Not Sure what acoustic

PopPunkRocker15

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. So next month I will be getting another guitar, this time I am looking for an acoustic. I honestly don't even know where to begin. My current acoustic is an early 90's Oscar Schmidt that has been great to me (I know it isn't an expensive guitar, but it was my brother's before he died then it came to me, so lots of sentimental value there). It has been getting more and more worn and I want to put it on the wall for good before I destroy it.

I am thinking in the $500-800 range (I know, that isn't a ton for a guitar, but the wife would never let me drop 1k+ on a guitar at this point). I don't mind getting something used if it plays well. I owned an Ibanez PF15ECE which was alright. Not sure if I actually need a cutaway or not. But yeah.

TL;DR: Need suggestions for a decentish Acoustic-Electric in the $500-800 range.

Thanks!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. So next month I will be getting another guitar, this time I am looking for an acoustic. I honestly don't even know where to begin. My current acoustic is an early 90's Oscar Schmidt that has been great to me (I know it isn't an expensive guitar, but it was my brother's before he died then it came to me, so lots of sentimental value there). It has been getting more and more worn and I want to put it on the wall for good before I destroy it.

I am thinking in the $500-800 range (I know, that isn't a ton for a guitar, but the wife would never let me drop 1k+ on a guitar at this point). I don't mind getting something used if it plays well. I owned an Ibanez PF15ECE which was alright. Not sure if I actually need a cutaway or not. But yeah.

TL;DR: Need suggestions for a decentish Acoustic-Electric in the $500-800 range.

Thanks!
If you spend anywhere near that on a Yamaha, you will have a fabulous acoustic guitar. :acoustic:

TaylorPlayer

Reaction score
Much more bang for your buck on the used side especially before and after Christmas. Check Craigslist so you can play it first as that is important.

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
At that price range there are quite a few options, ranging from high end yamahas to low end martins and Taylors. So the suggestion, as always, is to go to a guitar store, give yourself a few hours, and play everything you can get your hands on. Then get your favorite thing that you are willing to spend. You don't even need to look at the price when you first pick it up. If a $100 epiphone sounds best to you, go for it.

nutsauce

Reaction score
I played some made in China Guild's in that price range the other day that really surprised me. Eastman also makes some great guitars for that price tag.

Meepers

Reaction score
For your price range there are a bunch of pretty good guitars. If you go the used route, you can probably pick up a Martin D-15 a Used Taylor 200 or possibly a 300 series guitar. But if you want to go new, some of the Martin HPL guitars sound pretty good. And the Taylor GS mini's really aren't that mini when compared to a LX1 or baby Taylor. You can also pick up a 100 series Taylor easily. There are a few good Guild and Breedlove guitars, but I am personally a Taylor and Martin guy for acoustics. I've had a lot of different acoustic guitars over the years, only one I wish I never sold was a Martin D-15 mahogany. Now I have a Taylor 310ce and a Martin D 28, with my eye on a Martin 00015M. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

A lot of people don't like Taylor Expression system (if you're looking acoustic/electric), but I love it. I have an older guitar with a single AA battery. Played open mic steady every Monday night for years. Guitar never let me down, and the battery only died on me once. Only guitar i heard all those years that had a better sound than mine, was a Martin 00018.

My 2 cents.

PopPunkRocker15

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I am definitely thinking of looking into a used Martin or Taylor to see if I can find a decent one of those. I was also going to look into Takamine a bit as I played one years ago that was great. So we will see! Really appreciate the feedback thus far!

PopPunkRocker15

Reaction score
Does anyone own, or have played some, the Epiphone Masterbilts? I like Epiphone, but I've never tried their acoustic line at all.

Meepers

Reaction score
I have not. But I know a few years back my buddy was on the hunt for one. Played a few, ended up buying a breedlove instead. He said they were nice, but there is definitely nicer guitars out there.

bigsnaketex

Reaction score
the Epi is not a good acoustic guitar - even the Masterbilts.

I'd go for a Taylor 216 - you can talk them down to $799 on those or find a used 200 series for $500.

For the money you want to spend, that's as good as you're going to get.

You have to spend at least $2K to get a decent acoustic these days and really $4K is the bottom line for a really good one.

They cost lots of money but are worth it. I went through a lot of acoustics before I settled on my Gibson J-200, Taylor K28 and Martin D45. Those 3 suit whatever gig I'm playing.

jd2112

Reaction score
I played a Taylor 210. Nice guitar for the price. That thing had more bottom end than the Kardashians couch!!

danohat

Reaction score
I have fallen in love with the Takamine gj72 after playing one. I have been missing out.

PopPunkRocker15

Reaction score
I have fallen in love with the Takamine gj72 after playing one. I have been missing out.
That is actually one of the ones I am definitely thinking about. The nicest guitar I have personally ever played was a Takamine. Felt absolutely great in my hands, played like butter, but just didn't have the money for it at that time (I think it was 900, I was in medic training for the army, immediately after Basic Training) so I ended up getting the Ibanez which had bad fret buzz and what not. If I went back and did it again I would have gotten that Takamine.

Latest Threads