Now answering computer related questions.

bfcg

Reaction score
How often should I defrag my disk, and any optimization tricks for Vista?
If I may interject here...
I have been using Diskeeper on all of my machines for 2 years now and it keeps your disks defragged on the fly and does not hog recources.
Absolutly recommended if you move large files and videos and do a lot of deleting.
You will never do a manual defrag again.

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
Thanks bfcg for the suggestion. All Anti-Virus programs are system hogs. Mcafee is one of the worst though. I have used Norton, AVG free, And Anti spyware bot. Norton was OK, AVG was very good for a free one although recent reports say it is not good anymore. So far out of the three I like Anti Spyware bot. It doesnt give you notifications and I run it in the background on my only windows comp a 1.7Ghz P4 so it is not that bad of a system hog.

arcanis494

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have to set up a static Ip address to forward a port

What is the best way to do that?

Hemply

Reaction score
How's your DOS?

I currently have many tracks/midi setting of sampled music that I desperately NEED, like two weeks ago, on a 1980-ish PC, using Microsoft Studio. When booting up asks for OS disc... and we're talking 3.5 floppy.:laugh2:

Only shit like this happens to me.:rolleyes:

It's the MAN!!!:shock:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The cure to a PC problem, BUY A MAC. Just sayin.

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
Actually the cure is LINUX. It will run on any PC or MAC. I have even seen distros that run on Commodore 64s and older computers. You can run it on cellphones, mp3 players, flashdrives pretty much anything. AND IT WORKS

broke_player

Reaction score
Cool,
My mom likes to play games on her laptop, she got that text twist. When she first got it, it would go to full screen mode, then one day it wouldn't. She can still play it but not in full screen. When you click on the top right corner expander thing it just 'blinks' and stays half size. I tried going into its properties and menus to make it full screen but no dice. My mom keeps bugging me if I can figure it out but so far nothing. Vista by the way, any help??:)

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
Ok I dont know of a cure all for this but here is a few suggestions. Try reinstalling the game I have had programs do screwy stuff like this and reinstalling works most of the time. Check your graphics driver to make sure it is the most recent version. I did google your question but i did not find much. If possible and if all else fails try running the game from the command console and post the outcome. I dont even know if that is possible in vista but it is worth a try.

Redbird

Reaction score
cool thread!!

Quick question. old computer that runs slow. Mainly start up and apps. I have done all the routine maint, but still slow. is the computer just aged, or can it be brought up to speed?
Compaq presario

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
Oh and hemply my DOS isnt great mainly because It was a little before my time. You can make a DOS boot disc in Windows by inserting a floppy and right click Format it is pretty straight forward from there. Also if that doesnt work you could try a program like freeDOS I have never used it but it might work.

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
How old are we talking. I use linux on some very old laptops and it runs great. The other thing you could do is reinstall the old operating system that is on it currently. Things to do with an old computer « Motho ke motho ka botho I have seen longer and better lists so if you dont find something in that list GOOGLE it.

P.S. I am going to sleep soon so ask away all night long and i will answer all of your questions in the morning

USP45Tim

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a built in cup holder in my computer and it won't come out anymore. Help!

Redbird

Reaction score
Thanks Tux
Its not a dinosaur, only about 6 years old. I have reset to factory defaults about three times, only works temporarily. I will try the link.

Thanks for the help!

mrpesca

Reaction score
How often should I defrag my disk, and any optimization tricks for Vista?
Defrag is automatic in Vista unless you turn it off. You don't have to do anything. Ever notice the disc making all kinds of noise while you are doing nothing?

WHat is the best anti-virus program? I am annoyed by McAfee and want to try something else.
Anything BUT Mcafee or Norton. Try Nod32. It's what I recommend to all my customers. Uses very little of the system resources.

Tux_Fan

Reaction score
Ok maybe another couple posts :D Nice cup holder. Thanks for the suggestion mrpesca it helps to have more than one opinion.

Hemply

Reaction score
Oh and hemply my DOS isnt great mainly because It was a little before my time. You can make a DOS boot disc in Windows by inserting a floppy and right click Format it is pretty straight forward from there. Also if that doesnt work you could try a program like freeDOS I have never used it but it might work.
Thanks I'll look into that.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what about OS/2 Warp, the greatest OS ever made
It was decades ahead of its time and I was real upset when IBM withdrew support for it. It was a true multitasking graphical OS that ran rings around Windows, Linux wasn't even viable back then. Great OS.