NPD: Manlius Hot Rod 59/Landmark PAF set

TonyAsh

Reaction score
After much back and forth with whether to swap out the stock VH-3 humbuckers in my Burny Les Paul Custom, and which ones to choose if I did decide to swap, I ended up with a Hot Rod 59 bridge and a Landmark PAF neck from Manlius. Mick was super helpful and patient with my numerous questions and flip flopping, as I was unsure if I wanted to go with hot PAF-style in the bridge or try his 70's Super D. So far I'm really happy with the Hot Rod. I already have a Landmark/Fat Diane set in another guitar so I knew what to expect with the neck pickup. The HR59 seems a little more in your face that the Fat Diane, maybe a little bolder and not quite as spongy. I did order a 70's Super D as well, figured I'll swap it in just to compare to the HR59. And if I prefer the HR in this guitar, the Super D will go into the bridge of my Greco Les Paul.

I ordered these with satin nickel covers, which I actually think looks just fine with the other gold hardware. Figure the gold will eventually fade or flake off anyway.

Also, if anyone wants some sweet VH-3 pickups with gold covers, please check out my post in the classifieds thread in the Other Single Cuts forum. I have no need for them as these Manlius ones are staying.

BigJim

Reaction score
Hmmmm...

Timely, as I am working a swap deal for a HR59 bridge pickup. Looking for a little more heat, but nothing crazy, this seems to fit...

TonyAsh

Reaction score
Yeah they're still very much in PAF territory, but with the perfect amount of extra push compared to the Landmark or the Fat Diane. Truth be told, and this is no slag to the HR59, but I might prefer the Fat Diane ever so slightly, which is still a little hot but seems to have better string separation and maybe a touch more in the way of mids. It's a really special pickup. But the whole point was to change it up a little with this Burny rather than put the exact same pickups in it as my Gibson.

Last edited:

Latest Threads