(Now NGD) Thoughts on this Les Paul Classic? Very unusual top.

Peter M

Reaction score
Wow... there's a crazy party happening on that top! Certainly unique, enjoy.

55special

Reaction score
Beautiful top and the fretboard is sick!
Thank you! It is getting conditioned as we speak! It was definitely very dry. The board is what put me over the top. It's unusually exotic looking.

I'll have to post some pics in a week or so once the guitar gets the whole makeover (pickup covers, tuners, knobs etc.) I'm pretty sure I'm only going to do one pickup cover over the neck position.
IMG_9036.jpg

brianbzed

Reaction score
I haven't been interested in a Les Paul in a very long time but this Les Paul Classic caught my eye. Never seen a top like this. And certainly not on a Classic. It's bird's eye on the bottom half and kind of this broken glass flame on the top. I'm not crazy about all the push/pull stuff or I'd probably jump on this. Ok.. let's be honest. If it weren't for the money, I'd jump on this haha.

View attachment 636616
Stunning! That top KILLS!!!!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am so glad that you picked up that guitar, so sweet. You're a very lucky individual, never get rid of that guitar, I love a sweet classic. Like my own and now yours.

Tollie

Reaction score
With that top and that rosewood board it would have to be an awful player for me to consider parting with it, that thing is SWEET!
Need I say more? My thoughts exactly. Killer wood. Swap out the electronics and it is a keeper.

55special

Reaction score
Need I say more? My thoughts exactly. Killer wood. Swap out the electronics and it is a keeper.
Thanks! I agree. Just going to take my time with the electronics because there are so many options. I don't care for the split coils but I do like the out of phase option. I may have to order a custom 50's harness that can do that. These pickups sounded better than I expected but I know some boutique PAF's would be a big step up.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Adjust the height a bit here and there and find the sweet spot you like best, they really are sweet pickups.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so happy u got it…

classics rule…and ur top is among the coolest I’ve ever seen as I typically like plain tops, especially with off-beat cool features like yours

love it and consider me a fan

-chris

dro

Reaction score
Glad I didn't see that one hanging in a store. I like unusual.
I like a guitar I can spot as mine from across the room.
I'm with the OP though.
Les Paul's should have Stoptail Bridge, and 3 way non splitting pickups. Nibs over fret ends.
1960RI.JPG

1968RI.JPG

2012   2.JPG

Cherrybed.JPG

WineRedLP.jpg

Dessert burst.jpg
BB.jpg

cherryfront.jpg

gkelm

Reaction score
Love the look! The color is much better in your pics, and the board does look fine. Harness is an easy swap if you need to.

And, I’m not typically a fan of zebras, but those look right on that top.

Last edited:

DBDM

Reaction score
That is an example of "you typically only get one chance to buy it". Pass on that unique of a guitar and there is a very real chance that you never see it or one similar ever again! i SERIOUSLY doubt you will regret it in the future and if you do you can likely still profit! There will likley always be a market for good LPs with interesting wood grains. Plenty of gold tops and pretty flame in the world (not knocking them, just fact). Very few...(whatever we are calling that grain)...LPs.

Edit--Birdseye Quilt Bubble Flame?
PS--I love the streaks in the fingerboard. Very nice. That guitar OOOZES character. My advice is play it and tweak it before making too many changes. You might love it as-is if you give it a chance!

Blushingmule

Reaction score
Here are some photos and observations!

The pros:
- Nearly perfect fit and finish. Fretboard is super clean with no tooling marks. No finish defects whatsoever.
- Plays incredibly well and sounds great.

The cons:
- A bit of a chunker. It's on the heavy side for sure.
- One of the reflectors fell off and the knob appears cracked. That's an easy fix though.
- Neck is slightly thinner than I'd like.

The top is interesting for sure. It looks very different at every angle so I tried to capture that. I actually like the streaking on the fretboard as well. It has that redness of old Brazilian rosewood furniture. Obviously, it isn't that but I think it suits this guitar.

Besides that, there's some cosmetic stuff I don't particularly like about this model that are easily changeable. I've always preferred nickel covered pickups and think it would make this guitar look a little sharper. I swapped out the "Classic" truss rod cover with a plain black one. The font just looks huge and kinda cheap to me. And I never liked the look of the grover tuners so I ordered replacement buttons that look more like Kluson's. Basically, just making it more like a '59 '60 Les Paul, where this one has more of a Sunset Strip/Slash kinda vibe.

Not a 100% sure I'll keep it so I want to see how I bond with it for a week or so. If I get used to the neck profile and that sort of thing. Without installing the pickup covers, I can easily place those on there, change the tuning buttons, and see if the final result is exactly what I want. I'm only going to have one burst style Les Paul so it has to be right. But this seems like a pretty great one for this price point.
View attachment 636779 View attachment 636781 View attachment 636780
All it needs is 2 pup covers. Great funky top btw!
p.s. If it was Dharma's he'd name it Gozira ;-)

Bob

Last edited:

55special

Reaction score
Really appreciate all the nice comments! I was initially going to post this guitar so someone else on the forum could snag it. It was pure chance I came across it. I was returning a cymbal I had ordered from Guitar Center online. I just wanted to have a look at the guitars for fun and spotted it. I could not imagine buying it because I just upgraded my entire rig this year. But this guitar was still on my mind for over a week and I was lucky enough it was still there. I think especially with Les Paul's, when you spot one that speaks to you, you have to jump on them. There is only one other Les Paul I've had that kind of reaction to and I regret not buying it.

I can't wait to post pics with some of the visual mods I've done. I think it looks substantially better with '59 appointments. I also weighed it at 9lbs 5 oz. So it's heavy but not crazy heavy.

55special

Reaction score
Glad I didn't see that one hanging in a store. I like unusual.
I like a guitar I can spot as mine from across the room.
I'm with the OP though.
Les Paul's should have Stoptail Bridge, and 3 way non splitting pickups. Nibs over fret ends.
View attachment 637411
View attachment 637412
View attachment 637413
View attachment 637414

View attachment 637416
View attachment 637417 View attachment 637418
View attachment 637419
This post should be referenced any time someone tries to say that all Les Paul's are the same! I'm speaking of family members, of course. I know I'm already going to get grief for this one because "I already have a Les Paul." Each of yours are extremely unique from each other. Amazing collection!

Latest Threads