NPD - Fulltone Plimsoul

GrouchyDog

Reaction score
Picked up a Fulltone Plimsoul on Saturday, been wanting to check it out for quite a while. Keeping in mind that I'm still in the honeymoon phase, here we go... :)

Some context - a mainstay of my sound is my v4 OCD, supplemented by an Analog-Manned TS9. I haven't really been able to get the the TS9 joy flowing - it strangles the low end and doesn't have as much gain as I want. I've mostly been using it as a boost for the OCD. So I've been wanting a smoother OD that's less mid-humpy than the TS9. I've worked with the Plimsoul with a Les Paul (SD PG and 59 pickups) into my Dr Z Maz 18 Junior NR.

I must say that the Plimsoul appears to deliver what I want. There are 2 "stages" of drive - 1 and 2. Stage 1 is a nice and smooth OD, very musical without the crispety-crunchety OCD sizzle. Stage 2 blends in some of that crunch and can move into some really hot tone. Stage 2, contrary to what I'd expected, is NOT a separate "channel" - I'd expected to be able to zero Stage 1 and turn up Stage 2 for a crunchy sound. Not how it works - Stage 2 blends in the crunch kind of according to how high Stage 1 is set.

Overall response is very nice - very, very harmonically rich, fifths on the low strings bring out that low harmonic that can (depending on settings and pickups) almost sound like a low B string playing along. String-to-string separation is amazing - it's almost like there's a faint clean channel under there, where I can pick out what each string is doing. Really cool, this is a complex and versatile pedal. Touch-sensitivity is fantastic, esp. at mid-level gain settings; picking technique can clean it up almost sparkly, better than about about any OD/dist I've tried. I like this, it's necessary for what I do (church playing, contemporary worship). The midrange is prominent, but not as prominent as a Tube Screamer; I'm happy with it since I don't really care for the TS's EQ curve.

So the most common question seems to be how the Plimsoul compares to the OCD. Well, I think they'll both stay on my board. The OCD has a much flatter EQ curve and has a much more modern sound than the Plimsoul. Played back-to-back, the OCD sounds somewhat scooped. The PS's distortion is smoother until you blend in Stage 2, this is what will make this such a versatile pedal. It can approximage the OCD, but not clone it - the EQ curves are too different. The OCD will not get as close to the Plimsoul as the Plimsoul will get to the OCD by using Stage 2, if that makes sense. The Plimsoul has noticably more gain on tap, but not as much more as I'd expected. I think I can get to a place where I'll use the Plimsoul as a nice, smooth OD set fairly high, the OCD as a low/mid-gain boost :shock: and possibly stacking them or using a clean boost for solos or higher-gain needs.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I just ordered a Plimsoul last night! You know how I've been wanting one so I splurged and bought a Plimsoul and a Keeley compressor!!!! Watch out for my review thread and video demo. I hope it gets here sometime mid-week. It's coming from New Jersey all the way to Illinois. As long as it's here in time for my October 1st huge annual festival gig - I'm cool. :D

HNPD!

GrouchyDog

Reaction score
Excellent! I think you'll like it, it's got enough TS midrange to keep you interested :laugh2:, but a whole lot more to it. You're much more the OD expert than me; looking forward to hearing how your first impression compares to mine!

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Excellent! I think you'll like it, it's got enough TS midrange to keep you interested :laugh2:, but a whole lot more to it. You're much more the OD expert than me; looking forward to hearing how your first impression compares to mine!
:laugh2: I love my mid hump! I love the idea of getting a sound in between a Tubescreamer (soft clipping) and a OCD (hard clipping) and the blend is the main attraction for me.

I think now I'm going to be tempted to get a Fulldrive. Then I'll have the main 3 Fulltone drive boxes. :laugh2: I'm not a fan of the Catalyst or the GT500. Just not my thang. But the Fulldrive, Plimsoul, and OCD certainly are. I've tried a Fulldrive and love it.

I'm also looking forward to my Keeley comp. I miss having a compressor. My Dyna Comp was too noisy so I traded it for my '78 Badass. But I need a compressor as I tend to play country type stuff along with classic rock stuff that needs sustain. But I might even use the Keeley for a lead boost along with a TS. The Keeley is supposedly the Dyna Comp/ROSS with less noise and a touch more transparency. It's also warm like the Dyna and ROSS which is nice because my amps are on the bright side. I would have got the Wampler compressor but it's too bright. Another good warm comp that is the most transparent I've found is the Demeter Compulator. But I need a touch more squash than that.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
Very nice review Dog! Thanks for posting it.

The pedal sounds very nice and extremely flexible, in all the demos I have watched. And the basic idea behind it (the hard-clipping circuit blending into the soft-clipping one) is very interesting and I see it copied by others in the future. Well done!:thumb:

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
Yeah the blend is what makes this pedal so appealing to me.... To get an in-between sound.... Something in between a Fulldrive (Tubescreamer) and an OCD (Distortion) is appealing to me.

My pedals just shipped today and are in New Jersey but it's expedited 3 day shipping so I should have them by Friday and I will write up a review on Saturday and post it and videos on Sunday more than likely. I'll post the Plimsoul review and video first since there are people interested in that. Then I'll post the Keeley Compressor review. May wait a bit to do a Keeley compressor video - we'll see. I might be jamming with some friends this weekend.

GrouchyDog

Reaction score
Update time... Got to spend a little Strat time with the Plimsoul, and I'm still very impressed with it. I've had a really hard time finding a good OD/dist that I like with my passive Strat (CS '54 pickups; the other has EMG SA's and isn't nearly as finicky) - they seem to either take away the "Stratiness" of the pickups or sound harsh to my ears. The PS is a good balance of full, smooth mids & highs while letting the Strat sound like a Strat should. My main amp (Dr Z Maz 18) is one of the best Strat amps that I've heard, so I can't wait to get somewhere where I can put a little volume to it, should be amazing!

Latest Threads