Now I wanna build one!

Tweaker

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how much you want to do with it...if you just want to cut bodies out, the cheapest bandsaw from harbor freight will work. It won’t be the best but it’ll get the job done.

If you plan on resawing anything big enough for guitars, you’ll need a bigger and beefier saw. And I don’t have any experience here because I use my friend’s saw for this and couldn’t tell you any kind of spec.

My guess is, you’ll be pretty fired up after your first guitar and you’ll want to bookmatch some nice flamed maple for the next guitar, so you’ll probably be looking at a heartier saw.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
So that bandsaw was already gone by the time I contacted the guy.

So let me ask you guys...as far as a bandsaw, what would you recommend? I've been sticking a couple bucks away for this, not that I wanna spend it all.
That Grizzly is the one I have, I think. GO55P.

on bandsaws, you should save up nd get one that's bearing-guided. You need to have the same cut going on underneath as you do on top.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
don't know what your budget is or how much they are today, but i have a grizzly 555 i believe the model number is, and have had great luck with it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
don't know what your budget is or how much they are today, but i have a grizzly 555 i believe the model number is, and have had great luck with it.
That's mine too. The "Polar Bear" model. Does everything I want it to do.

twst1up

Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking that neighborhood for the price. Just about 725 delivered.
That's exactly what I was looking for, a solid recommendation. Thx.
Now i really wish i had jumped faster on the grizzly i had found

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking that neighborhood for the price. Just about 725 delivered.
That's exactly what I was looking for, a solid recommendation. Thx.
Now i really wish i had jumped faster on the grizzly i had found
Look for some deals, Twist.

I got mine delivered from Grizzly for around $500.

comes on a pallet. You have to do some assembly.

And when you get it, you'll need to set it up. The blade bearings and all that. Gotta have that blade tracking right.

Just ask here and we'll walk you through.

twst1up

Reaction score
Look for some deals, Twist.

I got mine delivered from Grizzly for around $500.

comes on a pallet. You have to do some assembly.

And when you get it, you'll need to set it up. The blade bearings and all that. Gotta have that blade tracking right.

Just ask here and we'll walk you through.
I bet black Friday season would have been a good time.
Where'd u get yours? Where should I look for deals?
Will i need a dock to ship too, or is that not a concern?

DaveR

Reaction score
If you’re buying new from Grizzly, I think their deal is you either need a loading dock OR your residential street has to be big enough to accommodate a semi with a lift gate. Then I think it’s your problem to get up the driveway and into the shop IIRC. Call their customer service (it’s based in America last time I called them) I guarantee they can answer any deliver questions.

The most important thing with used equipment is you have to ACT FAST. Be willing to leave work early if you can. If a listing on Craigslist is more than 48 hours old, it’s priced too high. Anything I would consider a “good deal” is usually gone within 4-6 hours. Take a stack of cash with you and take some extra. Be ready to negotiate, but also ready to pay asking price. Always ask if they’re selling anything else, that’s where I’ve got the absolute best deals. Maybe they weren’t quite ready to sell an item but I’m standing there with cash and a truck. You never know. Also be ready to walk away. I’ve done it a bunch. A few I regret not buying, but I don’t really regret anything I’ve brought home.

I went to buy a planer from CL and happened to also get a Delta standing drill press that he hadn’t considered selling yet for $100. I also bought a 6” jointer one time for average used price and the seller offered to throw in his router table for $15. I barely looked at it, just tossed it in the truck. When I got it home, what I thought was just a table and insert plate had a Makita router and a LIFT attached to it.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
also, don't know where you are, but you can go to grizzly and pickup. they have two or three warehouses.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bet black Friday season would have been a good time.
Where'd u get yours? Where should I look for deals?
Will i need a dock to ship too, or is that not a concern?
Twst, I ordered mine directly from Griz, when there was a sale.

I fear they don't even make the "Polar Bear" model anymore. I went looking.

But they do have comparable, similar models.

I will note that it had free shipping, which was a huge plus. It came on a pallet, in about three big pieces.

To look for deals , type "grizzly bandsaw deals" in the address bar without the quote marks.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be "Grizzly" brand. They do make a decent, rugged shop tool for a decent price.

It can be any quality brand, as long as it has bearing guides for the blade both up and down under the table.

I've seen (and used, once) the harbor freight 14" bandsaw, and it had bushings. Not so good for precision work.

I stress the bearings (they just about touch the blade, both sides and back of blade) because they provide blade stability for an accurate cut.

Say you are cutting for a headstock, and feeding the material in sideways Material on the headstock's edge.. On the top of the cut, you will follow the line for a nice, 5/8" thickness.

-But on the bottom, the blade gets torqued, and it may be cutting on the thinner side of the line. That means the headstock would be like 5/8" thick on the treble side, and 1/2" on the bass side.

-We sure don't want that. Voice of Experience talking here. It happened to me with a cheap ass bandsaw.

Use the maximum width blade you can. This helps, as wider blades don't skew so much.

There is a site I'll turn you on to that has a zillion bandsaw blades of every size and type. Your basic 14 inch bandsaw will use a blade of 92 1/2" to 93 1/2". Very common size.

Feed it slow. Very slow. Pushing the work in makes the blade skew.

Set up the bearing guides. This is imperative. We will walk you though.

Check out Delta and some of the other brands these guys recommend.

A Laguna or Jet would be great, for sure. But not all of us have $1,500 or more to spend on a band saw.

twst1up

Reaction score
So these grizzly bandsaws are on sale right now....is it time to jump? I've had the cash squirreled away for a while now just waiting for the right time

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i've had mine for several years and am well pleased with it. can't recall the model no, but it's a 14". perhaps the model is like 355 or 555. it will take up to a 3/4" blade which is great for resawing.

twst1up

Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and bought the grizzly.

Getting closer...

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I bit the bullet and bought the grizzly.

Getting closer...
Which one did you get? I like the Grizzly equipment but have a hard time getting it here in Canada. I think in the last couple of years there are more people that sell them here but I already bought a Laguna. I'm not particularly impressed with them. I'm sure you will love it. It is probably one of the most used and definitely one of the most versatile tools in my shop.

Cheers Peter.

twst1up

Reaction score
Which one did you get? I like the Grizzly equipment but have a hard time getting it here in Canada. I think in the last couple of years there are more people that sell them here but I already bought a Laguna. I'm not particularly impressed with them. I'm sure you will love it. It is probably one of the most used and definitely one of the most versatile tools in my shop.

Cheers Peter.
It's the g0555lx

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's the one i have. it has served me well. i think you will be very satisfied. congrats. new tools are almost as fun as new guitars.

Latest Threads