NPD - Bad Monkey and a question about buffered pedal placement

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I've been wanting a Tube Screamer clone, and the Bad Monkey was one at the top of the list. Missed out on a well used one and never saw one again locally until today. Picked up a basically new one for 40 bucks. Looks almost like it was never used. The rubber on the pad and back has nary a scuff. Even has the box and all the "case candy." :p

About to try it. All my pedals are true bypass, so being buffered, I was wondering where in the pedal chain to put it. Dan from That Pedal Show said to put a buffer after a fuzz, and I assume a buffer before all the pedals would restore some loss of highs and clarity from 20+ feet of cable? Also, where do most people put a tube screamer style pedal? Before or after other overdrive pedals?

Thanks for your advise and wisdom.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the Tube Screamer but I put my overdrive (Boss SD-1) before my "over overdrive" or fuzz whatever.
Question is, you want to fuzz the overdrive or overdrive the fuzz?
Myself I go from leaner to fatter.

Then it's sound "color" and then echo / delay.

But whatever suits you and your ears, really.

scooter500

Reaction score
I think That Pedal Show is talking about the Dallas Fuzz Faces, that those are really sensitive to a pedal before them.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I do not equate "true buy pass" with " buffered"
A buffer goes after a fuzz because a fuzz is germanium based.
So it firstly depends on which pedals you have on your board.
BP

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
My fuzz is a Joyo "Big Muff" clone. Definitely not germanium based. I always thought it was a bit harsh, so after Dan said that I removed my Boss wah from in front of it and it did change it for the better. Not as piercing.

I put the Bad Monkey after the fuzz, but before the other overdrives. All the other overdrives got brighter and had to have tone adjusted down. Love the new pedal, especially through the gain channel with the pedal's level cranked and gain at 10 o'clock. An ingredient I've been missing. Tightens things up and really gets that 80s guitar sound that I could never quite nail.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Joyo Fuzz box which you say is a Big Muff clone. I can't find it on any lists of clones. What's it called? I already have a few Joyo pedals, some good, some bad lol.
Transistors using Germanium are the standard for Fuzz boxes. For the low end of the market Silicone transistors will be used.

Victek

Reaction score
I've been wanting a Tube Screamer clone, and the Bad Monkey was one at the top of the list. Picked up a basically new one for 40 bucks.
I've had one for a long time and it remains one of my favorite ODs. The high and low tone controls add a lot of functionality and it has plenty of gain for my taste. The case and switch are really solid too. You can't beat it at that price point IMHO :yesway:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Joyo Fuzz box which you say is a Big Muff clone. I can't find it on any lists of clones. What's it called? I already have a few Joyo pedals, some good, some bad lol.
Transistors using Germanium are the standard for Fuzz boxes. For the low end of the market Silicone transistors will be used.
Mine is the Joyo Voodoo Octave. Includes an octave as well, though it only can be used within the pedal, and I never use it. As far as germanium being used, I just assume that it isn't because it's an inexpensive pedal.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Mine is the Joyo Voodoo Octave. Includes an octave as well, though it only can be used within the pedal, and I never use it. As far as germanium being used, I just assume that it isn't because it's an inexpensive pedal.
OK thanks. Yes the Joyo Voodoo Octave was the only pedal I found on the list and didn't relate it to a fuzz.
BP

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Back in my pedal days the Monkey was always around. Liked it better than a TS and certainly was less $ without the hype.

Still in great shape and currently in a milk crate with other gear.

Like Peavey Bandits and other working man's gear it gets a HOF vote from me.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Trying the Bad Monkey after all my overdrive pedals. The BM buffer just made them too bright, and I couldn't dial back the same fullness they used to have, even with the tone all the way down.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Trying the Bad Monkey after all my overdrive pedals. The BM buffer just made them too bright, and I couldn't dial back the same fullness they used to have, even with the tone all the way down.

I didn't see any info about the BM being a buffered pedal?
Are you certain it is a buffered pedal.?
BP

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thanks very much Vic. Found more info such as....."The bypass is not a True bypass as in many new EHX effx or boutique market. It is like a boss fet switching with a buffer. The buffer is on when it is bypassed"

So in relation to the OP buffers are usually placed at the beginning of a chain. As you have learned some pedals will not get a long with a buffer after them.
Also as previously mentioned if you have an fx loop try it in there.
BP

jerry47

Premium Member
Reaction score
Another pedal that i think is excellent sorta tube screamer type is a plimsoul by fultone, Last time i looked they were super cheap "Used one" Great overdrive.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
One thing to consider getting is a pedal switcher like a loop master. They are true bypass switchers that remove the off pedals from the chain completely.
They are a great way to use pedals that dont get along with others like a buffered pedal or a germanium fuzz.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
One thing to consider getting is a pedal switcher like a loop master. They are true bypass switchers that remove the off pedals from the chain completely.
They are a great way to use pedals that dont get along with others like a buffered pedal or a germanium fuzz.
Hey! That's my expected line! Seriously though, I highly recommend one. It's made my use of pedals while singing and playing much less demanding.
As for buffers, I have found they do matter, if you choose to use pedals and a couple of long cables. I recently switched my buffer placement. I used to use the buffered input on my Radial amp switcher, but recently turned on the buffer in my Soul Food pedal. I have this placed at the very end of my board and use it for boost and OD. But having a buffer in the middle of my cable chain is much better than at the end of it.

Latest Threads