NPD: Catalinbread RAH. Pretty Blown Away.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I went in looking for a Sabbra Cadabra but found a used, complete-in-box RAH for $100 off retail. It was a no brainer.

I'm plugging it right into my interface and into Amplitube. I've experimented with clean Fenders like Catalinbread advises but I've found the best results by far (perhaps not surprisingly) with Amplitube's HiWatt sim. I've got the amp set for edge of breakup on the Normal channel, everything basically at noon, and I'm going into a generic Marshall 4x12 IR.

With my Les Paul, loaded with Duncan WLHs, I'm finding it very easy to cop that era's tones. It almost feels like cheating. The responsiveness to dynamics is fucking incredible, it cleans up beautifully. It maintains a clean character as I roll up my guitar's volume knobs, up until around 7 at which point it starts to get fat and pretty rude. Going into my meager digital setup I'm able to hit the bullseye, but into my 2203 I found it got a bit too thick and muddy on the low strings.

As great as it sounds for riffing, lead play is where it's at. This thing just has an amazing sweet tone that makes it hard to resist noodling around, exploring the dynamics and sizzle. And when I pop my neck pickup out of phase, holy fuck does it sizzle (out of phase also makes it a lot easier to hit Page's later 70s tones).

Supremely impressed overall. A great contrast in tone to my 2203 and a really easy way to get a cool, period-specific sound.

monty john

Reaction score
I like Catlinbread...had a Topanga reverb and wish I still had it...funny how some overdrives work well with some amps and not with others....

Reactions: Who

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I was so impressed with the RAH that I went back the next day and got the Sabbra Cadabra.

Everything I said about the RAH is true of the Sabbra, and then some. The controls are very intuitive, they make it easy to finetune the sound with the exact amount of thickness and bite you need. Rolling the Range control up and down lets you control just how thickness is hitting the pedal's preamp, and in doing so makes it possible to nail the variations in Iommi's tone over the years - for Technical Ecstasy onward, roll the Range back.

Again, it's just too easy and it feels like cheating.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I've owned a Catalinbread RAH for few years now, and I couldn't be happier!
I've used it both live and for studio work, I recorded a whole album using just that, admittedly a very "certain aircraft/70's Rock"-influenced album but I've also used it in a variety of other genres, including Funk, Country & Western and Pop, and it always delivers, big time.
Here below is a picture of one of my favourite combos, the RAH with a '58 Reissue Les Paul fitted with OX4 Page pickups (Marshall amp not pictured but easy to visualise...!)

48DE8B3E-B168-4B92-82B3-F0A0961ED441.jpeg

lespauled

Reaction score
I found Catalinbread to has some great pedals, and some clunkers. The Sabbra is an amazing pedal. As a huge Blackmore fan, I preordered the Blackmore set, Skewer and Dreamcoat. I just can't seem to dial anything in with the Dreamcoat. Everything turns to fuzz......and I'm not a fan of fuzz. I've tried almost every setting imaginable, including almost off, and just can't get into it. The Skewer is a great pedal. Having a treble boost pedal that allows you to dial in as much low end as you like is a great feature. I might just have to give the RAH a chance. Videos sound pretty good.

James R

Reaction score
I sold my RAH years ago, but I did enjoy it when I had it.
Once I got an Exotic BB I sort of stopped using the RAH as much.
The BB is still favorite dirt pedal all these years later.

Latest Threads