Now I wanna build one!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to a hardwood supplier tomorrow but don't know what to get. I want something that can be stained, not painted. Lt Dave suggested alder, is that stainable? Mahogany is right?
Here's another question, can I use just one board for the body, ie cut lengths and glue the for the body blank?
Alder takes stain very nicely. Mahogany too, although since mahogany is a darker wood to begin you are limited to using darker earthy colours for stain (red, brown etc.). For example blue stain on hog will look terrible.... like a muddy blue.....

Of course you can laminate cut pieces to make up the body. 2 piece or 3 piece is typical. Leo did it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Twist, I suggested alder because it's relatively inexpensive, and it's super easy on tools. It does take a stain well.

Fender used it when swamp ash supplies ran low in the early 60's. Rickenbacker used it on several models.

But id doesn't have much in the way of fancy grain. On the other hand, it doesn't have grain that needs filling, such as mahogany. I figured it to be an excellent choice for a first time build.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Alder takes stain very nicely. Mahogany too, although since mahogany is a darker wood to begin you are limited to using darker earthy colours for stain (red, brown etc.). For example blue stain on hog will look terrible.... like a muddy blue.....

Of course you can laminate cut pieces to make up the body. 2 piece or 3 piece is typical. Leo did it.
Yep. Fender didn't make one-piece bodies.

Leo was a master of economy. But he made a damn good guitar in spite of his thriftiness.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and bought the grizzly.

Getting closer...
Nice, man! Good saw.

Take the time to set up the blade bearings. Ask a lot of questions. We'll get you going good.

You're going to love that saw.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to a hardwood supplier tomorrow but don't know what to get. I want something that can be stained, not painted. Lt Dave suggested alder, is that stainable? Mahogany is right?
Here's another question, can I use just one board for the body, ie cut lengths and glue the for the body blank?
Twist, another thing,

You can buy hardwoods in 8/4 size. That's about 1 7/8 inches to 1 3/4 inches. That's what guitar companies do.

You can buy it in a width of 7 inches, glue them together. A clean up cut on a good table saw should be all you need to join the two pieces. I'm away from home right now, but when I get back I can describe how to clean up the edges good for joining without buying a joiner.

twst1up

Reaction score
So, I got wood...all thanks to u guys. MAJOR wood.
I'm trying to post pics but cant remember how atm.
Until then, I got some alder and maple in 8-4, and some mahogany and maple in 4-4

Last edited:

lowatter

Reaction score
I love working with alder. It has a wonderful spicy smell when you cut or sand it. It's very stable and sands easily. I've worked with it for years as a cabinet maker and used it for a couple of guitar builds as well.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Alder is easy on your tools, that's for sure.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, I got wood...all thanks to u guys. MAJOR wood.
I'm trying to post pics but cant remember how atm.
Until then, I got some alder and maple in 8-4, and some mahogany and maple in 4-4

Nice, man! get them pics sorted out..

twst1up

Reaction score
Got me a dewalt planer....moving

in baby steps (check the dates lol)

Planing my alder.....1 3/4 for a tele?

Latest Threads