NPD - MXR GT-OD custom shop pedal.

DrakeZero

Reaction score
Was looking for this pedal, but it came up on ebay at a very low price. MXR GT-OD Overdrive Pedal on eBay.ca (item 140540223758 end time 27-Apr-11 03:45:25 EDT)

I've been looking for another tube screamer/overdrive pedal to pair with my TS-9 so I can use one to drive and another as a solo boost like SRV or Eric Johnson. But with my limited income I wasn't about to spend $80-$90 bucks for another TS9.

After buying a MXR phase 90 and EVH flanger I figured what could it hurt to buy a Overdrive pedal from MXR as well? Well after playing with it and getting the settings down I am very happy with it.

Originally I was going to use the TS9 as my boost and the GT-OD as the driver of sound, but this little guy is very aggressive in sound and tone compared to the TS9 which is more smoother and has that mid range hump that some have mentioned. I would have to say the GT-OD is almost crossing into distortion pedal sound territory, but still it doesn't force it's own sound onto the amp but enhances what's in the amp like a normal Overdrive pedal. So now the TS9 is set in front of the GT-OD with a drive setting and I use the green monster for soloing or a modern hard rock sound. Either way for $70 CAD this was a pretty sweet deal. :thumb:

04renostar

Reaction score
I've got one too and love it. It's a great OD pedal thats very versitle. Have fun & congrats.

Leendrix

The Cheeky One
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've got the "Classic Overdrive" that has the same circuit as the GT-OD and ZW-OD and it's awesome! I'm glad you like it! I like it because it's what I wish a TS could be for me.

Happy NPD! :thumb:

DrakeZero

Reaction score
Well after playing around with it. Compared to the TS9, it's very aggressive in sound and more crunchy. I would say MXR was going after the TS 808 type sound as the TS9 is more mellower and suttee in comparison.

ny_byooboy

Reaction score
Hey Drake Zero, do you know about the secret switch which is inside the housing? You have to pull it completely apart to get to it. The tonal difference is noticeable.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Very nice! HNPD. I'm going to pick up the Classic Overdrive on Friday - which is pretty much the GT-OD circuit along with the ZW-OD circuit and you can switch back and forth.

Latest Threads