Now I know why people don't gig with McCarty era Gibsons

So What

Reaction score
:laugh2:

It was actually GIRLS who kept crashing into and were trying to crawl onto the stage. I have one of those mic stands with a snake on it. It's a good thing I had it, too, because 2 girls fell down and crashed right into my mic while I was singing. I'm lucky my teeth weren't knocked out.

And...it was another girl who kept trying to crawl onstage...over, and over. When she was done with that she tried to feel up my poor girlfriend sitting in the corner. :laugh2:

If that guitar had been knocked over and broken, it would have been the fault of one of those stupid little girls. Stated before..I don't mind big ugly dudes asking about the guitar because at least they know what it is and they respect it.

Quit your damn whining.

Geeze....some people are never happy! :shock:

Actinic

Reaction score
You made a wise decision. Keep the vintage guitar and the good amps & tubes for recording. Use the workingman's gear for gigging.

Chicken Wing

Banned
Reaction score
I played my '60 burst out twice this week....so much fun but also a little nerve racking.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I gig with all my vintage Gibsons - although for particularly rough gigs I will sometimes use a 1990 Standard, or my least favourite vintage guitar, a '57 Junior. It's lovely, but for whatever reason it's also the only one that I wouldn't cry about if the headstock got broken.

The way I see it, the biggest pleasure I get out of vintage guitar ownership is when they are cranked through a decent size amp with a good and loud drummer behind me. So why would I ever deny myself that big a pleasure? It's kind of what I bought them for.

Anyhow, your story reminds me of the end of a particularly rowdy gig about a year back, where the singer had stepped between me and a drunken punter just getting up from falling onto the front of a low stage right in front of me. There was beer all over my pedalboard, and I'd been splashed on the trousers and guitar plenty too, not just by this guy, but a whole bunch of drunken sh1theads that evening. After the last song, singer says to me, "If I hadn't stepped in you were going to kick that guy in the face, weren't you?" And I've got to admit, although I'm not a violent man, I really think I might have. I just hate it when they invade my workspace. They have a choice for where they need to be at any particular time, and I'm kind of stuck in the gap between a microphone and an amp.

Liam

MooCheng

Reaction score
We play a lot of nice venues and a lot of dives too. In those little places with a very low accessible stage or even setting up on the floor, I usually take the Epi and maybe the Tele.

I love playing the R7, but only take that to gigs with a nice high stage with limited access.

One night in a small club, set up on the floor, some drunk chic fell backwards over a monitor. Took out my mic stand and slammed my SM58 square on the floor. Then proceeded to plop her ass right on the center of my pedal board.

Finally got the dents out of the mic but it still works like a champ.
so you had a big muff on your pedal board

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Anyhow, your story reminds me of the end of a particularly rowdy gig about a year back, where the singer had stepped between me and a drunken punter just getting up from falling onto the front of a low stage right in front of me. There was beer all over my pedalboard, and I'd been splashed on the trousers and guitar plenty too, not just by this guy, but a whole bunch of drunken sh1theads that evening. After the last song, singer says to me, "If I hadn't stepped in you were going to kick that guy in the face, weren't you?" And I've got to admit, although I'm not a violent man, I really think I might have. I just hate it when they invade my workspace. They have a choice for where they need to be at any particular time, and I'm kind of stuck in the gap between a microphone and an amp.

Liam
That's similar to an incident I had many years ago. Except this one involved sloppy drunks and a fight. A small skirmish was making its way toward the stage. One of the instigators got knocked over a chair and fell to the floor rolling right up against my side of a very low stage.

I was wearing a sturdy pair of cowboy boots that night. Right when he rolled up against the stage, I just placed my boot on his head, pinning it between the floor and the side of the stage riser (it wasn't much different than propping your foot up on a wah wah). His arms and legs were flailing about but he couldn't budge because of his head. I kept playing guitar and managed to hold him there until the bouncers came and secured him. :cool:

kresho69

Reaction score
Nothing like a bunch of zombie-like binge drinkers crowding the stage and knocking over nice instruments!

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I think my girlfriend probably would've knocked that chick out. Unless she was really hot, then she could've wrecked both our gear.

Ive been guilty of moving monitors I didnt honestly need out into the floor to create a pre-trip zone for drunks to land on the clubs stuff before they can make it to me.
Seems like your shins can still sting pretty bad when you're drunk

58burst

Reaction score
For me a rough gig means a fender gig...
Just TRY and mess up a tele!:lol:

JJ Blair

Reaction score
I gig my McCartys all the time. However, only when there's a proper stage, etc.

yeti

Reaction score
During the heyday of punk (late 70's) a friend of mine gigged a '58 Vee. For "safety" he replaced the Gibson logo with an Ibanez logo. But that didn't help much so finally he switched to Telecasters for the ruff stuff. A Tele makes a much better baseball bat.

Latest Threads