(Now NGD) Thoughts on this Les Paul Classic? Very unusual top.

55special

Reaction score
I haven't been interested in a Les Paul in a very long time but this Les Paul Classic caught my eye. Never seen a top like this. And certainly not on a Classic. It's bird's eye on the bottom half and kind of this broken glass flame on the top. I'm not crazy about all the push/pull stuff or I'd probably jump on this. Ok.. let's be honest. If it weren't for the money, I'd jump on this haha.

IMG_8994.jpg

strayedstrater

Reaction score
That's the type of figure that makes me drool with lust. The $3100 top's "perfect flame" looks pretty much like every perfect top. Chaotic figure makes a top unique.

Did they take it down so you could see it from different angles? It may not be as dramatic under different lighting. (Not necessarily a bad thing -- I like peek-a-boo figure.)

55special

Reaction score
That's the type of figure that makes me drool with lust. The $3100 top's "perfect flame" looks pretty much like every perfect top. Chaotic figure makes a top unique.

Did they take it down so you could see it from different angles? It may not be as dramatic under different lighting. (Not necessarily a bad thing -- I like peek-a-boo figure.)
I think we're on the same page there. There's nothing that interesting to me about a perfect flame. I'm always drawn to the ones with scattered flame, mineral streaks, etc. I was not remotely looking for a Les Paul and this one jumped out at me.

I didn't ask to take it down because I knew I would buy it haha. I could tell looking at it that it was nicer up close.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think the Classic looks fantastic, definitely a sweet top on that Honeyburst and one of the best I've seen for sure. Especially since they are supposed to be a plain top and those wood grains are totally sweet looking.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I guess you went back to the store and had them take it down for you.

Demon Dave

Reaction score
I have always found it kind of cringey to name guitars, but I think you just named this one haha.

Btw... I bought it! Will post more details tomorrow.
Well done and HNGD, I bought my Classic ‘cause it has a unique top too

55special

Reaction score
Here are some photos and observations!

The pros:
- Nearly perfect fit and finish. Fretboard is super clean with no tooling marks. No finish defects whatsoever.
- Plays incredibly well and sounds great.

The cons:
- A bit of a chunker. It's on the heavy side for sure.
- One of the reflectors fell off and the knob appears cracked. That's an easy fix though.
- Neck is slightly thinner than I'd like.

The top is interesting for sure. It looks very different at every angle so I tried to capture that. I actually like the streaking on the fretboard as well. It has that redness of old Brazilian rosewood furniture. Obviously, it isn't that but I think it suits this guitar.

Besides that, there's some cosmetic stuff I don't particularly like about this model that are easily changeable. I've always preferred nickel covered pickups and think it would make this guitar look a little sharper. I swapped out the "Classic" truss rod cover with a plain black one. The font just looks huge and kinda cheap to me. And I never liked the look of the grover tuners so I ordered replacement buttons that look more like Kluson's. Basically, just making it more like a '59 '60 Les Paul, where this one has more of a Sunset Strip/Slash kinda vibe.

Not a 100% sure I'll keep it so I want to see how I bond with it for a week or so. If I get used to the neck profile and that sort of thing. Without installing the pickup covers, I can easily place those on there, change the tuning buttons, and see if the final result is exactly what I want. I'm only going to have one burst style Les Paul so it has to be right. But this seems like a pretty great one for this price point.
IMG_9020.jpg
IMG_9016.jpg
IMG_9021.jpg

dcurran87

Reaction score
With that top and that rosewood board it would have to be an awful player for me to consider parting with it, that thing is SWEET!

55special

Reaction score
With that top and that rosewood board it would have to be an awful player for me to consider parting with it, that thing is SWEET!
Yeah.. you're not wrong! I haven't even conditioned the fretboard yet so it's going to look even better. And I must say, it plays effortlessly. I've just made a number of instrument purchases lately so I'm a little spooked. But I looked up probably 100 of these last night and didn't see another like it.

55special

Reaction score
Well done and HNGD, I bought my Classic ‘cause it has a unique top too
I just had a look at yours. That's pretty wicked how the flame outlines the burst. That is a total happy accident for something like that to happen.

Latest Threads