NPD... Hot Lanta from Missing Link Audio

sLowBrian

Reaction score
Happy New Pedal Day to me for yesterday.... took delivery of the Hot Lanta pedal from Missing Link Audio.

All my life I have lusted after the tone that Duane Allman used.... that howling wail that was soooo good!! But I've never came close, mostly because I am less than useless at setting amps to get a sound. I just don't know how. And as much as I've tried, I've never learned. And I know I ain't gonna sound like Duane, (no-one can right??) and that's not what I'm hoping for anyway, just that wild tone!

So this pedal was advertised as "Fillmore East in a box".... I watched a few reviews on You Tube and was smitten.... I had to have it!

It arrived yesterday, I plugged it in to my Hot Rod Deluxe immediately, and with minimal fiddling with knobs, got a sound I'm already happy with! I played through it for nearly two hours before I succumbed to aching back and gave it up for the day. I've played though it again for a couple hours today, again succumbing to old age aches and pains, and I'm really happy with it.

Hot Lanta resized.JPG

When I ordered it, the web site advised a 4 - 6 week delay from order to shipment, which I accepted. The actual shipping time though was 11 weeks, but each email I sent them inquiring the whereabouts of my pedal was responded to very quickly, with polite explanations about their work load. I was satisfied with the whole process, frustrating though it was waiting for this item. But on the whole, I would not hesitate to buy other products from them in the future. Maybe I can win the lottery and buy one of their amps!!

Cheers

Brian

sLowBrian

Reaction score
Looks cool! I am curious as to how it sounds different from the Peacock. My guess is that it is...hotter?
I really can’t say, I’ve only heard the Peacock on You Tube videos and I hadn’t seen a comparison video of the two. I was torn between ordering a Peacock, Hot Lanta or the Statesboro Blues pedal. I settled for the ‘Lanta because of some videos I watched on the Missing Link Audio site. I just loved the tone.

What I can say is that with the Hot Rod set on clean tones and reasonably quiet, (I use a homemade “master” volume to curb the HRD’s horrendous volume issues) kick the ‘Lanta on and there’s a significant increase in drive and gain, but not outlandish at all and relatively easy to control. Kicking the boost button does exactly what it says… boosts the sound again significantly but not uncontrollably.

To my ears, this effect reminds me of the TS9 Tubescreamer that I bought in 1982, but with more boost and clarity in the tone. (I still have it but it needs work to clean it up and I don’t think it plays well with more modern pedals.)

I will likely post a video in the coming weeks to demo it.

Latest Threads