Now I know why people don't gig with McCarty era Gibsons

goldtop0

Reaction score
What........... you mean that big ugly guys want to play it when you're at a gig:laugh2:

The_Sentry

Reaction score
What........... you mean that big ugly guys want to play it when you're at a gig:laugh2:
No, those people are no big deal. It was the stumbling, falling-down drunks who kept crashing into the stage and were hoving over me until the moment I put it in the case and got it out of there.

They didn't even care about playing it...they weren't even looking directly at it...but I had more people just fall down, fall over drunk and fall into me than any gig I can remember....that guitar is literally a drunk magnet! :shock:

I can't replace this, either. I can get other lefties, but something like this? Nope.

This guitar is going to be retired from gigging for the unforseeable future.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The best thing to do would be to sell it to me. I'll give it a warm loving home and only play it in the best venues, where there would be several big fellows who's job it is to keep drunks and the band separated. (Seriously if you ever find you've just got too many guitars and want to put that on the market please PM me!).

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I guess you play at the wrong venues. :thumb:
We all can't play the Royal Albert Hall! :laugh2:

The best thing to do would be to sell it to me. I'll give it a warm loving home and only play it in the best venues, where there would be several big fellows who's job it is to keep drunks and the band separated. (Seriously if you ever find you've just got too many guitars and want to put that on the market please PM me!).
:D

10 grand and its yours. ;)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
We all can't play the Royal Albert Hall! :laugh2:

:D

10 grand and its yours. ;)
That's a good price considering they didn't make many of those. I'd guess maybe 10 of those are out in the wild and that may be a high number. I'll ping you when bonuses go out later in the year...

The_Sentry

Reaction score
That's a good price considering they didn't make many of those. I'd guess maybe 10 of those are out in the wild and that may be a high number. I'll ping you when bonuses go out later in the year...
:hmm:

I'll admit I bought it as an investment and I knew that if I didn't...the chances of ever owning one were slim to none. It plays well (it still has the original frets and electronics)...but it's definitely a showpiece for the home. Truth be told when I gigged that night I was playing a couple of Mexican Fenders and I thought everything was just as good (if not better) on those because I can play those and beat on them and I don't have these concerns and tone minutia is lost on audiences like that, anyway..and I can just focus on what I'm doing...and not what I'm playing.

I may drag it out again...but not for that kind of event.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Yea, the vintage lefty options are next to nothing. I was looking for some old wood when I got my Les Paul but there was almost nothing out there, and what there was came with a hefty price tag. One very notable guitar I came across was a time capsule 57 Tele (actually I think it was older) in blue, which was a custom order and never used on a factory Tele that year. When I say time capsule I don't mean it was clean with some dents scrapes and finish checking (like most of the "time capsule" guitars I've seen), I mean this was bought, shoved under a bed unplayed and pulled out about 6 years ago to sell. I have no idea what the dealer paid for it but he wanted 75K for it. Crazy money for a Tele, but when you take into account the condition, the rarity of the finish and that it was a lefty I don't think it was too out of line. I may circle back with him and see if it sold, and if so for how much.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Yea, the vintage lefty options are next to nothing. I was looking for some old wood when I got my Les Paul but there was almost nothing out there, and what there was came with a hefty price tag. One very notable guitar I came across was a time capsule 57 Tele in I think blue, which was a custom order and never used on a factory Tele that year. When I say time capsule I don't mean it was clean with some dents scrapes and finish checking (like most of the "time capsule" guitars I've seen), I mean this was bought, shoved under a bed unplayed and pulled out about 6 years ago to sell. I have no idea what the dealer paid for it but he wanted 75K for it. Crazy money for a Tele, but when you take into account the condition, the rarity of the finish the that it was a lefty I don't think it was too out of line. I may circle back with him and see if it sold, and if so for how much.
You know, this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but unless you're a collector, I don't know if it's worth bothering with vintage instruments. Many play well, and some of the woods that were available offer up fantastic harmonic breakup, but as far as playing day-in and day-out, I'm not really certain if they're worth it. It's funny too because to a degree unless a guitar is picked up from time to time, it goes to rot. It will also fall apart if it's abused.

It's sort of a Catch-22 where an owner has to find a happy medium.

I still believe guitars are meant to be played. I wouldn't mind recording with mine or something like that 57 Tele, but as far as going home and practicing, I'd probably be just as happy with something that was a few years old and slightly used.

Alvinfan

Reaction score
I always bring my " Playmate of the year Les Paul " :thumb:
Only girls want to check that out :dude: ( here I considered a joke about "condomless rod, but I passed )

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I recommend my " Playmate of the year Les Paul " :thumb:
Only girls want to check that out :dude:
:laugh2:

It was actually GIRLS who kept crashing into and were trying to crawl onto the stage. I have one of those mic stands with a snake on it. It's a good thing I had it, too, because 2 girls fell down and crashed right into my mic while I was singing. I'm lucky my teeth weren't knocked out.

And...it was another girl who kept trying to crawl onstage...over, and over. When she was done with that she tried to feel up my poor girlfriend sitting in the corner. :laugh2:

If that guitar had been knocked over and broken, it would have been the fault of one of those stupid little girls. Stated before..I don't mind big ugly dudes asking about the guitar because at least they know what it is and they respect it.

yeti

Reaction score
You know, this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but unless you're a collector, I don't know if it's worth bothering with vintage instruments. Many play well, and some of the woods that were available offer up fantastic harmonic breakup, but as far as playing day-in and day-out, I'm not really certain if they're worth it. It's funny too because to a degree unless a guitar is picked up from time to time, it goes to rot. It will also fall apart if it's abused.

It's sort of a Catch-22 where an owner has to find a happy medium.

I still believe guitars are meant to be played. I wouldn't mind recording with mine or something like that 57 Tele, but as far as going home and practicing, I'd probably be just as happy with something that was a few years old and slightly used.

I have guitars especially for playing in situations like that, amps too. Those guitars cost me $39.95 and $168.00 and the amp was $200. Turns out I like that rig so much I take it to "safe" gigs as well.:D

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
:laugh2:

It was actually GIRLS who kept crashing into and were trying to crawl onto the stage. I have one of those mic stands with a snake on it. It's a good thing I had it, too, because 2 girls fell down and crashed right into my mic while I was singing. I'm lucky my teeth weren't knocked out.

And...it was another girl who kept trying to crawl onstage...over, and over. When she was done with that she tried to feel up my poor girlfriend sitting in the corner. :laugh2:
Have you considered the possibility that it is actually YOU that is a minge magnet??:hmm::naughty::laugh2:

LesLuvva

Reaction score
That's a shame. When you have something that nice, you want to show her off & make her sing. Oh well. Just take your Cherry Bomb out there; she's plenty of guitar and the drunks won't know the difference.

58burst

Reaction score
That's what the chicken wire across the front of the stage is for- to stop the drunks & catch the flying bottles! :laugh2:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
We play a lot of nice venues and a lot of dives too. In those little places with a very low accessible stage or even setting up on the floor, I usually take the Epi and maybe the Tele.

I love playing the R7, but only take that to gigs with a nice high stage with limited access.

One night in a small club, set up on the floor, some drunk chic fell backwards over a monitor. Took out my mic stand and slammed my SM58 square on the floor. Then proceeded to plop her ass right on the center of my pedal board.

Finally got the dents out of the mic but it still works like a champ.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility that it is actually YOU that is a minge magnet??:hmm::naughty::laugh2:
Possibly, Cookie-Boy. I've invested in newer hats as of late...:laugh2:

You know what's really funny? The guitar that delivered the bacon that night wasn't the Doublecut. In fact, the 2nd set (I played that guitar) was the most brutal one the band had that night. At a couple of points I lost the audience completely. So, rounding up to the 3rd which was close to the Midnight Countdown, I grabbed the guitar I knew was in tune...

It was this one. A Mexican Strat I bought for 85 dollars off of Craigslist and did some tweaks to. I ended out playing the meat of the show on this guitar....not the Doublecut.

jaik

Reaction score
I don't know if it's worth bothering with vintage instruments. Many play well, and some of the woods that were available offer up fantastic harmonic breakup
I think you just described my reasoning why non-vintage instruments aren't worth bothering with. :thumb:

Latest Threads