NPD Jim Wagner/WCR Godwood set. Holy crap.

logen99999

Reaction score
Hey folks, i figured i'd share my impression of the Jim Wagner built Godwood set.

I stumbled upon the WCR/JWP/Jim Wagner brand from watching The Doug and Pat Show on youtube. Doug said that his Heritage H150 never sounded that good until he put in a set of Jim Wagner Crossroads. Doug and Pat own two original 50s les pauls with PAFs and they do tons of videos. When Doug said the Crossroad pickups made his guitar sound great I put a lot of faith in him. I'm sure he knows good tone when he hears it.

I did some research and decided on the Godwood set. The description was fatter hotter PAF tone. These would go into my decent sounding Gibson R0. This R0 sounded pretty crappy with the stock burstbuckers, and sounded good with Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

I dropped the $350+ for the Godwoods and had them arrive today. I put them in and played them through a Marshall Vintage Modern, Fender super reverb, and my Vox night train.

They sound tremendous. I was shocked! The description is spot on. These are FAT, punchy, juicy, and extremely responsive PAF type pups. These are not polite pickups when you're strumming hard. But when you roll the volume back, or strum softy, they clean up amazingly. They are louder then the BBs and Ants too. They are more responsive and dynamic. And I was playing better and doing more complex licks with these because now more subtleties were coming through. It felt like going from regular fidelity to high fidelity. I know i'm raving about these a lot but they really did provide an objectively staggering improvement in tone and responsiveness.

When strumming big open chords the tone blooms and every string rings through clearly. They dont have any muddy frequencies anywhere and sound absolutely amazing with some overdrive. You get a big fat solid wall of tone when doing big chords that jumps right off your hands and out of your speakers. Very very responsive!

There's no way these are leaving this les paul. 5 minutes into playing these I was so enamored I was thinking about buying another set from Jim for my les paul custom.

I cant wait to play these out live.

are they worth the steep price? I'm not rich by any means, but I say absolutely. Without a doubt they turned a mediocre guitar into a BEAST.

afranke

Reaction score
:thumb:wcr's are great. I have a godwood bridge and crossroads neck.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I have a set of WCR Crossroads neck and Darkburst bridge in the '57 Goldtop and they sound really good. Jim winds great pickups. :thumb:

dmoss74

Reaction score
nothing like finding a perfect match for your ears. congrats! :)

rclausen

Reaction score
Jim does wind some great pickups. I had a set of Fillmore's that were awesome.

CoyotesGator

Reaction score
I have a set of Fillmores in my R8.

I can't imagine ever removing them.

They are the perfect match for that guitar.

chunktone

Reaction score
Hey folks, i figured i'd share my impression of the Jim Wagner built Godwood set.

I stumbled upon the WCR/JWP/Jim Wagner brand from watching The Doug and Pat Show on youtube. Doug said that his Heritage H150 never sounded that good until he put in a set of Jim Wagner Crossroads. Doug and Pat own two original 50s les pauls with PAFs and they do tons of videos. When Doug said the Crossroad pickups made his guitar sound great I put a lot of faith in him. I'm sure he knows good tone when he hears it.

I did some research and decided on the Godwood set. The description was fatter hotter PAF tone. These would go into my decent sounding Gibson R0. This R0 sounded pretty crappy with the stock burstbuckers, and sounded good with Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

I dropped the $350+ for the Godwoods and had them arrive today. I put them in and played them through a Marshall Vintage Modern, Fender super reverb, and my Vox night train.

They sound tremendous. I was shocked! The description is spot on. These are FAT, punchy, juicy, and extremely responsive PAF type pups. These are not polite pickups when you're strumming hard. But when you roll the volume back, or strum softy, they clean up amazingly. They are louder then the BBs and Ants too. They are more responsive and dynamic. And I was playing better and doing more complex licks with these because now more subtleties were coming through. It felt like going from regular fidelity to high fidelity. I know i'm raving about these a lot but they really did provide an objectively staggering improvement in tone and responsiveness.

When strumming big open chords the tone blooms and every string rings through clearly. They dont have any muddy frequencies anywhere and sound absolutely amazing with some overdrive. You get a big fat solid wall of tone when doing big chords that jumps right off your hands and out of your speakers. Very very responsive!

There's no way these are leaving this les paul. 5 minutes into playing these I was so enamored I was thinking about buying another set from Jim for my les paul custom.

I cant wait to play these out live.

are they worth the steep price? I'm not rich by any means, but I say absolutely. Without a doubt they turned a mediocre guitar into a BEAST.

Anyone compared these to the WCR Icebuckers? I got a set of Icebuckers used 'cause they were too cheap to pass on, and always wondered how they compare.

TM1

Reaction score
Jim makes great pickups! I've used a number of them over the years. Nice guy as well and really enjoys making pickups!

Shortscale

Reaction score
I've got crossroads set in an SG :thumb: Fillmore set in my 78 25/50 LP:thumb:
Sold a set of Darkburst (regrets) :noway: and have Godwoods in my Goldtop. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Godwoods are definitely my island pups.

Jim is a great guy, superb products and customer servive second to none.

bluefrog

Reaction score
I have the set Goodwood B and Crossroads N in my R9 2004
sounds like heaven...

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I had them and sold 'em.
I wasn't that impressed.
IMO ReWind are better.

logen99999

Reaction score
I had them and sold 'em.
I wasn't that impressed.
IMO ReWind are better.

Interesting. I had a rewind JPpost72 in this guitar that wasn't as nice sounding as the godwoods.

Just goes to show you that not all pickups work for every guitar. There's people that swear by burstbuckers and to me they were terrible.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Interesting. I had a rewind JPpost72 in this guitar that wasn't as nice sounding as the godwoods.

Just goes to show you that not all pickups work for every guitar. There's people that swear by burstbuckers and to me they were terrible.

That is so true. I have pickups that when put in one guitar were unimpressive but I tried them in another guitar and they were great.

Latest Threads