCW -- I think the harmonics are most pleasing that way.

At 18V, the BK gains a little definition. IIRC, it loses a little touch sensitivity and a slight bit of drive. [I've been lazy and running mine a 9V lately. I'll set it back to 18V this afternoon.]

Note that the Dist knob controls hard clipping and sounds more like power tube drive. This can add significant compression (in a good way, if that's what you like). Dist is off at noon and has no real effect between ~10-00-2:00. You can add hard clipping to the soft clipping, or use is in Lift mode for a different character. [I like it fully CW/asymmetrical, lift mode, gain to taste -- but that's just one way that I've used the BK.]

You can get a little bit of drive out of the BK in Lift mode and Dist off (noon). This can add some sparkle if using the BK as a clean boost, even if not actually boosting.

Overall, the BK is quite a versatile, tasty low-gain drive. I hope you dig it. Mine has taken on different roles over the last year+, as other pedals have come and gone.

StandingWave

Reaction score
I understand there is a dip switch inside too that adds some more compression. Haven't messed with that but could see how that might help.
It's actually a trimmer, not a dip switch. While it is called a compression control, it controls the compression of the soft clipping circuit. I find adjustments relatively subtle, and that they have more of an effect on soft-clipping harmonics. The real compression control on this pedal is Dist (hard clipping).

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
HNPD. Good pedal. I like mine a lot, and it's probably the most versatile bluesbreaker type. I just don't have the patience to find the right setting for me... I'm a 3 knob set and forget guy. I've used also the Analog Man King Of Tone and a modified JHS Morning Glory and I like those too but right now I have no BB types on the board.

Latest Threads