Not Sure I should Post This

sonar1

Reaction score
Back to the idea of single pup guitars. I understand why some players prefer them, as they don’t have as much magnetic pull on the strings. In two or three pup guitars, there is more magnetic string pull, which is said to harm tone and sustain. Now as I tend to play two pup guitars set with both on, I have a question. How would it be to have a single pup in the middle position?

(Note: I apologize for posting about a guitar subject in the backstage.)
I had an ES-225 once with a single P-90 in the middle.
Sounded fine!
That gives me a idea for another Apache :naughty::naughty:

slug_maine

Reaction score
There have been booms, and there have been busts. Unfortunately, these are inevitable given the structure of our economy. But there are very unusual factors at work here. We have supply shortages, and this reason isn’t only high gas prices. There is a labor shortage. Only 3.7% unemployment. It is considered that 4% is actually full employment due to people in job transition. Every business is under staffed, and employment applicants just aren’t there. As a result of these factors, there is a shortage of everything — not just gasoline. This has driven prices up fo everything — not just gasoline. I can’t recall a time when everything in the economy was in short supply. This rather large part of the problem is without precedent. Therefore, nobody really knows the future of thismess.
I agree, this time is different. Too many incompetents in places of power. Jerome Powell is a day late and a dollar short. Yellen....umphah!

slug_maine

Reaction score
Purely anecdotal, but at a trucking forum I visit the general tone of the drivers is "what happened"? LTL (less than truckload) companies that couldn't find enough drivers last year are now laying off drivers, cancelling runs or running empties one way. The LTL market has always been a good early indicator of what's to come economically.

slug_maine

Reaction score
Another trucking related tidbit, the United States is going to run out of diesel oil in 8 weeks and it won't be back until early next year. The companies that make the specially formulated oil can't get the additives for it.

05jrock

Reaction score
Another trucking related tidbit, the United States is going to run out of diesel oil in 8 weeks and it won't be back until early next year. The companies that make the specially formulated oil can't get the additives for it.

Australia almost had a big issue with the trucking industry late last year, The country nearly ran out of adblue, Because the Chinese decided to not sell us one of the main ingredients.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an ES-225 once with a single P-90 in the middle.
Sounded fine!
That gives me a idea for another Apache :naughty::naughty:

Always thought the bridge pickup was too close to the bridge.... A P90 in the middle would sound righteous I would think....especially a P90....

A Junior sounds great even though the pickup is near the bridge, far better than a humbucker in that position.... I bet a P90 a good bit away from bridge but not all the way to neck would be pretty versatile...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine companies just use the same layout for bridge whether single PU or dual and I understand it is easier to just not cut for a neck PU....but not much 'can' sound worse than playing rhythm on a Lester bridge humbucking PU... and I love Lesters and love the bridge for hot soloing... Clean and rhythm stuff, to me sounds far too nasal...

sonar1

Reaction score
Always thought the bridge pickup was too close to the bridge.... A P90 in the middle would sound righteous I would think....especially a P90....

A Junior sounds great even though the pickup is near the bridge, far better than a humbucker in that position.... I bet a P90 a good bit away from bridge but not all the way to neck would be pretty versatile...
IIRC it sounded nice and full.
I don’t remember that pickup position interfered with my picking.
Nothing much does. :shock:

Reactions: ehb

slug_maine

Reaction score

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC it sounded nice and full.
I don’t remember that pickup position interfered with my picking.
Nothing much does. :shock:

Heel of my right hand is always anchored so I don't much care what is 'under' the strings. I don't hit it.... I was taught to anchor for repeatability... My late big bro was 'good' <cough> to give me tips... usually ending with 'dumbass' when I was learning instruments as a kid...

sonar1

Reaction score
Heel of my right hand is always anchored so I don't much care what is 'under' the strings. I don't hit it.... I was taught to anchor for repeatability... My late big bro was 'good' <cough> to give me tips... usually ending with 'dumbass' when I was learning instruments as a kid...
Oh I move around.

But as I say, it wouldn’t hurt my technique much were my hands webbed.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I move around.

But as I say, it wouldn’t hurt my technique much were my hands webbed.

I put ebony ramps on my Jazz basses. Makes it easy to know exactly where my hand is by touch. For bass, the only thing better than a ramp is that long ass wood rail above E string Godin put on their piezo only bass years ago. runs from almost bridge to past neck pickup...

'Ramp' goes between pickups and uses the pickup screws to secure it.... Love em... Here is one of my Jazz basses with the ramp..... (and the Kickass hi-mass bridge)

IMG-20190221-135354.jpg

six-string

Reaction score
Slide master Ry Cooder has had lots of guitars built with just a single pickup in the "Middle" or centre position. sounds good to me.

1656033153835.png

course I should mention he is also partial to older style pickups like 'Bigsby' and Supro and other early electric versions. I've seen one or two of his guitars that he put a pickup that was originally intended for an eight string electric lap steel on a Strat body. of course he uses a lot of open tunings, so there is that too.

Last edited:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a production guitar with a single pup mounted in the middle position? I’d like to test-play one to see if it works the way o think it would (produce “my tone” with less magnetic pull on the strings). This was just an idea that popped in my mind while reading of Sonar’s preference for single pup guitars.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my small pot o' cash out the markets two years ago. Never going back to investing in those markets. I'm all in for crypto, even with the massive fall recently I'm still making money dipping in and out.

Latest Threads