NPD: D*A*M MK-II fuzz

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Snagged this beautiful monster through a stroke of luck last week. I was surfing Reverb while in the waiting room for my first vax shot when it was posted, and I knew it would be gone in no time (these are rare). I made an offer, but wasn't surprised when I didn't hear back and the listing disappeared by the time I got home.

That night I was sitting on the couch with my wife suffering through a bad movie when a message popped up on my phone: The original buyer had backed out, and the seller would accept my offer if it still stood. Score!

GREAT fuzz, with OC82DM transistors so it can get plenty nasty but still cleans up really well with volume knob roll-off. Since he entered into a build agreement with Macari's to make their Sola Sound pedals, David Main can apparently only sell his own builds in Asia. This one was made for that market in 2013. The quote inside is from Aleister Crowley, which is especially cool since the MK-II Tone Bender is THE Jimmy Page pedal.

I'm psyched! Also, I need to stop buying gear for a while and enjoy what I have...

20210419_074220.jpg

Screenshot_20210419-075227_Reverb.jpg

pmonk

Reaction score
How are these compared to the Sola Sound D*A*M Tone Bender Professional MK-II fuzz pedal (the one you sold back in 2018?)

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How are these compared to the Sola Sound D*A*M Tone Bender Professional MK-II fuzz pedal (the one you sold back in 2018?)
Wow, good memory.

One of the biggest differences (literally) is the size of the case. The Sola Sound pedals are massive, just like the originals.

The pedal I sold a few years ago had OC75 transistors, so it had a more raw, in-your-face sound. It certainly sounded badass, but the trade-off was that it was harder to dial back. By rolling back the attack on this one I can get this nice sort of soft buzz (I've heard Ant Macari liken it to a bumblebee skimming along the ground).

Last edited:

pmonk

Reaction score
Wow, good memory.

One of the biggest differences (literally) is the size of the case. The Sola Sound pedals are massive, just like the originals.

The pedal I sold a few years ago also had OC75 transistors, so it had a more raw, in-your-face sound. It certainly sounded badass, but the trade-off was that it was harder to dial back. By rolling back the attack on this one I can get this nice sort of soft buzz (I've heard Ant Macari liken it to a bumblebee skimming along the ground).
I have a Sola Sound D*A*M Tone Bender Professional MK-II and its one of those pedals I will never give away.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a Sola Sound D*A*M Tone Bender Professional MK-II and its one of those pedals I will never give away.
They are fantastic pedals. Yours is the same circuit as mine, built by the same company, just with a larger, vintage-correct case and possibly different transistors. I think it's the best fuzz pedal money can buy.

pmonk

Reaction score
Definitely a different transistors. They now have waiting lists that almost rival the KOT (another pedal that I would never sell)

The thing is pretty big for a pedal and built like a tank

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Definitely a different transistors. They now have waiting lists that almost rival the KOT (another pedal that I would never sell)

The thing is pretty big for a pedal and built like a tank
I've been on the wait list for a KOT for three years. Worth the wait, huh?

pmonk

Reaction score
I've been on the wait list for a KOT for three years. Worth the wait, huh?

Its a great pedal, as long as it is going into a great amp with great speakers.

A good Les Paul is also helpful (I think it responds much better with humbuckers)

AcVox

Reaction score
Sadly I don't have a D*A*M fuzz but I am the proud owner of the D*A*M Red Rooster treble booster serial # 25. It was their first year in business and I bought it for just £90 pounds.. ( those were the days..)

I fell totally in love with this incredible pedal, and the unique way it interacts with my AC30, my Tweed Deluxe and my Marshall 50 watt bass head, not to mention dirt pedals of all types.

I set about buying more, but after so many have come and gone I have just three other makes in my collection, the Red Rooster remains the pedal I would be lost without. The finest Germanium treble booster on earth... Perhaps ?....

Last edited:

JMP

Reaction score
My goodness, you constantly get the funkin coolest gear! Good on you and thanks for letting us live vicariously through your purchases.
Post up some audio sometime.

Latest Threads