NPD King of Tone. Anyone having problems with volume?

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I got mine yesterday. (I had another one a while back but I sold it to a friend) It is the higher gain both sides option. Anyways, when I have my amp at bedroom volume level I can't get much volume using this pedal. If the volume is at 12 o clock, it cuts my volume in half. If I turn the volume all the way up, it equals my current clean tone volume. If I turn the amp up louder it improves the amount the pedal will boost the volume but not by very much. Anyone else experience this? Also, I can't get the pedal to clean up because I have to crank up the drive and tone knobs to get volume...turning those down makes it too quiet.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
I don't have the high gain option, but it should still have more output than you're describing. Have you tried different cables? Might as rule that out.

ARandall

Reaction score
How is this being powered?? I would also check if you are getting the V and A needed.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I have tried different cables. When i first tried it i put it in the middle of a pedal chain...when I had problems I isolated it by only using it, the guitar, and the amp. I have tried the one-spot daisy chain as well as the 9 v battery. same results. I have tried all of the DIP settings and the treble pots on the inside. same results...I will say that most of my attempts have been with a humbucker guitar. When I use a single coil guitar it is not as bad...it may even be pretty normal....I just can't clean it up with the knobs because it becomes too quiet.

JMV

Reaction score
What did Analogman say?

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I haven't contacted them yet but I will write up an email today with the details of my problem.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
If you have high gain on both sides, clean up might be an issue..

Mike will make it right.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
If you have high gain on both sides, clean up might be an issue..

Mike will make it right.

The biggest problem I have is that when I plug in my Les Paul and stomp the box, it lowers my volume at any setting except for full volume, full gain, and full tone....and even then it is just barely louder.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Yea, that's odd. Check in with Mike, he's very responsive. Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

vegetablejoe

Reaction score
Unity volume level is usually at about 2 o'clock ime... I usually set my knobs at 3 o'clock

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya....odd. My unity varies by amp but is never more than half. Call Mike.

Latest Threads