NPD Dry-Z

El Kabong

Reaction score
Been after a set of these for awhile... now I just gotta figure out where to put 'em... :hmm:

Might want to cover them at some point as well... anyone know what size covers fit these bad boys? :bowdown

polifemo

Reaction score
Just trow them into one of your guitars as quick as possible!

I'd like to know how these legendary pickups compare to the "Paf" offerings of todays winders (OX4/Wizz/Rewind/Electric City etc).

LtKojak

Reaction score
Why these p'ups are so highly regarded has always been beyond my comprehension, just like the OTPGs and the Holmes. They did their job ok; only IMO they just didn't bring anything so special to the table to justify their asking prices in my book, at least.

I guess the excerpt of Tom Zart's poem "Garage Sale" is well-applied in this case:
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" or Rome's very first emperor words, Gaius Iulius Caesar, "De gustibus non disputandum est".

HTH,

El Kabong

Reaction score
I've never tried a set of OTPGs... I was looking for a set for awhile but the prices are almost as ridiculous as K&Ts. I played a Crews Maniac with K&Ts installed, but they are a special set made exclusively for Crews. Still, they sounded really rich and fat and ultra melodic.

Might not get around to installing these til tomorrow afternoon... I want to A/B them properly and I can't give them the time they deserve tonight... gotta leave early tomorrow morning for a gig and I've got tubes to install, multiple sets of stings to change and a pedal board to sort... :dunno:

polifemo

Reaction score
Why these p'ups are so highly regarded has always been beyond my comprehension, just like the OTPGs and the Holmes. They did their job ok; only IMO they just didn't bring anything so special to the table to justify their asking prices in my book, at least.
This is what I suspect myself and I'm just being curious to get a comparison :thumb:

wulfman

ABB Fan
Reaction score
I was playing my set today and they sure float my boat. I like the Seth Lover set I have too but the Dry-Z have a particular sound that is unique.

I think they are considered the first great Japanese PAF replica and are not made anymore so the prices reflect that. A pair of DRY82 pickups is less than half the price and is pretty close in sound.

Regular 10 mm polepiece spaced covers should fit ok.

tonybony

Reaction score
Congratulations on finding some. :thumb: I spent a couple of years hunting for some. I just put a regular spaced cover on mine (DMC) and it fit fine. These command high dollar because they sound great and they are rare. I'm pretty sure that they were initially wound with vintage enamel wire, which I suppose would add to their desirability. :dunno:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Surprised the OP didn't have a set already given his location :)

kboman

Reaction score
I think the main reason for the prices these are going for is rarity, they were only made for a couple of years for Greco's short lived Super Real premium line. Add to that the fact that they apparently have a very specific sound that many seek and value highly and you have some pretty silly prices as a result. I would love to try a set myself but they are very rare birds where I live...

Edit: Oh and HNPUD!

El Kabong

Reaction score
Surprised the OP didn't have a set already given his location :)
They are pretty rare out here as well and it wasn't till I played that Crews last month and had a good listen to the K&Ts (made by the same guy who made the Zs) in it that I developed an interest.

Think I'll try to pop em in tonight... been wanting to ditch these Thobaks for awhile, now's my chance... :cool:

El Kabong

Reaction score
Oh hell yeah!!! :thumbs:

These babies articulate up the wazoo!!! Bright and punchy yet give them some gain and its instant classic rock territory. Headroom to spare and did I mention the articulation?

I can understand the soughtafteredness of these puppies and do believe I want more... :naughty:

And don't let the appearance of this '11 Studio fool you... the innards are sporting a MSS Holy Grail... and of course... its now top wrapped! Been wanting to do that for awhile... :thumb:

polifemo

Reaction score
Nice!

Do you find them very different from your other "good" pickups?

fretboarder

Reaction score

I guess the excerpt of Tom Zart's poem "Garage Sale" is well-applied in this case:
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" or Rome's very first emperor words, Gaius Iulius Caesar, "De gustibus non disputandum est".

HTH,
how many OTPG set's have you owned Lt?? or played??

El Kabong

Reaction score
Nice!

Do you find them very different from your other "good" pickups?
They each have their own "flavor". These are definitely distinct!

How were the K&T's by comparison?
Cleaner! :naughty:

I was at a crowded expo when I sampled the K&Ts so I couldn't really get down and dirty with them but I'd say they were on a pretty even par. Both were very bright, articulate and oozed PAF. The Crews was much more resonant than the Studio... so its kind of hard to compare. Wouldn't mind getting one of those Maniacs though... :naughty:

DADGAD

Reaction score
how many OTPG set's have you owned Lt?? or played??
Well I think a simpler point would be why not be happy for someone who found something that brings them joy and happiness? It's like not agreeing with the choice of person someone marries.

fretboarder

Reaction score
Well I think a simpler point would be why not be happy for someone who found something that brings them joy and happiness? It's like not agreeing with the choice of person someone marries.
ive never ate unicorn s**** so I couldn't tell you how it tastes.. no offence to you :thumb:

Latest Threads